Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fauci says Trump hasn't ordered slowdown of coronavirus testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, that's why I spent my Saturday morning meeting with local black leaders and our police discussing race relations and how we prevent bad things from happening.
    Here's how that went.....

We had a meeting with the black clergy, activists, one guy from BLM (who was very reasonable, by the way), the Police Chief, his command staff, and several leaders in the community.
    Concerns were aired by the community, and the Chief did an excellent job of hearing them out and asking probing questions.
    It was really a great discussion, calm, reasoned, no berzerkness at all.

At one point, one of our activists asked the Chief, "can you guarantee that what happened in other parts of the country won't happen here to our young people?"
    The Chief answered very sincerely, looking eye to eye at the activist, and asked "can YOU guarantee that none of your young people will do something really stupid?"

At first, I thought that was gonna be a flashpoint, but he proceeded to explain that in many cases, these incidents could have been prevented entirely, and gave several examples, (some of which I have used here).

Interestingly enough, the activists didn't go stark raving mad and accuse him of blaming the victims --- they seemed to understand that a lot of these situations can actually be 'headed off at the pass'.

It was a VERY good 2 hour session, after which all rules of the "social distancing" thing went unintentionally out the window because handshaking and hugging broke out.

I'm just glad we didn't have any leftist lunatics there --- there was a true sense of "let's work this out, and work to PREVENT bad things from happening".

ETA: WARNING!!!! Sorry about the strong profanity - that was a direct quote, but it was MUCH worse than that for several minutes non-stop

By the way, at one point, the Chief showed some bodycam footage from our officers where, at a routine traffic stop, a black man would jump out of his vehicle and come running at the cop yelling stuff like "you gonna shoot me, ..... ..... - come, on, SHOOT ME you -[even worse epithets]..... "

Our black activists were stunned --- "that happened in OUR TOWN?" AT that point, my son-in-law, a Lieutenant, stood up and said, "that was from my own body cam, and I was simply advising him his taillights were out, but I can show you some more footage even more challenging than that".

The activist said, "no, I think we get it".

Again, both sides were very civil and polite, mostly, I think, because we KNOW EACH OTHER, and want the best for our community.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-25-2020, 10:30 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I keep reading this, and checking to make sure this isn't something JimL typed.

How, exactly, does "going berserk" help anything?

I know it's crazy, but I prefer to actually work in our health care clinic, Jobs for Live program, pregnancy center, faith based mission ---- to actually address real life problems..... yeah, I'm bragging again.

Maybe I should go pee on MLK Blvd!!!! THAT'll show 'em!!!!!

You people are NUTS.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        I meant gather in large numbers as being berserk. Protestors of police brutality gathered in large numbers peacefully, disrupting and causing change.
        And, as we've seen, that often turns to violence. Have you been watching the news lately?

Let's see, recently, our protests shut down the abortion clinic in a neighboring city, and subsequently bought it and turned it into a pro-life pregnancy center. Good enough?

And we managed to do all that with kneeling and praying - not even ONE smashed window or burned down building!

so be humble.
        I try, but when you're as good lookin and smart as me, it's SO very hard.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's how that went.....

We had a meeting with the black clergy, activists, one guy from BLM (who was very reasonable, by the way), the Police Chief, his command staff, and several leaders in the community.
          Concerns were aired by the community, and the Chief did an excellent job of hearing them out and asking probing questions.
          It was really a great discussion, calm, reasoned, no berzerkness at all.

At one point, one of our activists asked the Chief, "can you guarantee that what happened in other parts of the country won't happen here to our young people?"
          The Chief answered very sincerely, looking eye to eye at the activist, and asked "can YOU guarantee that none of your young people will do something really stupid?"

At first, I thought that was gonna be a flashpoint, but he proceeded to explain that in many cases, these incidents could have been prevented entirely, and gave several examples, (some of which I have used here).

Interestingly enough, the activists didn't go stark raving mad and accuse him of blaming the victims --- they seemed to understand that a lot of these situations can actually be 'headed off at the pass'.

It was a VERY good 2 hour session, after which all rules of the "social distancing" thing went unintentionally out the window because handshaking and hugging broke out.

I'm just glad we didn't have any leftist lunatics there --- there was a true sense of "let's work this out, and work to PREVENT bad things from happening".

By the way, at one point, the Chief showed some bodycam footage from our officers where, at a routine traffic stop, a black man would jump out of his vehicle and come running at the cop yelling stuff like "you gonna shoot me, M... F.... - come, on, SHOOT ME you -[even worse epithets]..... "

Our black activists were stunned --- "that happened in OUR TOWN?" AT that point, my son-in-law, a Lieutenant, stood up and said, "that was from my own body cam, and I was simply advising him his taillights were out, but I can show you some more footage even more challenging than that".

The activist said, "no, I think we get it".

Again, both sides were very civil and polite, mostly, I think, because we KNOW EACH OTHER, and want the best for our community.

Comment

Update on the original story: Trump really wasn't kidding.
            https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews...testing-sites/
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Are you guys all drinking the same water or something? Have you gone completely stark raving mad? I don't expect any such thing, but I work for it nonetheless. Perhaps if you weren't such a hateful....

wow

You also discount the damage to racial relations POTUS does by provokingly saying Floyd smiles at the job numbers.
              You have really become quite the nutter.

Comment

And, as we've seen, that often turns to violence. Have you been watching the news lately?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Update on the original story: Trump really wasn't kidding.
                  https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews...testing-sites/

Comment

False - I have said repeatedly Trump says and does nutty things.

Why are the leftists of Tweb going so incredibly unhinged? You are becoming the poster boy for leftist nutters.

Comment

Are you guys all drinking the same water or something? Have you gone completely stark raving mad? I don't expect any such thing, but I work for it nonetheless. Perhaps if you weren't such a hateful....

wow

You have really become quite the nutter.
                      https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...et-son-b-field

Comment

Why are the leftists of Tweb going so incredibly unhinged? You are becoming the poster boy for leftist nutters.

Comment

Only in passing; the lion's share of your attention is on the nutty things said and done by the people reacting to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            Only in passing; the lion's share of your attention is on the nutty things said and done by the people reacting to him.
                            Well, yeah, they're a lot more fun. And, I agree, they do and say some pretty nutty things reacting to him.

Comment

Well, yeah, they're a lot more fun. And, I agree, they do and say some pretty nutty things reacting to him.
                              C020F8BF-FD18-4CDE-9060-A5A48DAC3E1A.jpeg

Comment

That's only natural.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45991[/ATTACH]
                                Yes, it's a bias. But I don't think you'll see the crazy loons at the Trump Rallies burning flags, smashing windows, and looting stores.

Comment