Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith after domestic abuse remarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith after domestic abuse remarks

ESPN on Tuesday announced a one-week suspension for one of its most controversial commentators, Stephen A. Smith, in the wake of his widely-criticized remarks about domestic abuse that referred to possible "provocation" by victims.

The move came one day after Smith appeared on his ESPN2 talk show "First Take" and profusely apologized.

Smith's original remarks were shown on "First Take" last Friday. He was discussing the assault charge against Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, who was indicted in March for striking his then-girlfriend and dragging her out of an elevator, and the leniency shown by the National Football League, which suspended Rice for only two games.

He said that while men "have no business putting your hands on a woman," he had tried to tell women in his family, "Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions." He also referred to "elements of provocation" and implied that women should "do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening."

During his apology on Monday morning, Smith acknowledged that "my words came across that it is somehow a woman's fault."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

He didn't say anything directly blaming the girl and apologized. This wasn't necessary, as far as I can see.

Had he really blamed the victim, I'd be of a different opinion
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      He didn't say anything directly blaming the girl and apologized. This wasn't necessary, as far as I can see.

Had he really blamed the victim, I'd be of a different opinion
      My problem with the story is that for quite some time now, the leftist feminazis have demanded that women not be treated as anything less than the equal of man in every arena. So, why are they in such an uproar over Mr. Smith's statement of (to them) fact that someone else can instigate another person to violence, regardless of their sex? What he said was absolutely true in the expanded context that he was mentioning. People SHOULD "make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions". There are many cases of domestic violence where BOTH parties were arrested for assault because both parties instigated the other to violence. I find it hypocritical that the leftists want full equality for women, except when they can play the victim card, and then, and ONLY THEN, are women portrayed as powerless and helpless.

From where I stand, I agree with Stephen A. Smith. You should not hit a woman. But you shouldn't hit a man either. Unless you are sufficiently provoked like this woman was
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Typical over reaction.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          .... the leftist feminazis ..... equal of man in every arena.
          Blimey! The word you were searching for is ‘feminists’ who are men or women advocating equal social, political, legal and economic rights for women. It is not about putting women on the race track or the boxing ring with men for obvious reasons and for the same reasons it is very ungallant for a bloke to strike a woman under any circumstances. If the aggression is too much, just walk away.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Too often seen men get a hiding because of the rule that a man should never hit a woman. Now conclude, when a person is attacked, that person is not dealing with a man or a woman, but with an assailant.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Blimey! The word you were searching for is ‘feminists’ who are men or women advocating equal social, political, legal and economic rights for women.
              In other words, you hold a contradictory, nonsensical worldview.

It is not about putting women on the race track or the boxing ring with men for obvious reasons and for the same reasons it is very ungallant for a bloke to strike a woman under any circumstances. If the aggression is too much, just walk away.
              Violence for sport is a whole different animal from violence due to some offense caused or perceived. Feminists demand that women not be struck in situations in which you would strike a man (regardless of the man's physical parity). This is not social equality, it's social subservience. Women should be protected from things that would get a man's face bashed in because they have a vagina.

If feminism was about equality then feminists would simply stop talking about violence against women. Since it's not about equality they don't.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                If feminism was about equality then feminists would simply stop talking about violence against women. Since it's not about equality they don't.
                Try using a dictionary. You may be confusing feminism with sexism.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Oooh, it's a combo of number two and number three on the checklist of standard feminist lines--"You just don't know what feminism is!" and "Look at the dictionary definition!" Now all you need is to say is that Not All Feminists Are Like That and you'll have the trifecta.

Comment

In general conservatives to have this nasty tendency to compare what you're actually saying about things to how they're actually working out in practice.

It is not about putting women on the race track or the boxing ring with men for obvious reasons
                    Yes, it most certainly is. And on the battlefield, and in the submarines...

and for the same reasons it is very ungallant for a bloke to strike a woman under any circumstances. If the aggression is too much, just walk away.

This video may have been edited in post-production by prurient youtubers

Not a thing that Connery said was out of line. Women have a constant temptation to use their native skill with words and relationships to continually one-up themselves and their pet causes in a thousand tiny ways, and usually the only way to effectively get across that they've crossed a line is either physical or a level of verbal that's usually not appropriate for public settings. And 'walking away' isn't really an option in a whole lot of cases.
                    Last edited by Epoetker; 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Blimey! The word you were searching for is ‘feminists’
                      I chose the correct term.

who are men or women advocating equal social, political, legal and economic rights for women.
                      which is the gist of what I said

It is not about putting women on the race track or the boxing ring with men for obvious reasons
                      Yes it is...

Source: http://www.insideyouthsports.org/2011/10/another-reason-why-competitive-girls.html

The Women’s Sports Foundation supports a position that girls and boys should be encouraged to compete with and against each other in sports whenever possible:

"Prior to puberty, there is no gender-based physiological reason to separate females and males in sports competition. In fact, research demonstrates that girls who participate with boys in youth sports are more resilient. ... After puberty, coeducational competition should be encouraged at all levels where there are rules that require equal numbers of females and males on both teams and also rules that maximize fair competition between the sexes."

© Copyright Original Source

and for the same reasons it is very ungallant for a bloke to strike a woman under any circumstances.
                      It is "ungallant" to strike ANYONE under any circumstance, except when sufficiently provoked. If a woman is assaulting my wife, I can guarantee I'm going to stomp her into the ground just as hard as if a man were assaulting her.

If the aggression is too much, just walk away.
                      In some instances, such as protecting a weaker person, walking away may not be an option. Hence, sufficient provocation.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment