Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alexei Navalny: Trump refuses to condemn Russia over poisoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    The US has no room to speak after Obama assassinated a US citizen and an underaged US citizen in another country.

And you're living in the past. Russia is a pale ghost of what it once was. The threat to the US is China.
    IIRC the person was scum. A terrorist who renounced his citizenship.

That said, we do have this thing in the U.S. called "due process" which applies to even terrorist scum. If he was collateral damage -- killed in a strike that was targeting someone/something else, that's one thing. But IIRC he was the primary target.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Dangblasted fact thingies ruined yet another OMB rant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. Russia isn't known for having a very stable set of intelligence agencies. Each has their own agenda.

And Russia isn't the only one that has novichok. Iran and a number of NATO countries do as well.
        I didn't know Iran and other NATO countries had it as well, not that it would be impossible to acquire. Not sure what they'd get out of that action though above and beyond making Russia look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Dangblasted fact thingies ruined yet another OMB rant.
          and then trump back pedelled and tried to excuse it. The issue in this thread is what trump said. The fact that it is contrary and undermines said 'white house condemnation' is more or less simply par for the course.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            IIRC the person was scum. A terrorist who renounced his citizenship.

That said, we do have this thing in the U.S. called "due process" which applies to even terrorist scum. If he was collateral damage -- killed in a strike that was targeting someone/something else, that's one thing. But IIRC he was the primary target.
            Oh, he certainly was a piece of work. But he had the right to due process as you note. As did his 16 year old son. And I'd be remiss if I didn't note Trump joined Obama's club when his raid killed the even younger (8 year old?) daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I didn't know Iran and other NATO countries had it as well, not that it would be impossible to acquire. Not sure what they'd get out of that action though above and beyond making Russia look bad.
              Given Germany is one of the ones with it, and currently trying to strike an oil deal with Russia, I think the could certainly have things to gain in negotiations with something like this coming out.

But I think it more likely that it's one of the intelligence agencies in Russia. And whether Putin ordered it is anyone's guess - they're not stable at all and treat each other as rivals, etc..

Comment

The US has no room to speak after Obama assassinated a US citizen and an underaged US citizen in another country.
                Reagan had Gaddafi's home in Libya bombed, which reportedly killed his 13-year-old daughter. Later reports said his daughter wasn't killed in the attack but that Gaddafi was seeking sympathy by making the claim. At any rate, Reagan targeted Gaddafi and it would have been an assassination had it succeeded.

George Bush Sr. sent 27,000 U.S. troops into Panama to "arrest" Noriega, its president, on drug charges. Imagine if Putin did something like that in Ukraine? Anyway, it was an obvious move to (1) remove a despot who was working with American enemies, and (2) regain the Panama Canal and ensure friendlier forces were in charge of it.

Ah, America: World Cop. Hopefully those days are wrapping up.

Comment

So..... he didn't excuse it (unlike your lie). Gotcha.
                  He
                  "We have to look at it very seriously. If that's the case, and I think we will," Trump said when asked how the US should react.

"I don't know exactly what happened, I think it's tragic. It's terrible, it shouldn't happen. We haven't had any proof yet, but I will take a look,"
                  Proof? He has the best intelligence information in most of the world, He knows. As usual, His spineless fence sitting getting splinters in his butt is the same response to the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi on the orders of the Saudi Prince. He know who was responsible from the beginning. He also stated he did not know about Qanon, but the FBI documented the Qanon danger that to him and all the police agencies. The idiot Shultz, " I know nothing" is his modus oporandi.

He is just spinless cheek warming Putin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    I've wanted to pull out of NATO long before I was aware of Trump.
                    Oh yes, I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into abandoning our democratic allies in the world.

You know, most people don't agree with Trump because of "conversion." It's because they already held those views and then Trump came along and vocalized them. That's why Lefties are so confused and can't understand that what's going on really isn't about Trump.
                    You mean autocracy.

Russia is never, ever going to invade Germany. It wouldn't have done so as the Soviet Union (when it actually could have) and isn't even capable of it now - assuming it even wanted to! The idea is a joke. If Germany wants to fret about a Russian invasion then let it spend money on that defense. It has nothing to do with the U.S.
                    Germany does spend, and the US as a democratic allie and the leading democratic country in the world support them in our own defense as well. Do you think Russia and China don't spend to promote their own ideology around the world.

Germany is a freeloader.
                    That's ignorance talking.

Oh sure they do. That's why they have shifted pollution to Russia and then buy Russian energy that is byproduct of that pollution. How do you spell hypocrisy?
                    Germany is going green and the energy from Nord Stream 11 simply makes the energy they need in the meantime cheaper.

Obama was all threats and no action - except when he was sowing chaos during regime-change efforts in backwater countries (at the behest of restless generals). Trump, at least, has thrown some punches in Russia's direction. But Leftists are too blind to see them. CNN and NYT haven't reported on them.
                    That's a laugh. The only sanctions placed on Russia were forced upon Trump by Obama and the Congress. Other than that Russia is free to do as it likes without even a word of condemnation coming from Trump. US troops were just attacked by the Russians in Syria, bounties were put on US troops in Afganhistan, Russia is still at war in Ukraine, Alexi Navalny along with other Russian opposition leaders have been poisoned by Putin, Russia is aiding the dictator in Belarus in crushing the democratic opposition, Russia attacked US elections and are doing the same right now. Trump does nothing, he even defends Russia. It's you Trumpsters that are either blind or suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Oh yes, I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into abandoning our democratic allies in the world.
                      Unlike you, I actually have thought about exiting NATO.

You mean autocracy.
                      Trump is the least autocratic president we've had in ages. Aren't you paying attention?

Germany does spend, and the US as a democratic allie and the leading democratic country in the world support them in our own defense as well. Do you think Russia and China don't spend to promote their own ideology around the world.
                      Russia doesn't pose much of threat to the US. China does, but the US doesn't need to be a member of NATO to counter that threat. NATO is an archaic organization as far as US involvement.

That's ignorance talking.
                      A government that spends more on pensions and vacations and retirement than on defense, and then asks the US to shoulder the load for its defense, and then strikes a deal with the very same country it wants the US to defend it against? Freeloader.

Germany is going green and the energy from Nord Stream 11 simply makes the energy they need in the meantime cheaper.
                      Really weak justification.

That's a laugh. The only sanctions placed on Russia were forced upon Trump by Obama and the Congress. Other than that Russia is free to do as it likes without even a word of condemnation coming from Trump. US troops were just attacked by the Russians in Syria, bounties were put on US troops in Afganhistan, Russia is still at war in Ukraine, Alexi Navalny along with other Russian opposition leaders have been poisoned by Putin, Russia is aiding the dictator in Belarus in crushing the democratic opposition, Russia attacked US elections and are doing the same right now. Trump does nothing, he even defends Russia. It's you Trumpsters that are either blind or suffering from cognitive dissonance.
                      A tangle of truths, half-truths and allegations. Not worth untangling.

Comment