Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The real reason mobs across the country are tearing down American monuments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    That you think liberals are almost exclusively in support of cancel culture makes me suspicious about your actual contact with actual liberals.
    The liberals I know and keep up with on, say, Facebook (largely from high school/college) seem very much on board with cancel culture. With Rowling in particular, it's become a downright obsession. I've never read anything by her so I kind of have tuned that whole controversy out.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Then you go with that fantasy of yours. I fully affirm your right to live in your reality.
      Yet you don't point to my mistake...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I also talk to liberals online, I don't have the impression you have of them. Which ones have you been talking to. The liberal friends I have are glad that the US is involved less in war. One of the big criticisms made of Obama and Hillary by them was that one of them didn't do enough to pull the US out of wars it had no business being in, and the other one had intentions of keeping that up. Cancel culture is a rather problematic affair, especially among my feminist friends.

That you think liberals are almost exclusively in support of cancel culture makes me suspicious about your actual contact with actual liberals.
        I watch TYT videos, as well as videos by Jimmy Dore and Tim Pool, all of which are sickeningly progressive. Though Tim not as much as the previous two. So I don't know why there's a disconnect here, but I doubt it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The liberals I know and keep up with on, say, Facebook (largely from high school/college) seem very much on board with cancel culture. With Rowling in particular, it's become a downright obsession. I've never read anything by her so I kind of have tuned that whole controversy out.
          Poor, poor Rowling, and all the millions she's not earning. How dare we even consider preventing her from that by... not buying her books?

The cancel culture I was thinking about was what involved getting places to literally cancel presenters. Germaine Greer had been cancelled like that. A move I don't support in the slightest. I fully support people's right either to engage with her or not, but preventing someone from speaking on a subject they're qualified to speak on is not something I'm very comfortable with.

Again, it's also something a lot of liberals voice concern about, publically.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Yet you don't point to my mistake...
            Seer, you spot your grandfather yelling about flouridation in the water being a soviet plot to infiltrate the US, do you start to point out to him that the soviet union has long since disolved, that the communists aren't in control of the water works but that it was done as a result of the manhatten project showing that flouridation of water prevented tooth decay?

Or do you try to talk about something else?

Comment

Just to show how off the rails the NEW leftists have become, Rowling is actually a leftist herself.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I watch TYT videos, as well as videos by Jimmy Dore and Tim Pool, all of which are sickeningly progressive.
                Of those I think only the TYT are liberals. Jimmy Dore is an independent known for the Seth Rich conspiracy theories, and Tom Pool is alt-right youtuber ranting about liberals.

I'd suggest maybe some leftists sources?

Comment

Poor, poor Rowling, and all the millions she's not earning. How dare we even consider preventing her from that by... not buying her books?

The cancel culture I was thinking about was what involved getting places to literally cancel presenters. Germaine Greer had been cancelled like that. A move I don't support in the slightest. I fully support people's right either to engage with her or not, but preventing someone from speaking on a subject they're qualified to speak on is not something I'm very comfortable with.

Again, it's also something a lot of liberals voice concern about, publically.
                  My understanding of the term is that if somebody is "canceled", that just means that they are now persona non grata. So perhaps there may be two different uses of the term. I'd be surprised if that was widely opposed by American liberals, though. Ivanka Trump's Wichita State address being canceled was met with an awful lot of glee.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Just to show how off the rails the NEW leftists have become, Rowling is actually a leftist herself.
                    Conservatives have a policy that it is forbidden to criticize another conservative? If not, then why do you think it is bad for leftists to criticize Rowling despite her being leftist?

Comment

So perhaps there may be two different uses of the term. I'd be surprised if that was widely opposed by American liberals, though.
                      I find most serious liberals don't know much about it to begin with.

Comment

Conservatives have a policy that it is forbidden to criticize another conservative?
                        You don't hear a whole lot about Reagan's Eleventh Commandment anymore it seems.

Comment

Seer, you spot your grandfather yelling about flouridation in the water being a soviet plot to infiltrate the US, do you start to point out to him that the soviet union has long since disolved, that the communists aren't in control of the water works but that it was done as a result of the manhatten project showing that flouridation of water prevented tooth decay?

Or do you try to talk about something else?
                          What does that have to do with the Black Lives Matter Marxists? Or what kind of Marxists they are? And why is it that Marxism always seems to turn into totalitarian Communism? Because Marxism as a theory is unworkable without top down control?
                          Last edited by seer; 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Of those I think only the TYT are liberals. Jimmy Dore is an independent known for the Seth Rich conspiracy theories, and Tom Pool is alt-right youtuber ranting about liberals.

I'd suggest maybe some leftists sources?
                            Tim Pool is not alt-right.

It's the off-the-rails NEW leftist that call him that because he's actually a sensible leftist, which I still fervently disagree with politically. Though he did say he finally was thinking of buying a gun as a result of the political and social atmosphere, so maybe that's what the off-the-rails left does to a person.

And Jimmy Dore is progressive as they come. Though he too isn't as off the rails as TYT which is why he parted ways with them. As far as Seth Rich conspiracy, I've never heard him espouse that theory. In fact, when Joe Rogan brought that subject up in an interview, Jimmy pretty much downplayed it.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              What does that have to do with the Black Lives Matter Marxists?
                              Because you're rambling as incoherently as that old man. You don't know what Karl Marx taught in the slightest. You also don't know anything about him except that you think that he was the cause of the revolutions that took place in China or Russia. You also think the kind of dictatorship practiced there had anything to do with what those teachings were about. It's not so much that there's particular detail that you're wrong about seer in unpacking it, it's a fractal of errors to say that "BLM Marxists" have anything to do with Stalin, or Lenin, or Mao.

All I need to say here is that there isn't any similarity. It is up to you to argue, based on what they believe, that it is the same thing.

Comment

Conservatives have a policy that it is forbidden to criticize another conservative? If not, then why do you think it is bad for leftists to criticize Rowling despite her being leftist?
                                Leon, you're in denial, man. And you're getting too defensive about it, which tells me this convo won't go anywhere.

Comment