Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CDC Revises Coronavirus Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDC Revises Coronavirus Numbers

What do people think of the CDC revision of the original death count down to 6% being coronavirus on its own?

Most deaths involved 2 or more pre-conditions that were the primary cause of deaths.

It seems first of all that people without the preexisting conditions should have very little concerns of dying from the coronavirus. But will people drop their irrational fears?
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 09-03-2020, 02:57 AM.

6% is still a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      6% is still a lot.
      That 6% of the original numbers puts this way below flu deaths. It takes away the whole concept of pandemic in the US situation.

Too bad that the side effects of the shutdown are causing more deaths than coronavius on its own. Our governors have caused more deaths than the virus itself could do.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        What do people think of the CDC revision of the original death count down to 6% being coronavirus on its own?

Most deaths involved 2 or more pre-conditions that were the primary cause of deaths.
        If an obese man is crossing the street and is hit by a bus and killed, do you think that "obesity" should be listed as the cause of death?
        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
          If an obese man is crossing the street and is hit by a bus and killed, do you think that "obesity" should be listed as the cause of death?
          I know a guy who got run over by a bus. He had been drinking and went to get more beers. He ended up winning a lawsuit against the transit agency.

Can we get back on the topic?

Comment

I know a guy who got run over by a bus. He had been drinking and went to get more beers. He ended up winning a lawsuit against the transit agency.
            You didn't answer my question.

Let me ask you a follow-up question. If an obese man is walking down the street, has a heart attack, and falls over dead, do you believe that "obesity" should be listed as the cause of death?

Comment

You didn't answer my question.

Let me ask you a follow-up question. If an obese man is walking down the street, has a heart attack, and falls over dead, do you believe that "obesity" should be listed as the cause of death?
              You are right. Just because someone is said to have symptoms common to flu and coronavirus infection does not mean that we should list that person's cause of death as coronavirus.

Good observation Reepiceep.

Comment

You are right. Just because someone is said to have signs like coronavirus infection does not mean that we should list that person has dying from coronavirus.

Good observation Reepiceep.
                You're still not answering my questions.

Let me ask you an additional follow-up question. If an obese person catches the flu and dies, do you believe that "obesity" should be listed as the cause of death?

Comment

Exactly. Coronavirus has been used in an overreaching sense. This certainly deserves the emphasis that you have been providing by analogy and repetition.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 09-03-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Exactly. Coronavirus has been used in an overreaching sense. This certainly deserves the emphasis that you have been providing by analogy.
                    So you are arguing that the 94% of the people who died with comorbidities (COVID plus obesity, for example) still would have died, even if they didn't catch COVID.

For example, there are thousands of Americans whose cause of death is listed as "COVID and obesity". You believe that in every one of those cases, the person would have still died, but that the cause of death would have been listed as "obesity" and not "COVID and obesity". Correct?

Comment

If you look at the original post I was asking
                      "What do people think of the CDC revision of the original death count down to 6% being coronavirus on its own?"

Comment

"What do people think of the CDC revision of the original death count down to 6% being coronavirus on its own?"
                        I think the CDC didn't revise anything, so the claim is wrong.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...stimates-67902

Comment

Well. Whether the CDC changed anything, I'm not ready to check that at the moment. But here is what the CDC says

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm?fbclid=IwAR2-muRM3tB3uBdbTrmKwH1NdaBx6PpZo2kxotNwkUXlnbZXCwSRP2OmqsI

Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.

© Copyright Original Source

So, I was asking

If it seems better, think of this as a clarification rather than a revision.
                          Last edited by mikewhitney; 09-03-2020, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I'd say it makes sense. My wife works in a hospital and has to collect insurance information from patients - including covid. She says the covid patients come in waves (like there was a surge at the beginning of August). But her observations is that very few have died. In fact, a news report recently said we had only three covid deaths last week: (2) were in the 80s, (1) was in their 90s, and all three had "pre-existing conditions."

Comment

A) He wasn't more likely to die from bus strike than an average person. (Unless, of course, you want to play games and say he had more surface area exposed, so he was more likely...... )
                              2) A non-obese person would not fare any better being hit by a bus.

Really bad analogy.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment