Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID deaths still declining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Maybe you are right. We should build the wall so that we are not affected by other countries.
    In reality we kikely could not have changed the course of the pandemic, because we did not have vaccines, nor coordinated aggressive efforts the virus was in control as in the past and it is taking its natural course. No one actually 'defeats' the virus as in the past.

It is possible with proactive coordinated efforts based on science and technology we can greatly reduce the occurance and severity of pandemics and epidemics.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      In reality we kikely could not have changed the course of the pandemic, because we did not have vaccines, nor coordinated aggressive efforts the virus was in control as in the past and it is taking its natural course. No one actually 'defeats' the virus as in the past.

It is possible with proactive coordinated efforts based on science and technology we can greatly reduce the occurance and severity of pandemics and epidemics.
      Mostly viruses have gone away without us attacking them. coronavirus vaccines have only made the test animals more susceptible to the wild virus.

Comment

Mostly viruses have gone away without us attacking them. coronavirus vaccines have only made the test animals more susceptible to the wild virus.
        This possibly true, but does not address the issues of this thread and others, and yet again it may not go away. After the basic natural pandemic virus natural infection cycle it may just hang around, and pick off the vulnerable, and cripple others. If this is the case the vaccines developed over time will be useful, but no help for those that perished and suffered so far.

Comment

This possibly true, but does not address the issues of this thread and others, and yet again it may not go away. After the basic natural pandemic virus natural infection cycle it may just hang around, and pick off the vulnerable, and cripple others. If this is the case the vaccines developed over time will be useful, but no help for those that perished and suffered so far.
          Sure. People fifty years from now may have a safe and sane vaccine against a little coronavirus that we have now. This would be the rare seasonal virus that most people would have immunity for while others get sick from it. Then we do the hydrochloroquine and the Pulmicort treatments to get them over it. This is life. Life goes on. We have survived all this time despite the obstacles. Go figure.

We are fearing too much of an unknown when thinking that we will need a vaccine for a virus we have only seen for 8 months. Most things that we worry about never happen. It is way too early to fear our futures with this sickness. Right now, the older ones of us need to boost our immune systems -- exercise, sleep, good diets, avoiding stress, sunshine, and other things.
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-19-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• It's amazing how such a result does not mean the Trump admin has failed in their response ... even though there are plenty of other nations that have NOT failed in their response.

Somehow, this self-evident observation is not what it appears to be ... and anyone inclined to make it is ... biased ... mentally unstable ... etc etc.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes. most pandemic virus pandemics do go away, an dI predicted it will likely this Fall, but many cyclically return or hang around. This fact does not address the argument that the COVID-19 pandemickilled hundreds of thousands, and made many more sereriously ill, amany do not fully recover, and at present more are dieing suffering at a high rate around the world.

I see your cold indifferent caloused view does not acknowledge that it is a pandemic that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in the USA alone and the continued suffering of those afflicted. Oh yes more will die.

Comment

• Jobs are coming back.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes. most pandemic virus pandemics do go away, an dI predicted it will likely this Fall, but many cyclically return or hang around. This fact does not address the argument that the COVID-19 pandemickilled hundreds of thousands, and made many more sereriously ill, amany do not fully recover, and at present more are dieing suffering at a high rate around the world.

I see your cold indifferent caloused view does not acknowledge that it is a pandemic that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in the USA alone and the continued suffering of those afflicted. Oh yes more will die.
                    Wake up. You are indifferent to the destruction of lives at a massive scale. The coronavirus pales in comparison to the disaster being created. Yes. More will die because of the ignorance of the side effects of the "cure."

I can't take you seriously at all when you are saying that my concern is not about lives. You have to rethink your arguments if you wish to have any real contribution to the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Jobs are coming back.
                      Some are coming back, but there are still nearly 20 million Americans collecting unemployment, up to 20% of small businesses will not survive, despite a record $7 trillions that were printed and parachuted into the economy, leaving a $25 trillion national debt. And this we haven't seen a second wave, more likely to occur in the Fall.

Comment

• Bad news: As I pointed out several posts back - Deaths are increasing and continue to increase. This is the third week in a row. Yesterday according the worldometers, the US reported 1119 new deaths. The last time it was any higher for a single day was June 2. The rate in growth is not as steep as early march and april, but we are on track for 160,000 deaths by the end of the first week of august.

