Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama's Foreign Policy Sell-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all just a big smear campaign orchestrated by Republicans.

Originally posted by Van Jones
    Now, I admit, there are important answers we have to answer here, but Sergeant Bergdahl isn't even out of the hospital yet and already the air waves are being filled mysteriously with former soldiers just trashing the guy. What is going on here? Well, it turns out that there are Republican operatives who are working behind the scenes to get some of those guys on television. This is an orchestrated smear campaign. The implication is that President Obama should have left a U.S. soldier to die, but if he had done that, the same Republicans would be attacking him for doing that, so the whole thing is completely outrageous.

Link
    Nothing to see here folks. This is just another fabricated "controversy" meant to attack Obama because, I don't know, racism and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Legally they would have to release them in 2014 anyway, at the end of the war.
      And, again I ask, What legal statute is that?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        serve with honor and distinction (who of them HAS?)
        Many come from a time and culture where merely showing up is rewarded as an accomplishment

I keep hearing that the Obama team expected jubilation -- they thought that the military, in particular, would be THRILLED that "we got their guy back".
        I think that this was an important factor in their calculations (aside from making a move to close GITMO). They thought that this would blunt some of the damage they're suffering after the VA scandal that continues to grow (more secret waiting lists exposed at facilities in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas and Missouri)
        Last edited by rogue06; 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nice to see that most of the military grunts are not, in fact, "shutting up and saluting" in this instance. May I expect more focused reaction on behalf of the nation instead of the state in the future?

The kid's father was the biggest scumbag in this case, my guess is he raised him rurally on liberal horror stories about all the EVIL they do behind the scenes, and couldn't really handle the bland reality of a mostly bureaucratic but still generally decent organization that doesn't kill people and wear their faces like in all the stories his father/Hollywood/mother told him (seriously, IIRC one of the questions he asked upon getting deployed was when they were going to do that.)

Judging by his dad's Muslim act, he was probably also trying to see if the Taliban were the hard-core Virtuous Victims as they were most likely painted for him in real life.

Still deserves to see the final penalty for his rank stupidity and radical lack of concern for the consequences of his actions and the welfare of his fellow troops, but it's about 95% certain his dad that planted the ideas and justifications in his head first.

Comment

Also, in entirely related news, this is too good not to repost:

Betting Obama comes out as gay within the next two months.

Comment

Some times I can't resist...

I know. I know. Bad rogue. Bad rogue

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And, again I ask, What legal statute is that?
                Geneva Convention! Even before the U.S signed on to the Geneva Convention prisoners of war were repatriated with their countries at the end of war.

Comment

Geneva Convention! Even before the U.S signed on to the Geneva Convention prisoners of war were repatriated with their countries at the end of war.
                  You don't think these guys qualify for some Nuremburg action?

Comment

Exactly which country's military force were they serving in? They are not POWs rather they are the sort of guys that the Geneva Convention allows us to line up against the wall and shoot when captured.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                      You don't think these guys qualify for some Nuremburg action?
                      Actually you know nothing more about these particular guys than you do about any of the other prisoners at gitmo. Btw, Nuremburg was a trial.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Exactly which country's military force were they serving in? They are not POWs rather they are the sort of guys that the Geneva Convention allows us to line up against the wall and shoot when captured.
                        They are Afghani Taliban, which is an Afghan military force with whom we are at war in Afghanistan. And no, the Geneva Convention allows no such thing.

Comment

Just for your information, I'm sure you're all aware of this, but this trade, this exact same trade, has been in the works since 2011 at which time Republicans were lauding the deal. The Taliban backed out of the deal because one of the stipulations was that Bergdahl's name be kept secret until the deal was done, but it wasn't, his name was leaked, end of deal. Republicans pols and the GOP echo chamber are all acting as if this is all new to them, when they were all praising the deal back in 2011 and 12. Oh, you didn't know that? Benghazi, Benghazi!
                          Last edited by JimL; 06-06-2014, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Even hyper-liberal "Obama's speeches give me tingles in my leg" Chris Matthews is angry at Obama over this debacle.

Leave it to JimL to out-liberal and out-partisan Chris freakin' Matthews.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                              Even hyper-liberal "Obama's speeches give me tingles in my leg" Chris Matthews is angry at Obama over this debacle.

Leave it to JimL to out-liberal and out-partisan Chris freakin' Matthews.
                              All liberals aren't right all of the time you know, just most of the time.

Comment

In other words, you don't have a clue. So, in your mind, when Obama pulls troops from Afghanistan, all the Islamist extremists are going to smile and say, "NOW we can be nice to the world". ONLY in JimmyLand.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment