Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Five Israeli talking points, debunked".... Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    I've asked the question about 3 different times in 3 different ways, and you refuse to answer. I'm just trying to understand what you think is an acceptable proportion of combatants to noncombatants killed.
    let me ask you one Spartacus who is purposly targeting civlians those set hteir bomb and missle on schools, hosptials etc..

or those who pick military targets that have purposly been put in residencel areas and warns the residents that they are going to bomb those targets and to get out of the area. why are you ignroing that Isreasl warns noncombantants who for some resaon or other sont'[ move out of the area.

no one wants innocents killed but you are backign the wrong horse here you ignore the fact that Ireal unlike Hamas and others trys to minimize the deaths of innocents. Hamas purposly goes after non military targets.
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Y'all do realize that ISIS is so far off the edge that even Al Qaeda has condemned them? Comparing them with Hamas is equivocation.
        OTOH, Hamas can only look reasonable when they're compared to ISIS

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• "When Hamas clearly announces -- even documents -- it's intent NOT to obey any laws of "civilized" warfare, they forfeit the right to be treated 'justly'."

Thomas Jefferson*

*OK, maybe I made that part up, but PROVE it!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            "When Hamas clearly announces -- even documents -- it's intent NOT to obey any laws of "civilized" warfare, they forfeit the right to be treated 'justly'."

Thomas Jefferson*

*OK, maybe I made that part up, but PROVE it!
            President Benjamin Washington said it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Benyahmeen
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Right after he and Charles Limburger flew across the Pacific and discovered America.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Right after he and Charles Limburger flew across the Pacific and discovered America.
                  stop making stuff up. It was across the solar system and he discovered Earth.

Comment

• Golly, I sure am glad I have you guys around. Just think what my knowledge of history would be like without you!
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Gaza conflict: UN accuses Israel over Jabaliya attack
                      Israel attacked a UN-run school housing refugees in Gaza despite warnings that civilians were there, the UN has said.

UN spokesman Chris Gunness said "the world stands disgraced" by the attack, in which 15 died and dozens were hurt.

The Israeli military said an initial inquiry suggested soldiers responded to mortar fire. The military says it is now holding a partial, four-hour humanitarian ceasefire.

Some 1,200 Palestinians and 55 Israelis have been killed in the conflict.

Most of the Palestinian deaths have been civilians.

Fifty-three Israeli soldiers have been killed along with two civilians. A Thai worker in Israel has also died.

That's 1200 mostly civilian deaths. It's kind of like bringing down 4 MH17's and saying "Whoops."

Most of the world thinks this is outrageous. American support is going to have negative effects on our reputation, which seems to impact a large constituent of TWebbers only when they can blame Obama.

Versus 56 mostly military deaths, just about all of which followed the recent civilian slaughters.

That's over 20 to 1, just counting bodies, or call it 300 to 1 just counting civilians.

As ever, Jesse
                      Yes, that's the way Hamas wants it to look. One side of this conflict just wants to be left alone, and goes to the trouble of giving multiple warnings to evacuate before they attack. The other side uses the warnings to ensure that civilians will be present nonetheless, and attacks from places where civilians are likely to be present like hospitals, schools, and mosques. Israel is thus presented with a Hobson's choice of allowing the attacks to go unanswered or killing civilians.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Off-hand, I also remember a lecture in my Old Testament class in which it was suggested that those orders, beyond simply not having been carried out (as evidenced by the continued presence of many of these same peoples throughout Judges and afterward) may have been utopian in nature from the beginning-- neither extensively carried out nor even intended to be seriously pursued.
                        This sounds like a good excuse to wave away pretty much anything in scripture you don't agree with - just decide that bit's optional!
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Well, kinda, yeah, but it's based on the same philosophy/religion -- just more extreme.
                          So it's a smear, and you know it's a smear, and you're going to do it anyway?

Nah, if it's important to differentiate between run-of-the-mill Christians and abortion clinic bombers, it's important to do the same with run-of-the-mill Muslims and bus bombers. "Just more extreme" is a sword that cuts a lot of ways.

Did you know there are Buddhists involved in terrorism in Burma? Almost unbelievable, but it's true!

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          OTOH, Hamas can only look reasonable when they're compared to ISIS
                          Kinda like FNC and the National Enquirer.

Hamas is godawful, but I'm reminded of one of Dan Rather's more famous gaffes. No, not that one! The one where he was sued successfully for defaming the tobacco companies. No matter how foul an industry, or organization, might be, it's still important to keep the accusations honest.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            This sounds like a good excuse to wave away pretty much anything in scripture you don't agree with - just decide that bit's optional!
                            There is a kernel of truth to what he's saying. Even conservative Christians (notably Matthew Flannagan) have noted that the internal evidence of Joshua and Judges suggest there is some level of hyperbole; but those looking for an outright pacifistic interpretation will find no shelter there.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Nah, if it's important to differentiate between run-of-the-mill Christians and abortion clinic bombers, it's important to do the same with run-of-the-mill Muslims and bus bombers. "Just more extreme" is a sword that cuts a lot of ways.
                              Yeah I have to agree with that. Take the Christian Identity nutjobs like Tim McVeigh who bombed the OK Federal Bldg. Or the KKK.

I would have to argue that on its core beliefs, those groups have to go against what Christ taught, while the very start of Islam was done by Mohammed terrorizing people, robbing caravans, and forcing everyone they came across to convert or die, and once they had a large enough base, attack Jerusalem, take it over and kill any Christians who wanted to make pilgramage to it. So in the case of "peaceful muslims" I would say they are the ones who are not living up to the "standards" of their religion (thank God) - the very opposite of Christianity and Christian hategroups and terrorists/racists.

Comment

stop making stuff up. It was across the solar system and he discovered Earth.
                                Silly, that was Christopher Magellan aboard the Titanic. Sheesh.

Comment