Good news: Mask mandates appear to be taking effect! The rapid rise in new cases does appear to be leveling off. Given deaths are lagging cases by 3 to 4 weeks or so, that means we can expect deaths to continue to increase for another 3 to 4 weeks, but then to begin - again - to roll off. Keep in mind that means we still are likely to be higher in terms of spread of the disease when school starts than we were when we closed our schools. Fully opening schools will be an absolute disaster if we do not wait for the spread to slow.

Keep in mind that the most significant changes in policy that could be driving this current rolloff in daily case count is increased vigilence wrt social distancing and the much more widespread encouragement and mandating of mask wearing. There are some holdouts, some even reckless (like Georgia's attempt to ban mask mandates in cities) but many republican governors broke with trump on this, and now even Trump has broken with Trump on this and is encouraging mask wearing. All good. We just need ALL the states to yield to what is necessary to take control of the spread of this virus.

Perhaps now some of you will be less likely to place Trump support and/or partisan politics over science at least wrt this pandemic? One can only hope.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-22-2020, 09:49 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It is a bit harder to address the situation in America when you want to use BBC reports about the UK and other places.

If other countries have things to deal with, that is up to them.
                          Nothing here meaningful to address the purpose of the thread, and references provided so far. You are simply avoiding the reality of the pandemic for your own agenda. I have demonstrated that you have made many false statements without references and refuse to respond to the references provided.

I have showed that Maricopa County was not something to fear for the general population. If there are ways for long term care facilities to reduce transmission of disease among their residents, that is worth exploring. But this data has not been addressed well. We have to know why we should kill the economy and kill a broader population by our protective actions. The tough questions are how we will survive the cure.
                          As previous stated citing the data of one county is meaningless.

Comment

Nothing here meaningful to address the purpose of the thread, and references provided so far. You are simply avoiding the reality of the pandemic for your own agenda. I have demonstrated that you have made many false statements without references and refuse to respond to the references provided.

As previous stated citing the data of one county is meaningless.
                            Yes I avoid the pandemic because we are suffering greater losses. You may not face big problems where you are. But we're facing economic collapse.

My post has everything to do with the topic of the thread. I was weeding out your BBC info that had nothing to do with the decline of the COVID-19 in the states.

Comment

Yes I avoid the pandemic because we are suffering greater losses. You may not face big problems where you are. But we're facing economic collapse.
                              The pandemic is experiences greater fatalities and sever cases.

My post has everything to do with the topic of the thread.
                              As previous stated citing the data of one county is meaningless. The trends and totals of fatalities and severe cases, and hospitalizations are what is relevent.

I was weeding out your BBC info that had nothing to do with the decline of the COVID-19 in the states.
                              At present the COVID-19 deaths in the USA are not presently declining from the June surge. In fact they are increasing, and hospitals are filling up with severely ill patients.

The BBC reference is accurate.

Comment

• Just to emphasize the point: This is now the forth straight week of rising daily death count in the US. As I predicted over a month ago, the rise in Coronavirus cases that began in the middle of June will be followed by a rise in deaths some 2 to 3 weeks later. The actual rise began just about 3 weeks later, the tail end of the prediction. We know why it was pushed out a bit, the demographic changed to younger victims with a lower death rate and treatment also has improved, reducing death rate. If we follow the rise though, 1000 deaths per day corresponds with roughly 50,000 cases per day - a mortality of 2%. That being the case, and the fact we appear to have peaked at an average of around 68,000 cases/day, we will likely see a peak in average deaths per day of around 1400. This week saw 2 days at that level, but the average is lower.

That peak in the rise in daily new cases highlights yet another win for science over Trump facilitating misinformation. The other element of this discussion is the simple fact that the current bend in the rise in # cases/day corresponds directly with the massive turn away from Donald Trumps 'no mask' misinformation so many of you have embraced here. It is direct proof of the REAL effectiveness of mask wearing at reducing the spread of the virus. It also makes absolutely clear how completely mislead most of you have been by your Pro-Trump sources which eschew science and embrace senseless conspiracies and politically motivated excuse making.

Perhaps some of you will recognize your folly and turn from it?
                                Daily Deaths US 07312020.jpg

Daily Cases US 07312020.jpg
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment