Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    His buddy admitted they stole the cigars -- a strong arm robbery.

Source: KSDK

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) - The friend who was with Michael Brown when he was shot and killed by a police officer near St. Louis over the weekend is reportedly confirming that he and Brown had taken part in the theft of cigars from a convenience store that day.

That word comes from the attorney for Dorian Johnson, speaking to MSNBC. Police in Ferguson had earlier announced that Brown was suspected of taking cigars from the convenience store in what was described as a "strong-arm robbery."

© Copyright Original Source

I'm aware of that claim, which is why the video is so bewildering. It does look like Brown placed some money on the counter, and that the clerk took it. So if a robbery actually did occur, what in the world was going on in the video?
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• So because you could not actually take the time to read and examine before you opened your mouth and began yammering excuses you, or what?

Because generally when people commit petty crimes, it does not and should not result in their being killed--especially by a police officer.
      But in this case the life style he chose lead to his death. Sad, but common.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        But plenty of other teenagers commit crimes and put themselves into bad situations and are not killed for it.
        Look, this MAN -- yeah, he's technically 18, but he's 300 lbs and 6'4" -- steals from a store, assaults the clerk, turns back to intimidate him, then walks down the middle of the street as if nothing happened -- he appears to have NO CONSCIENCE -- then allegedly punches a cop in the face, and ...... yeah, just your typical mixed up teen.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Amazing. Square_Peg seems to think that the only way to injure or kill someone is with a weapon that can kill at a distance like a gun. Never mind a guy who is huge and weighs 300 pounds using his fists and feet against someone.

I have a nephew who is about Brown's size. Built like Sasquatch. He works at a jail. They use him to keep the rowdy prisoners in line because all he has to do is look [down] at them and they will comply. If I saw him running at me angry and wanting to beat me up, I would be in fear for my life, even though he might be unarmed.

Comment

Because generally when people commit petty crimes, it does not and should not result in their being killed--especially by a police officer.
            Well, yeah, but when NORMAL petty criminals commit crimes, they HIDE from the cops --- they don't walk up to them and punch them in the face.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              But I don't think we should let that judgment of this incident blind us to the problems of racial inequality in our country and communities.
              I agree. For example the fact that blacks commit a grossly disproportionate amount of crime is a notable inequality that needs to be addressed, and the black community in general needs to be held accountable for their mixture of apathy towards crime and violence committed by blacks (mostly against other blacks) and their toxic attitudes towards black people who don't reflexively side with thugs and white people who ventilate black males trying to kill them.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Wow, let's take a look at Brown's buddy, Dorian Johnson.

Source: IJReview

Dorian Johnson, the primary witness to the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, has an outstanding warrant for a 2011 theft in Jefferson City and pleaded guilty for filing a false police report related to that theft.

St. Louis ABC affiliate ABC 17 cross referenced Johnson’s name against several records and discovered the warrant.

Johnson will be the star witness for any potential prosecution proceedings against Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Brown. Johnson was walking with Brown when the shooting occurred.

He has already done multiple media appearances where he falsely claimed Brown was shot by Wilson in the back. He also has claimed that Brown never reached for Wilson’s gun, was “shot like an animal” and that Brown had his hands up and told Wilson he was unarmed.

Now, mind you, this is the guy who admitted that he and Brown stole the blunts!

Oh, what a tangled web we weave....

Comment

• Ferguson calm amid further evidence backing officer

Source: WND

Wednesday in Ferguson, the buzz was about a Facebook posting by local radio station 100.7 FM claiming the officer in the Aug. 9 shooting, Darren Wilson, would not be indicted because key witnesses said 18-year-old Michael Brown attacked the officer and attempted to take away his gun. Fox News reported Wilson suffered severe facial injuries, including an eye socket fracture, and was nearly beaten unconscious by Brown moments before firing his gun.

