Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas rural Conservative racism - Calvin Beckett in the movie American Violet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Let's try again . . .

You have resorted to name calling and things I should have done in some particular order, so what? your approach is sort of a fallacy of fault finding instead of addressing the subject of the thread. Let's deal with the fact of the case according to the Brennan Center Report. If you have counter references that the Brennan Center report is inaccurate, wrong or whatever, please present it. I will continue to present more evidence of unconstitutional and illegal racial profiling and the consequences of these actions in American Law. I may also cite more references concerning the subject of the thread.

Question is the Brennan Center report accurate
    Dear Shuny....

You are from North Carolina, yes?
    You have demonstrated that, though you seem to be pretty durn intelligent in SOME areas, you haven't got the common sense that God gave a pissant.
    THEREFORE, I should conclude that ALL otherwise intelligent people from North Carolina are dumb as turkeypoop when it comes to common sense.

Would that be a fair assessment?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let's try again . . .

You have resorted to name calling and things I should have done in some particular order, so what?
      You're right, Shuny... you have the right to do stuff backwards in a dumb way. And I apologize to true Jackwagons all across the country for putting you in their company.

your approach is sort of a fallacy of fault finding instead of addressing the subject of the thread.
      Nope. You're wrong AGAIN.

Let's deal with the fact of the case according to the Brennan Center Report.
      Where you should have started in the first place.

If you have counter references that the Brennan Center report is inaccurate, wrong or whatever, please present it.
      I made no such claim whatsoever.

I will continue to present more evidence of unconstitutional and illegal racial profiling and the consequences of these actions in American Law. I may also cite more references concerning the subject of the thread.
      So, you're going to select a case that was SO horrific that they made a MOVIE out of it, and attempt to paint the entire "rural America" with that broad brush. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Question is the Brennan Center report accurate
      I have no reason to suspect it is not. As I have ALREADY STATED, it was up the road from me in HEARNE, TEXAS, Robertson County, where things are REALLY kinda "back woods" and not representative of Texas, rural America, or America as a whole.

PS. If that last thing was a question, it shoulda had a question mark at the end. Just sayin'. (I think you're rattled)
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, you're going to select a case that was SO horrific that they made a MOVIE out of it, and attempt to paint the entire "rural America" with that broad brush. Doesn't surprise me in the least.
        Seems like what Shuny likes doing is to make broad brush claims, and when someone tries to discuss them or debate them, he reverts to talking about that one particular case. He brought up racial profiling in general, yet when I tried to discuss that, he kept asking what my examples had do do with the movie case.

I am pretty sure that he does it on purpose, to avoid having to defend his claims.

--------

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/wa...tfuldodger.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Seems like what Shuny likes doing is to make broad brush claims, and when someone tries to discuss them or debate them, he reverts to talking about that one particular case. He brought up racial profiling in general, yet when I tried to discuss that, he kept asking what my examples had do do with the movie case.

I am pretty sure that he does it on purpose, to avoid having to defend his claims.

--------

Yeah, and in his OP.... (bolding mine)
          Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I watched the movie American Violet today, and it revealed that overt radical racism still persists in America today, particularly in rural America.

... Apparently things have not changed all that much.

Why have the Conservative powers in the America been silent and not spoken out against this in America?
          He makes the buttdumb statement "things have not changed all that much", yet he managed to help elect a BLACK president who appointed a racist activist BLACK Attorney General.... nope, nothing has changed!

And, he blames "Conservative powers in America" for this, when it's his black/liberal race baiter heroes and poverty pimps who perpetuate a lot of this stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

--------

That and when he can't avoid much longer he just says "you're biased!". Then there was the time a discussion on the Quran came up, and I was compared to Islamic terrorists for denouncing what the Quran teaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              That and when he can't avoid much longer he just says "you're biased!". Then there was the time a discussion on the Quran came up, and I was compared to Islamic terrorists for denouncing what the Quran teaches.
              What about all his kabuki dancing while he uses that tired old cliche "duck bob and weave" nonsense, while ducking, bobbing, weaving AND kabuki dancing?

