Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

4th Circuit declares 4 states' constitutional amendments unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Circuit declares 4 states' constitutional amendments unconstitutional

The decision's logic is simply infantile. They dramatically misapply Lawrence and overstate what the court was saying in Windsor. What the 4th effectively has said with this decision is that no state can define their own marriage restrictions if the court disagrees with that restriction. The section dismissing Virginia's federalist right to define what constitutes a legal marriage was sloppy and emotionally dismissive. Their entire argument boiled down to this:

That's plain and simply a bunch of crap. The Constitution does not guarantee anyone the right to marry anyone they choose. There have always been limits on who can legally marry, and what constitutes a legal marriage. The rights of the individual are consistently applied in Virginia's amendment, which equally provides a standard of legal marriage without unevenly curtailing the rights of the individual.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

What I disagree with is that no one should have any privilege given him from any government that many others don't have. In particular people who prefer to be bachelors should not be disadvantaged relative to married people--whether heterosexual or homosexual. I do not approve of homosex, but I don't think any government should ban or protect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        What I disagree with is that no one should have any privilege given him from any government that many others don't have. In particular people who prefer to be bachelors should not be disadvantaged relative to married people--whether heterosexual or homosexual. I do not approve of homosex, but I don't think any government should ban or protect that.
        You disapprove of the fact that God banned it in the government He created then?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          You disapprove of the fact that God banned it in the government He created then?
          One must consider the fact that this government (nation) is in rebellion against God and the fact He create it is no longer relevant to the nation.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            One must consider the fact that this government (nation) is in rebellion against God and the fact He create it is no longer relevant to the nation.
            I don't understand, what does this have to do with banning homosex? Are you saying that it's worse when a government in rebellion against God does something God approved of?
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

All I will do for now is to 1) cite 1 Samuel 8:7-8, 10-18. And then 2) assert that the first part of Romans 13 is possibly the most mistranslated and mis-interpreted part in the Bible.

Comment