Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting to see what happens with the NFL viewer and attendance numbers when that returns.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      A trivial search would reveal that this video is, per its creator, comedy / satire.
      The problem is that the very worst parody or satire or whatever is not very far at all from the idiocy we've seen from the extreme fringe left.
      Yet like several people, you reacted to it in this thread was as if it were genuine. Your "Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!" makes no sense if you knew if was satire.

You know it's a fake, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        The trend has been downward, for some time now.

'They'll be fine' is just your ignorance speaking, JimL.
        "They'll be fine" was obviously a reference to the affect of the flag's absence on NASCAR's ratings. Just because they were already losing market share before this decision doesn't make Jim wrong or ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          No it isn't. Not even close. In order for it to surpass the NFL and MLB, you have to add EVERY OTHER non-NASCAR division, including Formula 1, in motorsports.
          Eh, it's all the same to me. Car racing is car racing. Perhaps they realize they need to be more inclusive and their older white confederate flag bearing fan base isn't cutting it.Or perhaps they actually want to take a stand against racism.

http://www.jayski.com/2020/06/01/nascar-statement/

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            "They'll be fine" was obviously a reference to the affect of the flag's absence on NASCAR's ratings. Just because they were already losing market share before this decision doesn't make Jim wrong or ignorant.
            Pointing out that they are not fine, and weren't fine, before they banned the flag is relevant, since banning the flag is likely to have a negative effect on their already falling core audience. I expect NASCAR to drop even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Eh, it's all the same to me. Car racing is car racing. Perhaps they realize they need to be more inclusive and their older white confederate flag bearing fan base isn't cutting it.Or perhaps they actually want to take a stand against racism.

http://www.jayski.com/2020/06/01/nascar-statement/

I believe that their audience is only 9% between 18-34, and mostly, by far, over 55. So perhaps they're inevitably going down regardless. I can't see banning the flag helping in any way.

As for 'making a statement against racism' - mostly that translates to doing something that doesn't actually affect anything in the real world, but looks good to urban liberal leftists.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                Yet like several people, you reacted to it in this thread was as if it were genuine. Your "Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!" makes no sense if you knew if was satire.

You know it's a fake, right?

At the time it was posted I did not know it was a set up.

And if it was, it is in very bad taste, at the very least, and does nothing to promote good relations between races.

And, a prayer for the Lord to return quickly is never out of place while we live in this sin-sick, evil world.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And if it was, it is in very bad taste, at the very least, and does nothing to promote good relations between races.

And, a prayer for the Lord to return quickly is never out of place while we live in this sin-sick, evil world.
                  It must have been a flaw in engineering, the Lord should have made us all more like you.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    It must have been a flaw in engineering, the Lord should have made us all more like you.
                    Wow.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I believe that their audience is only 9% between 18-34, and mostly, by far, over 55. So perhaps they're inevitably going down regardless. I can't see banning the flag helping in any way.

As for 'making a statement against racism' - mostly that translates to doing something that doesn't actually affect anything in the real world, but looks good to urban liberal leftists.
                      Mostly it recognizes that the confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of racism by most of the country and the world and thus has no place in the modern world except as an artifact of history. It recognizes that flag carries that meaning, regardless of what other meanings it may carry.

It has a strong effect in that it stops sending the message that nascar embraces a symbol strongly associated with racism. It says this symbol and those that embrace that aspect of it are not welcome in nascar. It says if you race with nascar, nascar will not tolerate you expressing tolerance for racism through that symbol.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-12-2020, 10:54 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I suppose. I'm not disagreeing, but I took it as cheap propaganda rather than something in bad taste. To me, the video is indicative of the problem with fake news, and using social media to be informed about what's going on.

I didn't object to the prayer. He could have said something entirely secular (ie. "someone please give these liberal white people some common sense!"), and I would have questioned his reaction just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Mostly it recognizes that the confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of racism by most of the country and the world and thus has no place in the modern world except as an artifact of history. It recognizes that flag carries that meaning, regardless of what other meanings it may carry.
                          You are dense Jim if you don't see what is going on. Statues of Washington and Jefferson are symbol of racism, the Betsy Ross flag is seen as a racist symbol. The American flag is racist. Where will it end Jim?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/prof...ayed-on-campus

https://www.newsweek.com/betsy-ross-...racist-1447174
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It has a strong effect in that it stops sending the message that nascar embraces a symbol strongly associated with racism. It says this symbol and those that embrace that aspect of it are not welcome in nascar. It says if you race with nascar, nascar will not tolerate you expressing tolerance for racism through that symbol.
                            There is an equal or greater problem of those in the "North" (basically the elitist leftist mindset).
                            The North proclaims its pseudo-intellectual stand over against the so-called idiots of the South. There is great inherent hypocrisy in the North's claim to promote equality. This Northern "equality" is made at the expense of replaying the Civil War over and over again. The claim of supremacy is made by the North by making blacks into servants of the North's cause. The supremacy is at the claim of excluding a Christian message.

The North despises a Christianity which offers a living relationship with our Creator. The North despises a Christianity with a competing claim of morality.

The essential distinction betwen the North and imagined South here is that the North exercises its bias without having a flag to wave -- a flag that can be captured in pictures. The Northern bias is hidden and thus quite dangerous.
                            Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-12-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah. Tell your core audience that they are racist hicks, and a symbol they value is no longer allowed.
                              I haven't seen evidence that supporters of the Confederacy are NASCAR's core audience.

I have seen both liberals and conservatives being nostalgic about shows like The Dukes Of Hazzard, and not caring particularly that it displayed rebel flags back in the day. There's a good chance that both sides would cheer an appearance made by The General Lee in the right context.

In other words, there's a good chance that banning the flag isn't going to impact NASCAR's bottom line too much. Time will tell, though...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                You are dense Jim if you don't see what is going on. Statues of Washington and Jefferson are symbol of racism, the Betsy Ross flag is seen as a racist symbol. The American flag is racist. Where will it end Jim?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/prof...ayed-on-campus

https://www.newsweek.com/betsy-ross-...racist-1447174
                                They weren't treasonous insurrectionist against their own country which cost the lives of what, 160 thousand americans, in the fight to preserve slavery.

Comment