(OK, we're piling on )

Comment

What about all his kabuki dancing while he uses that tired old cliche "duck bob and weave" nonsense, while ducking, bobbing, weaving AND kabuki dancing?
                I was thinking about that myself recently. There are two options, he doesn't notice that's what he's doing, or he's a hypocrite.

(OK, we're piling on )
                True, but I thought I should point out another of his "tactics".

Comment

• So, let's see if he....

A) Ducks
                  2) Bobs
                  C) Weaves
                  D) Kabuki Dances
                  5) or just ignores.....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Now, it is on YOU to show where I EVER said, OR IMPLIED, that the movie was either "ABSOLUTELY FALSE" (Your GOOFY ASSumption) or even "MOSTLY FALSE" (I have already showed you were I said quite the OPPOSITE)

So... back up your goofy claims, Shuny... provide the quote where I said EITHER of those things ... or that I said it was false in ANY major aspect.
                  You're ON, Shuny!

Oh, and while you're at it, you kinda DuckBobWeaveKabukiDanced this one, too....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  WHY is this the job of "Conservative powers in America", Shuny? And where do you get this GOOFY claim? I, for example, am pretty conservative, and next week we will be conducting a "Jobs for Life" program for 8 weeks (16 classes) that will be comprised almost entirely of blacks and hispanics, teaching them job skills, resume writing, interviewing skills, and awarding those who complete the course with a $500 scholarship EACH toward the next phase of their lives, be it college, trade school, beauty school, diesel mechanics school or WHATEVER, and many of the CONSERVATIVE leaders of our community will be there to help teach/train and HIRE these people.

So, while some of us CONSERVATIVE folks are actually DOING something about the problem, there are those of you LIBERALS who can only whine and rant about MOVIE REVIEWS.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

27 of the 28 in this case were black, with no evidence
                    Testimony is evidence.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      Which story do you think would generate more headlines: "Boy Bullied By Classmate" or "Boy Bullied By Teacher/Parent?" The answer is the second one. The first one is also a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but the second one involves an authority figure--someone who's supposed to HELP/PROTECT the student and PREVENT things like bullying from occurring--abusing that position of authority. That's why it draws more headlines.
                      And thus you highlight one of the reasons I despise the mass media and what it stands for. See, they look for stories that generate headlines and thus highlight stories that are unusual. Thus people are busy looking in their closet for the boogie man and ignore the actual dangers in their own back yard. What is more likely for my child to experience. A teaching that bullies her or a fellow student that bullies her? What should be my greatest concern? Face the facts your majesty and stop ignoring them. The black community should be far more worried about bad things happening to them by their own race vs whites (since around 96% of blacks murdered last year was by other blacks). Likewise, whites are also more likely to be victims of their own race vs blacks (around 82%). Perhaps we should watch our own neighbors a wee bit more carefully and not worry as much about the boogie man that might be hiding in our closets.

Also, if a child complains that an authority figure is bullying him, it doesn't make sense to tell him "But children are bullied by other children more frequently than they're bullied by their adult authority figures! Maybe you kids should fix your own problems first before you complain that your teacher or parents are bullying you!"
                      Did the point make a loud woosh as it flew over your head your majesty? Go ahead, quote me where I said we should ignore children that get bullied by teaches or admit that you can't and just made the whole thing up. Listen carefully, children are more likely to be bullied by other children vs adults and therefore our primary focus and concern should be on other students. If this is wrong go ahead and prove me wrong or go ahead and quote me where I said anything close to the above. Making up arguments to attack doesn't make your case anymore valid.

I never said anywhere that some sort of blame should go on a white person. Your fantasy world is quite amusing to watch.
                      And yet, here you are, making huge deals about racial violence of white police officers against blacks when the reality is that the black community should be more worried about other blacks doing harm to them vs white police officers.

