Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Muhammad Ali�s son says dad would have hated �racist� Black Lives Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Actually by claiming the son is wrong about what Ali would say, you are doing exactly that: being someone who is claiming what his dead father really thought.
    Not at all. We all know the history of ALI and his own protests against the government for civil rights, and against the Vietnam war, for which he gave up his carrer, his income, and went to prison for years and for which at the time he was reviled for. Apparently the son doesn't know the father as well as he thinks he does.
    Last edited by JimL; 06-24-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Not at all. We all know the history of ALI and his own protests against the government for civil rights, and against the Vietnam war, which at the time he was reviled for. Apparently the son doesn't know the father as well as he thinks he does.
      Apparently you don't know what Ali stood for, Jim, because he most certainly was for PEACEFUL protests, not anarchy.

Muhammad Ali - Biography

"Muhammad indicated that when the end came for him, he wanted us to use his life and his death as a teaching moment for young people, for his country and for the world," Lonnie said. "In effect, he wanted us to remind people who are suffering that he had seen the face of injustice. That he grew up during segregation, and that during his early life he was not free to be who he wanted to be. But he never became embittered enough to quit or to engage in violence."

As a matter of fact, can you think of WHY he was against the Vietnam war?

And....

In his retirement, Ali devoted much of his time to philanthropy. Over the years, Ali supported the Special Olympics and the Make-A-Wish Foundation, among other organizations. In 1996, he lit the Olympic cauldron at the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, an emotional moment in sports history.

Ali traveled to numerous countries, including Mexico and Morocco, to help out those in need. In 1998, he was chosen to be a United Nations Messenger of Peace because of his work in developing nations.

Peace - not chaos and mayhem.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        That seems to be the liberal way: "If you aren't on our side, you ain't black"
        Christians are intimately familiar with this tactic. Republicans, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Apparently you don't know what Ali stood for, Jim, because he most certainly was for PEACEFUL protests, not anarchy.

Muhammad Ali - Biography

"Muhammad indicated that when the end came for him, he wanted us to use his life and his death as a teaching moment for young people, for his country and for the world," Lonnie said. "In effect, he wanted us to remind people who are suffering that he had seen the face of injustice. That he grew up during segregation, and that during his early life he was not free to be who he wanted to be. But he never became embittered enough to quit or to engage in violence."

As a matter of fact, can you think of WHY he was against the Vietnam war?
          Apparently you're miscomprending the point again. The argument is whether he would be against the BLM movement, and what they are protesting against, i.e. police discrimination and abuse, nothing about violence.

Comment

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised.

When I started the thread, I fully expected some of the lefties might say something like, "well, he's entitled to his opinion" or "his father is entitled to his opinion"......

I considered the possibility that some might actually attack the son, but never in my wildest imagination did I think the lefties would call his son a liar or a "clueless dope".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Apparently you're miscomprending

the point again.
              I haven't miscomprended [sic] the point in the first place.

The argument is whether he would be against the BLM movement,
              That's what his son claimed.

and what they are protesting against, i.e. police discrimination and abuse, nothing about violence.
              That is NOT what his son was talking about, you slippery little devil, you.

No, the argument is the MANNER in which protests are done -- Ali was very PASSIVE in his protests.

Comment

When I started the thread, I fully expected some of the lefties might say something like, "well, he's entitled to his opinion" or "his father is entitled to his opinion"......

I considered the possibility that some might actually attack the son, but never in my wildest imagination did I think the lefties would call his son a liar or a "clueless dope".

Shouldn't surprise you. Anybody who disagrees with them, living OR dead, is fair game.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Shouldn't surprise you. Anybody who disagrees with them, living OR dead, is fair game.
                  They eat their own?

Comment

They eat their own?

Well, that shows up in the news more and more as time goes by and they can't keep their ideologies connected to their behaviour, so, yes!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I haven't miscomprended [sic] the point in the first place.

That's what his son claimed.

That is NOT what his son was talking about, you slippery little devil, you.

No, the argument is the MANNER in which protests are done -- Ali was very PASSIVE in his protests.
                      No, you just seem to have a reading comprension problem CP. What Ali's son said was that his father would say that the BLM movement is racist.

Comment

No, you just seem to have a reading comprension problem CP. What Ali's son said was that his father would say that the BLM movement is racist.

And do you say that Ali's son is incorrect in his statement?

Comment

The only one lying is you, no one called Ali's son a liar.

Comment

The only one lying is you, no one called Ali's son a liar.
                            Calm yourself, JimmyPoo....

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            I do not believe his son can speak for Muhammad Ali. He is expressing his own beliefs.
                            If that's not implying that his son is a liar, what is?

And YOU are the one who said....

... his son sounds like a clueless dope.
                            The links were there in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              And do you say that Ali's son is incorrect in his statement?
                              Actually what he said is that "he thinks his father would say they were racist." And yes, based on Ali's history, his protest for the civil rights of black people and his stance against the Vietnam war, I think his son is incorrect in his statement.

Comment

Actually what he said is that "he thinks his father would say they were racist." And yes, based on Ali's history, his protest for the civil rights of black people and his stance against the Vietnam war, I think his son is incorrect in his statement.

Ali was very definitely a PEACEFUL protester, Jim.

So, who do we believe? Some white cracker who serially spouts stupid stuff and is almost always wrong? Or the son of the man who speaks things that seem quite consistent with Ali's very PEACEFUL life?

Comment