Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Remember when Liberals thought this was beyond the pale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when Liberals thought this was beyond the pale?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kentu...b6c655cbe28160

I do not understand what this has to do with "Liberals".

From my reading the group that did so were "" and were "reportedly protesting restrictions that the Democratic governor implemented to help curb the COVID-19 pandemic." The article also states "".

What is your issue?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      I do not understand what this has to do with "Liberals".

From my reading the group that did so were "" and were "reportedly protesting restrictions that the Democratic governor implemented to help curb the COVID-19 pandemic." The article also states "".

What is your issue?
      Well a peaceful protest that used a very common protest symbol (seriously, look up hung in effigy) was decried as "beyond reprehensible" and threatening.

If only there was some sort of protest going on that liberals were partaking in that the actions of protesters mad this sort of action look like a sunday bake sale... Like, I don't know repeated arson, use of guillotines as threats, physically confronting people, etc.

I just can't put my finger on it....I thought there was stuff in the news recently about protests.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        Well a peaceful protest that used a very common protest symbol (seriously, look up hung in effigy) was decried as "beyond reprehensible" and threatening.

If only there was some sort of protest going on that liberals were partaking in that the actions of protesters mad this sort of action look like a sunday bake sale... Like, I don't know repeated arson, use of guillotines as threats, physically confronting people, etc.

I just can't put my finger on it....I thought there was stuff in the news recently about protests.
        What a convoluted way to go about a criticism of the protests.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Comment

What a convoluted way to go about a criticism of the protests.
            Oh, the criticism isn't about the protests....it's about the standards.

Comment

What about constructing a Guillotine outside of someone's home?

How does hanging in effigy compare to say, arson and looting, which do you think is worse on the scale of "beyond reprehensible"?

Comment

Another word for an angry mob "hanging in effigy" is "faux lynching."

I can see why blacks are opposed to lynching. I am against lynching.

Whether you lynch someone, or show them what they would do to you if they could by hanging in effigy, all of it showing the evil in the heart. A believer should be repulsed by people wanting to lynch others.

Comment

[QUOTE=CivilDiscourse;777195]What about constructing a Guillotine outside of someone's home? [//quote]

Both "beyond reprehensible"

How does hanging in effigy compare to say, arson and looting, which do you think is worse on the scale of "beyond reprehensible"?
                  No one is making this comparison. See @Maranatha post.

In the South burning crosses and hanging in effigy preceeded real hangings and killings, ie Emmett Till. The casualties have mounted over the past several hundred years.

So, what's wrong with burning crosses?

Comment

[QUOTE=shunyadragon;777202]
                    What about constructing a Guillotine outside of someone's home? [//quote]

Both "beyond reprehensible"

No one is making this comparison. See @Maranatha post.

In the South burning crosses and hanging in effigy preceeded real hangings and killings, ie Emmett Till. The casualties have mounted over the past several hundred years.

So, what's wrong with burning crosses?
                    If only your fellow liberals felt the same way:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bush...gibtHWtIP0I6MM

Comment

Oh, the criticism isn't about the protests....it's about the standards.
                      I have been appalled by this:

I have yet to see a thread here condemning the Right Wing aggression and violence.

[/B]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rotests-police
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have been appalled by this:

I have yet to see a thread here condemning the Right Wing aggression and violence.

[/B]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rotests-police
                        I looked through all the links in that very biased report. They are all confrontations between BLM protestors and the Right-Wing Protestors. Both sides are agitated and yelling and throwing things and starting fights. Also looks like most of the right wingers were using the mace to drive off the BLM protestors who were getting too close or actively attacking them. I didn't see the right wingers starting anything or moving into the BLM crowd on the offensive.

Also that last line above "It was the worst violence of its kind in the city since an infamous afternoon in 2018, also involving Proud Boys, who came from all over the country to attend a rally that culminated in another vicious street brawl." shows just how biased the Guardian is. That is clearly a lie, just looking at the last couple of weeks at Portland this was nothing. Try to find a less biased source.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I looked through all the links in that very biased report. They are all confrontations between BLM protestors and the Right-Wing Protestors. Both sides are agitated and yelling and throwing things and starting fights. Also looks like most of the right wingers were using the mace to drive off the BLM protestors who were getting too close or actively attacking them. I didn't see the right wingers starting anything or moving into the BLM crowd on the offensive.

Also that last line above "It was the worst violence of its kind in the city since an infamous afternoon in 2018, also involving Proud Boys, who came from all over the country to attend a rally that culminated in another vicious street brawl." shows just how biased the Guardian is. That is clearly a lie, just looking at the last couple of weeks at Portland this was nothing. Try to find a less biased source.
                          Do you condone the behaviour of the rightwing protester who drew a firearm on opposing protesters?

Do you condone people turning up with firearms, knives, or wooden shields with nails driven through them?

Do you condone the vandalism of a snack van?

Or are those more questions you are going to avoid answering?
                          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 08-28-2020, 12:13 PM.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do you condone the behaviour of the rightwing protester who drew a firearm on opposing protesters?
                            didn't the article say he was shooting paintballs?

One rightwing protester drew a firearm on opposing protesters. Earlier, he had fired a paintball gun into the crowd,
                            what evidence was there that this was anything more than a paintball gun?

Do you condone people turning up with firearms, knives, or wooden shields with nails driven through them?
                            No. But the other side apparently was doing the same.

Do you condone the vandalism of a snack van?
                            nope

Or are those more questions you are going to avoid answering?
                            nope. But as I said, if the left hadn't been there attacking them the right probably wouldn't have been fighting back. It takes two to tango. On the other hand we have seen plenty of demonstrations by the left where they are attacking and destroying property without anyone from the right being there at all. Entire blocks look like a war zone.

Comment

didn't the article say he was shooting paintballs?
                              He aimed a firearm at opposing protesters.

what evidence was there that this was anything more than a paintball gun?
                              What evidence is there that it wasn't? Or are you just desperate to exonerate the neo-fascists?

No. But the other side apparently was doing the same.
                              Source evidence for opposition protesters also carrying guns, knives, and shields with nails stuck into them?

Oh I forgot.

Providing evidence for your contentions is not your strong suit is it?

But as I said, if the left hadn't been there attacking them the right probably wouldn't have been fighting back.
                              Where is the evidence the left were attacking them? According to the reporter it reads as if those rightwingers turned up, tooled up, and ready for a fight. They could have stayed at home.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment