Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Five Israeli talking points, debunked".... Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    I fail to see the value of a retaliatory strike that gives civilians a warning with adequate time to evacuate, since giving civilians time to evacuate is giving militants equal time to evacuate and to take their toys with them.
    Then you fail to see the predicament that Israel is in with regards to the UN. If they don't give adequate warning to civilians, they are accused of "war crimes".
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• FYI: You guys do realize the Iron Dome does NOT respond to all rocket attacks, right? It responds to those likely to harm infrastructure and people. A LOT of rockets do in fact get past it.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Then you fail to see the predicament that Israel is in with regards to the UN. If they don't give adequate warning to civilians, they are accused of "war crimes".
        It's apparent Israel can't engage in aerial and artillery bombardments without playing into Hamas' hand. So why does it bother? What benefit does it derive from these bombardments?
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

It's apparent Israel can't engage in aerial and artillery bombardments without playing into Hamas' hand. So why does it bother? What benefit does it derive from these bombardments?
          It destroys enemy targets.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            FYI: You guys do realize the Iron Dome does NOT respond to all rocket attacks, right? It responds to those likely to harm infrastructure and people. A LOT of rockets do in fact get past it.
            But, when it is deployed, it has a 90% success rate.
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It destroys enemy targets.
              To what effect? How many rocket attacks does each bombardment prevent? How many Israeli lives does it save? Or how many dollars in property damage (or lost commerce/productivity due to having to take shelter) does it prevent?

Comment

To what effect? How many rocket attacks does each bombardment prevent? How many Israeli lives does it save? Or how many dollars in property damage (or lost commerce/productivity due to having to take shelter) does it prevent?
                If it saves one life, then it is worth it.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

But how likely is it to do that?

Comment

But, when it is deployed, it has a 90% success rate.
                    Yep - but it's important to understand how it actually works.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

But hitting some random person's house just because Hamas shot a rocket from there and took off doesn't save any lives. In fact it probably does the opposite in the long run.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

But how likely is it to do that?
                        One less terrorist to lob a rocket into a crowded marketplace? Pretty likely, I'd say.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          But hitting some random person's house just because Hamas shot a rocket from there and took off doesn't save any lives. In fact it probably does the opposite in the long run.
                          Well, maybe the homeowner needed to prevent the Hamas jackass from being there in the first place.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well, maybe the homeowner needed to prevent the Hamas jackass from being there in the first place.
                            Sounds reasonable. After all Hamas are just some punk kids who keep kicking their ball in your yard and not a militant organization that will kill you if you give them lip.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-s...s-with-israel/

And this STILL doesn't explain what Israel gains from it.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

One less terrorist to lob a rocket into a crowded marketplace? Pretty likely, I'd say.
                              What about the Iron Dome? That gives each rocket only a 10% chance to get through to a populated area-- assuming it's even generally on-target -- and even then, Israel's warning sirens, etc, are likely to mitigate the risk of casualties.

Israel now has it in its power to say, "We don't want to kill civilians or destroy their homes in order to protect ourselves from militants, and now, we don't have to!" I can't understand why they don't, unless, as DE suggests, they're trying to make life so unlivable for Gazans that they finally pull up stakes and leave Gaza entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Sounds reasonable. After all Hamas are just some punk kids who keep kicking their ball in your yard and not a militant organization that will kill you if you give them lip.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-s...s-with-israel/
                                The only way to defeat terrorism is to stand up to them with sufficient force that they can not overwhelm you. That's basic war 101.

And this STILL doesn't explain what Israel gains from it.
                                The ability to live with a smidge less chance of getting your legs blown off in a nightclub.

628x471.jpg
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment