Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's Confirmed, Men Are Pigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    you are so full of crap.
    Bothering people is not rude. Got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Bothering people is not rude. Got it.
      You're a whiner, who is afraid of interacting with others. Got it.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

10 hours worth of walking around and having less than 2 minutes worth of 'material' doesn't seem to be a huge issue at all PM. Perhaps I'm just not quite that stuck up that I assume any man who tells me 'hello' or 'good morning' is attempting to hit on me either or maybe I'm just a friendly person that finds it rather rude to just pretend as though nobody else exist. Of course, the icing on the cake seems to be a man attempt to tell a women how 'bothersome' it is daring to have somebody talk to you. Such a horrible burden having to say 'hello' to somebody.
        I'm relaying what female acquaintances have told me. I'm not going to speak for them, I'm just saying what I've been told. I don't know if you've ever lived in a big city like NYC, but there's a difference in the culture there. Maybe you might change your mind if you lived there. Or maybe it just doesn't bother you. It bothers some people.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        And you, seem to be a rather stuck up individual that can't stand giving somebody a 5 second greeting. Perhaps you're the problem with the US today. How dare the lower classes tell you hello and dare address you? Eh?
        I have no problem with being friendly. People in NYC aren't very friendly. I think you are misconstruing what is going on in the video with what you're used to in less urban environments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          So it's only OK to say "hi" to unattractive women? That sounds pretty sexist.
          It's not okay to say hi to people if your intention is to express your attraction or to bother people. It is okay to say hi to people if you are being friendly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            So you found THESE PARTICULAR GUYS? Or are you making a sweeping generalization based on unrelated data?
            I've walked down many different streets in different parts of NYC at different times of day and with different people or alone. Thus, I can compare my experience with hers.

Comment

I'm relaying what female acquaintances have told me. I'm not going to speak for them, I'm just saying what I've been told. I don't know if you've ever lived in a big city like NYC, but there's a difference in the culture there. Maybe you might change your mind if you lived there. Or maybe it just doesn't bother you. It bothers some people.
              Well, gives me a good reason why I never want to live in New York. It seems a simple 'hello' will have people crashing charges of harassment upon you and people gasp and wonder why American's are often seen as unfriendly and rude? With attitudes like that, in one of our major cities. I can see why foreigners would see us that way.

I have no problem with being friendly. People in NYC aren't very friendly. I think you are misconstruing what is going on in the video with what you're used to in less urban environments.
              I've lived in urban environments most of my life PM. I personally would rather live in or near a city vs out in the country. From what I've found, we're rated number 7 as the most unfriendliest countries in the world. With an attitude like that, where somebody dares to say hello to you constitutes as harassment, I can see why. Thank you for reminding me why I generally despise New York City and would never want to live there (much as I generally despise Los Angles and would never want to live there).
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's not okay to say hi to people if your intention is to express your attraction or to bother people. It is okay to say hi to people if you are being friendly.
                Than I would have never met my husband... yep sounds like a good plan.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                  I hope everyone else is as amused as I am about how the conversation on this has played out so far.

PM: I disagree with most of what you said. I understand that the context of a comment can mean more than the comment itself, but that doesn't make a simple "hello" harassment. It may well mean the woman regards it as such...but that's just a sad fact of the degraded environment the woman lives in. It doesn't actually make saying 'hello' harassment. And the motive behind the comment isn't the only important factor either. If I approach a woman whom I find attractive and try to strike up a conversation (because I want to ask for her number), it's not catcalling or harassment unless my the content or tone of my words are disrespectful (or perhaps if I continue trying to talk to her if she's clearly not interested in talking to me). But simply saying, "hello" while also finding the person sexually attractive does not automatically equate to harassment.
                  People use the word "hello" in different ways. Most of the time, it's a greeting. It can also be used to grab people's attention. It can be used to mock someone. It can be used to express attraction. I feel like I am talking to aliens. People in NYC don't say a friendly hello to people walking down the street. It just doesn't happen. It happens often in other places, but not there.

Comment

Well, gives me a good reason why I never want to live in New York. It seems a simple 'hello' will have people crashing charges of harassment upon you and people gasp and wonder why American's are often seen as unfriendly and rude? With attitudes like that, in one of our major cities. I can see why foreigners would see us that way.
                    New York City can be a pretty rude place.

I've lived in urban environments most of my life PM. I personally would rather live in or near a city vs out in the country. From what I've found, we're rated number 7 as the most unfriendliest countries in the world. With an attitude like that, where somebody dares to say hello to you constitutes as harassment, I can see why. Thank you for reminding me why I generally despise New York City and would never want to live there (much as I generally despise Los Angles and would never want to live there).
                    Saying hello as a greeting is fine. Saying hello as an expression of your attraction is not.

Comment

Saying hello as an expression of your attraction is not.
                      Why?
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

New York City can be a pretty rude place.
                        And thus why I despise New York with a passion and avoid it, at all cost.

Saying hello as a greeting is fine. Saying hello as an expression of your attraction is not.
                        Because (this is where you give an actual reason, not an assertion)...

Interestingly enough, I met my now husband though a hello. I guess it was wrong of him to tell me hello than? What a shame... and here I thought humans might want to get to know other humans and possibility find their better half. How do you expect to find your better half if you walk around with a stick shoved in your you know what and will not acknowledge anybody walking by or around you?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Why?
                          Because peasants should know better than to talk to their betters?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Why?
                            Women in our society are reduced to sexual or aesthetic objects. Focusing on sexual or aesthetic qualities in an inappropriate context, in this case a neutral context, promotes that reduction.

Comment

And thus why I despise New York with a passion and avoid it, at all cost.
                              I don't like it much either, but for different reasons.

Because (this is where you give an actual reason, not an assertion)...

Interestingly enough, I met my now husband though a hello. I guess it was wrong of him to tell me hello than? What a shame... and here I thought humans might want to get to know other humans and possibility find their better half. How do you expect to find your better half if you walk around with a stick shoved in your you know what and will not acknowledge anybody walking by or around you?
                              Because it's rude. Because it bothers someone. Because of systemic sexism and the objectification of women.

Saying hello if you want to greet someone or get to know them is great. I have no issue with that.

Comment

Women in our society are reduced to sexual or aesthetic objects. Focusing on sexual or aesthetic qualities in an inappropriate context, in this case a neutral context, promotes that reduction.
                                In other words, you haven't got a clue what you're talking about and keep showing it. I'm sorry PM, but I tend to rather enjoy the fact that my husband finds me pretty and most of my girl friends rather enjoy the compliments from their other half too. Besides, it isn't as though it is totally one sided. Do you really think women don't find some men attractive too and don't talk to men we find attractive? Thing is though, how do you decided if somebody is more than a 'pretty face' if you don't actually know something about them (such as seeing how friendly they are by a common greeting)?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment