Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Let's stop the nonsense about federal agents in Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    That was about as peaceful a protest as you can get. I still don't understand why conservatives lost their minds about it.

As well as being silent and peaceful, but apparently all it took for conservatives to go howling on this forum and across the internet was one guy not standing at the NFL. You talk about liberals being easily triggered, but that was ridiculous to watch.
    I tend to agree.

I understand that some take it as disrespectful to the military, or whatever. "Protests," by nature, are going to offend certain parties. No reason to go nuts with our offense.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Because we are a patriotic lot. We love this country and the symbols she bears. Taking the time that is specifically set aside for patriotic reflection and dedication and protesting during that time, especially using the symbol that drapes the caskets of fallen heroes, is just wrong. And intentional. And, not stopping there, actually LYING about it saying "it isn't about the flag" while using the time for recognizing the flag to stage your protest, is even more hypocritical. Especially for those of us who have served our country, our state, or our city/county and have lost friends and comrades in arms, and have had to stand by as our loved one is lowered into the ground after a life of service to that flag, it kind of gets you a bit upset...
      So sometimes getting "triggered" is acceptable.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        There are certain things that are considered respectful and disrespectful. Like those asshats who went around licking the ice cream and putting them back. The line is blurry, but when something is obviously over it, there is justification for outrage.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Like because our cities are burning...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Hey CP, you must be old enough to remember the civil rights protests of the 60"s, right. Do you remember the beatings those peaceful protesters got at the hands of the police? You know, like when John Lewis got his skull cracked open by the police for defiantly daring to walk over the Pettis bridge, the cops with their clubs and German shepards chasing and beating the protesters. They looked like riots, didn't they?. Certainly weren't peaceful. Was that what you'd call a peaceful protest, a protest that you would support? Were you in support of those cops as well, the way you're defending Trumps stormtroopers today?
            Um..... no. Frankly that's incredibly insulting to the civil rights protesters to even think to make such a comparison. They were actually protesting. Not shooting people, mobbing vehicles, burning down stores, looting and vandalizing stores, or anything remotely close to what the AntifaBLM terrorists have been doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Um..... no. Frankly that's incredibly insulting to the civil rights protesters to even think to make such a comparison. They were actually protesting. Not shooting people, mobbing vehicles, burning down stores, looting and vandalizing stores, or anything remotely close to what the AntifaBLM terrorists have been doing.
              It's by far one of the worst attempts Jim has ever made at an analogy. IF ONLY Jim's anarchist hate-filled heroes would protest so peacefully.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You'd have to ask a conservative who lost their mind over it, cause I certainly did not.
                The fact that you, other conservatives here, on Reddit, and across the internet are still talking about it proves my point. It was a small act lasting a few moments, hurting nothing more than the apparently enormously fragile national pride of conservatives.

You're doing that thing, again, where you're assuming things that simply are not true, particularly in my case. As I said, I thought it was stupid, but America affords us the right to be stupid.
                If what I said is false, why are conservatives still talking about it? And went full on cancel culture on the NFL, with threats, boycutts, demands etc... over one guy (and apparently his team mates) not standing during that corny song.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Originally posted by Leonhard
                There could just have been ordinary silence from the conservatives.
                You mean, like censorship? Because the left can't tolerate a difference of opinion. We must ALL smile and nod and accept this "peaceful protest" without commentary?
                No, like a proportionate responds. I could have seen maybe a commentator or two remarking on it. A lone discussion thread on tweb, with people making some remarks known. That is what I picture when I try to imagine what would be a reasonable response. However US conservatives are still talking about it with an intensity I'd expect from say... an attack of anarchists against a weapons depot, or the blowing up a police academy. I wonder if its one of those social effects where stuff that doesn't matter, like football, is where strong opinions come out?
                Last edited by Leonhard; 07-28-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  The fact that you, other conservatives here, on Reddit, and across the internet are still talking about it proves my point. It was a small act lasting a few moments, hurting nothing more than the apparently enormously fragile national pride of conservatives.
                  No, Leon, I was asked about it -- I didn't bring it up. It wasn't a biggie to me.

If what I said is false, why are conservatives still talking about it?
                  A) this is a discussion board where stuff is discussed
                  2) it came up, and I responded --- it really is no big deal to me at all -- as I said, I rarely every watch sports (except baseball)

And went full on cancel culture on the NFL, with threats, boycutts, demands etc... over one guy (and apparently his team mates) not standing during that corny song.
                  I don't even know what that means.

No, like a proportionate responds. I could have seen maybe a commentator or two remarking on it. A lone discussion thread on tweb, with people making some remarks known. That is what I picture when I try to imagine what would be a reasonable response. However US conservatives are still talking about it with an intensity I'd expect from say... an attack of anarchists against a weapons depot, or the blowing up a police academy. I wonder if its one of those social effects where stuff that doesn't matter, like football, is where strong opinions come out?
                  Um..... I responded to the discussion, Leon, and AGAIN, it's not all that big a deal to me.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What are "moms" doing in a riot zone defending anarchists trying to burn down a federal building?
                    I'm going to hazard a guess that they are trying to provoke cognitive dissonance in people who think that peaceful protesters are actually anarchists trying to burn down a federal building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                      I'm going to hazard a guess that they are trying to provoke cognitive dissonance in people who think that peaceful protesters are actually anarchists trying to burn down a federal building.
                      Well, considering they are NOT peaceful....
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

OK, so what are "peaceful protesters" doing hanging around with a bunch of anarchists trying to burn down a federal building?

Are you, perhaps, under the delusion that there is Not anarchy and chaos and -- as the Portland police have clearly said -- RIOTS?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Well, considering they are NOT peaceful....
                          I'm still amazed how Trump has managed to fool these liberals into defending chaos and anarchy.

Comment

OK, so what are "peaceful protesters" doing hanging around with a bunch of anarchists trying to burn down a federal building?
                            Do you have any evidence that they were?

Comment

That who were what? The scene is an ongoing riot.

Comment

Oh, I don't know... maybe the fire the other night?
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment