Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    JimL needs to take one of those gun training courses with the shoot/no shoot scenarios and see how he does. Until he can walk a mile in a cops shoes, even in simulation, he has no basis for his armchair quarterbacking.
    And you have taken those courses or walked the mile?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Why, Jimmy, it almost sounds like you're blaming the victim. I have it on good authority that makes you a racist.
      I bet he doesn't realize it, though.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I have!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I bet he doesn't realize it, though.
          That's because of the covert societal racism that has seeped into his brain. He's unconsciously racist, and any attempts to deny it will simply affirm his guilt.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O2IReqaYqw

Start at 41 minutes in for the action part.
            OK, at 42:17 it looks like he did kick him in that video.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That's because of the covert societal racism that has seeped into his brain. He's unconsciously racist, and any attempts to deny it will simply affirm his guilt.

Like when he calls out a brother because the brother can't POSSIBLY go against the liberal narrative?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                My brother is a cop, dad was in the Army, and was a hillbilly who liked to hunt and I have had gun training, and have been using guns and rifles since I was 8 years old. yes. And I am not the one trying to second guess what the cop did by saying stupid things like "why didn't he fire a warning shot?" Just where does he think that "warning bullet" would go? Who would it hit?

Comment

OK, at 42:17 it looks like he did kick him in that video.
                  I'm still trying to figure out the whole thing, but this I know ----

when the two officers are dealing (one of them for nearly three quarters of an hour) with a compliant drunk, having to explain things over and over, putting up with his confusion and general stupidity, there's a false sense of security -- boredom, actuallly.... then all of a sudden, the subject turns it into a battle in the blink of an eye -- the adrenaline kicks in, you're in a fight for your life, and it's physically impossible just to "turn off the adrenaline" seconds later.

I don't know of any way that can ever change, because it's a natural physiological response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm still trying to figure out the whole thing, but this I know ----

when the two officers are dealing (one of them for nearly three quarters of an hour) with a compliant drunk, having to explain things over and over, putting up with his confusion and general stupidity, there's a false sense of security -- boredom, actuallly.... then all of a sudden, the subject turns it into a battle in the blink of an eye -- the adrenaline kicks in, you're in a fight for your life, and it's physically impossible just to "turn off the adrenaline" seconds later.

I don't know of any way that can ever change, because it's a natural physiological response.
                    Yeah, he could have been kicking away the taser too, before stepping over him to handcuff him. You can't see clear enough.

Comment

Yeah, he could have been kicking away the taser too, before stepping over him to handcuff him. You can't see clear enough.
                      It's really hard for me to believe, as PATIENT and respectful as he had been throughout all the process, that he would suddenly become hostile like that.
                      It's CONCEIVABLE...... like maybe, "man, I gave you opportunity after opportunity, I treated you with respect, I......"

I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It's really hard for me to believe, as PATIENT and respectful as he had been throughout all the process, that he would suddenly become hostile like that.
                        It's CONCEIVABLE...... like maybe, "man, I gave you opportunity after opportunity, I treated you with respect, I......"

I just don't know.
                        It also could be that he is rolling him on to his stomach so he doesn't have to get with in grabbing distance or even just moving his legs together with his foot.
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          It also could be that he is rolling him on to his stomach so he doesn't have to get with in grabbing distance or even just moving his legs together with his foot.
                          Yeah, too hard to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            The usual 'Lets look at the facts while we condemn the victim argument.'
                            I mean, we haven't really leaned hard into the "condemn the victim argument", but since you're accusing us of doing it anyways, I'd like to point out that he's on parole for (among other things) a conviction of felony child abuse. Let that sink in for a moment.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Obviousl, like CP, being in law enforcement, biased to begin with.
                            We all have some sort of implicit bias, JimL. I'll tend to be biased for police, and you'll tend to be biased against police. Such is life. The real question is, how should a third party evaluate our claims? The answer is, by examining the facts and logic used in the argument to verify that it all checks out. And then evaluating who's made the best argument. I've quoted sources, referenced case law, and given detailed explanations based on advanced training I have in the forensic investigations of shooting incidents, criminal law, and other relevant topics.

You, however, haven't made coherent arguments against my claims and have basically just repeated yourself over and over. So....who should everyone in this thread be inclined to believe?

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            I haven't read all of Jims posts, but from what I have that isn't his argument at all. The basic argument is that you don't shoot a fleeing suspect in the back unless there is good reason to believe that he is a serious threat to the officer or the public. He wasn't, his only purpose was to flee. Stupid, but not worthy of death.
                            You conveniently left out trying to shoot the officer with a tazer while running. That's either sloppy work or an outright lie. Get your act together.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              His death was a direct result of the officer having little regard for human life and shooting him in the back as he fled instead of letting him go. He didn't even fire a warning shot.
                              If you'd read Tennessee vs. Garner or knew anything about modern law enforcement, you'd know that warning shots are strictly prohibited. It's an old school thing that is considered reckless and needlessly risky (accidentally inuring or killing someone who is not posing a threat).
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                                If you'd read Tennessee vs. Garner or knew anything about modern law enforcement, you'd know that warning shots are strictly prohibited. It's an old school thing that is considered reckless and needlessly risky (accidentally inuring or killing someone who is not posing a threat).
                                I remember an episode of Adam 12 many years ago, where Lt Reicher (sp) was with some officers chasing a bad guy, and one of the rookies fired a warning shot in the air.

Lt Reicher got all flustered and yelled something like "what's the matter with you, why are you shooting at GOD, don't they tell you at the Academy that HE'S on OUR side!"

Comment