Perhaps as the hype dies, the truth flies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Look, this MAN -- yeah, he's technically 18
                    And that's all that's relevant here. Doesn't matter how big and scary he might've looked. He was 18, barely old enough to qualify as an adult, with a brain that still hadn't finished developing.

steals from a store
                    Still under debate, technically--yes, the friend allegedly confirmed that it was a robbery, but that leaves the questions of what exactly was going on in the video, and why (according to St. Louis news) the clerk and staff didn't call 911.

assaults the clerk
                    Semantic quibble, perhaps, but does shoving someone out of the way actually qualify as assault?

turns back to intimidate him, then walks down the middle of the street as if nothing happened -- he appears to have NO CONSCIENCE -- then allegedly punches a cop in the face, and ...... yeah, just your typical mixed up teen.
                    Take away the "allegedly punching a cop in the face" part (since, as you admit, it's only alleged at this point and we don't know if it actually happened), and it really doesn't sound that different from things some other teenagers do.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Amazing. Square_Peg seems to think that the only way to injure or kill someone is with a weapon that can kill at a distance like a gun. Never mind a guy who is huge and weighs 300 pounds using his fists and feet against someone.
                    He was shot and killed about 35 feet away from the car. You're telling me that he could beat someone to death from there?

I have a nephew who is about Brown's size. Built like Sasquatch. He works at a jail. They use him to keep the rowdy prisoners in line because all he has to do is look [down] at them and they will comply. If I saw him running at me angry and wanting to beat me up, I would be in fear for my life, even though he might be unarmed.
                    Do we know for a fact that he was actually running towards the officer?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Well, yeah, but when NORMAL petty criminals commit crimes, they HIDE from the cops --- they don't walk up to them and punch them in the face.
                    You're assuming he actually did punch him in the face when that's not yet confirmed. Wait for the facts, remember?
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Yes, shoving someone does indeed qualify as an assault.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Still under debate, technically--yes, the friend allegedly confirmed that it was a robbery, but that leaves the questions of what exactly was going on in the video,
                        I already answered the questions in an earlier post.

and why (according to St. Louis news) the clerk and staff didn't call 911.
                        Or they called the cops and don't want to admit it because they don't want their store burned to the ground by peace activists.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• He was shot and killed about 35 feet away from the car. You're telling me that he could beat someone to death from there?
                          And how far away from the policeman?

The absence of gunpowder on Brown's body indicated the muzzle of the gun was probably at least 30cm to 60cm or as much as nine metres away, Baden (the coroner) added. - See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-s....pVguAgYU.dpuf
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I had a victim in a case I worked drive himself home after suffering an orbital blowout. And yes, I read the medical records and interviewed three doctors to confirm. I was amazed he could drive at all, given his other injuries.

And square_peg...not that his will impact your thinking (since you've clearly already made up your mind), but have you ever heard of the 21-feet rule? I know you're saying 35 feet, but it's still applicable because it gives perspective about distances and reaction times. Basically, at 21 feet an attacker can sprint and make physical contact with a defender in about the same time it takes to draw a holstered pistol, aim, and fire. In our personal experiments, the attacker usually won with the defender not even getting a shot off. 35 feet is a greater distance, but even if that was the actual distance it should give you some concept of the reaction time involved -- and why Officer Wilson didn't wait till Brown was closer to shoot.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• SP, you do realize 35ft is just over 10 yards, right? How long does it take the guy with the ball to get from one line to another in football? Not very long at all and adding over a yard and 1/2 doesn't really increase the time factor. I can march that distance in just over 8 seconds (glide march) so a fit male can likely run it a heck of a lot faster than that. Thirty-five feet is just a little shy of two yards more than a first down - it's really not very far at all.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

And that's all that's relevant here. Doesn't matter how big and scary he might've looked.
                                I'm beginning to think you're just being a bozo. Yes, it is CRUCIALLY important, because it's part of the information the officer considers when he cites a reasonable fear of death.... being punched in the face by somebody that big, being ACCOSTED by somebody that big, having somebody that big grab your duty weapon... it is a CRUCIAL piece of information.

Comment