That's exactly what I'm doing.
                      No you're not because you keep showing that you haven't got a clue what you are talking about; as I'll show below.

That's exactly what I'm not doing.
                      Yeah it is. You keep making a huge deal about racism when the reality seems to show that people should pay a wee bit more attention to people of their own race since they are more likely to do them harm vs people of other races.

Not even close.
                      Sure they are because how do you determine that you're not a 'secret racist'? Go ahead your majesty, tell everybody how you can determine that they are not 'secret racist' that don't even know they are racist. I'd love to hear your method for determining a 'secret racist' and how you know you're not a 'secret racist'.

No, but that'd be even dumber than racism if that was the case. Refusing to hire someone named Jose because you disliked another person named Jose?
                      You do understand the difference between a good reason and a bad reason, right? The point seems to have zoomed right over your head again. How did these studies eliminate stuff, such as that and determined that it is due to 'secret racism' and not due to an unknown bias, such as a person's biases against certain names? See, this is among the problems that you run into with sociology and sociology experiments. They have a very difficult time filtering out why a certain biases might appear in individuals since people don't run on logical rules like the hard sciences do. Water boils at 212 degrees F (100 degrees C for our friends over seas) at sea level (this is 14.7 PSI) and you can experiment to get these result over and over again. With people, you can run into a hundred different answers as to why they do or work as they do.

If you wish to ignore the scientific studies that have clearly demonstrated that people do in fact have unconscious biases, go ahead. I do wish that at least once in a while you'd make a serious attempt at understanding, however.
                      Sorry your majesty, but there's a reason sociology is considered a 'soft science' and a reason that you should approach studies, based on it, with a dose of skepticism. Go ahead, do tell me how they determined that biases against peculiar names were not the cause vs racism. Second, yet again, the problem is that you attack a strawman. I never said that people don't have unconscious biases, what I am asking you to demonstrate is that these biases can be directly traced to racism and not some other factor (such as a biases against peculiar names). How did they determine that there was no biases against people's names vs their race? What sort of control did they use to eliminate this factor? You are aware that people have reactions to names, right? If you don't believe me, just go to urban dictionary, type in your name, and read the results. You'll be amazed at some of the amusing definitions that people use against your name. Quite amusing and an interesting look into people's psychology. Finally, do you even know what a scientific study is and isn't? Sociology has a very difficult time eliminating other factors because humans don't run on perfect rules like the hard sciences do. Humans can be rather illogical and emotional creatures. Nature, not so much. Nature may work in ways we don't quite understand, but I really doubt it is just because nature wants to be emotional or illogical and just due to gaps in our knowledge bases. Bottom line, I'd suggest you think a wee bit more before you decided to post since I seriously doubt they were able to 100% determine if a person's biases was based purely on race and not something else. The only thing they seemed to have shown is that people can and do have unconscious biases, if they are based on race or something else, well... it doesn't seem to have been shown but instead assumed.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Testimony is evidence.
                        No reliable testimony was provided. The only person was an unreliable paid informant that provided phony harmless cocaine as evidence. No other evidence was provided in this case,

Comment

No reliable testimony was provided. The only person was an unreliable paid informant that provided phony harmless cocaine as evidence. No other evidence was provided in this case,
                          So, how bout responding to Post #128, Mister DuckBobWeaver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            So the one piece of relevant evidence is... a clip from the movie. The one that makes up racist lines for people. And it's not even evidence that the original incident was motivated by racism, just that the DA may or may not be racist (it's entirely possibel to be racist and still treat people fairly after all).
                            No, respond to the Brennan Center report.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

So, how bout responding to Post #128, Mister DuckBobWeaver.
                              Please respond relevant to the subject, and I will respond.

Comment

Please respond relevant to the subject, and I will respond.
                                Yeah, just as I suspected. You CAN'T answer, so you're now doing the kabuki dance.

It IS the subject.

Comment