Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Poverty breeds criminality,
    Does it have to, Jim? I grew up in poverty - one of nine kids - but we didn't know we were poor because mom kept us clean, and dad worked hard to keep us in food.

and reallocating funds from the police to the needs of the community will reduce crime, and the cost burden of the criminal justice system. What we are now heading for is a police state.
    I suppose you can show a study that supports this cockamaimie bird-brained nutjob notion?

Jim, that's just typical wild-eyed liberal pie in the sky horsie poo.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I see no need for presence period. What's the next thing Cow Poke, an M-1 Abrams Tank and M134 machine guns? How about the military getting the old Flamethrowers out of storage, I'm sure they're perfect for "riot" control.
      I love you, brother.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's idiotic to even think that's what defunding means, seer. No one wants to get rid of law enforcement, it's about reform and reallocation of funds, not abolishing the police. That's just dumb!
        Jim that is exactly what some on the left are taking about, they want the police abolished, not just defunded or changed! Period. Look at the links.

Poverty breeds criminality, and reallocating funds from the police to the needs of the community will reduce crime, and the cost burden of the criminal justice system. What we are now heading for is a police state.

Really - let's watch what actually happens in Minneapolis over the next couple of years.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Jim that is exactly what some on the left are taking about, they want the police abolished, not just defunded or changed! Period. Look at the links.
          They've actually declared that they want SOCIAL WORKERS to respond to things like domestic violence instead of "armed police".

Really - let's watch what actually happens in Minneapolis over the next couple of years.
          Hopefully, the good citizens of Minneapolis will wake up and realize they have to recall these morons before it's too late.

Comment

• I just hope that the extreme left liberal nutters keep this up, and "middle America" can recognize how loony left they have gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The primary use would be for use in raids on crack houses (you'd be amazed how deadly those can be to police - a friend of mine was killed just a few years ago in one of those) and riots.
              As someone who's very pro-police (I believe that's how you recently labeled yourself), what's your opinion on the supposed militarization of the police? I'm referring mostly to the growth of tactical & military-style hardware being used by law enforcement.

Do you generally approve? Do you approve of gear like that being used, but less often than it currently is? Do you have a generally negative view of it?

From the little I know of you, I wouldn't necessarily peg you as 100% pro-hardware (personally or professionally), but I assume you're more pro than not...

Comment

I just hope that the extreme left liberal nutters keep this up, and "middle America" can recognize how loony left they have gone.
                There's nothing nutty about questioning militarization of the police.

Comment

There's nothing nutty about questioning militarization of the police.
                  Not that, Leon, the whole notion of defunding - and even disbanding - whole police departments. That's the topic of this thread.

It wasn't military tactics or equipment that killed George Floyd.

Comment

Does it have to, Jim? I grew up in poverty - one of nine kids - but we didn't know we were poor because mom kept us clean, and dad worked hard to keep us in food.
                    Whether it has to or not is not the question, the fact is that poverty does breed crime and has long been known to be the main factor. Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor in 121 AD; "poverty is the mother of crime."

I suppose you can show a study that supports this cockamaimie bird-brained nutjob notion?
                    Probably could, but that poverty is a breeding ground for crime is basically common knowledge to most people, so I'll leave that for you to learn for yourself.
                    Jim, that's just typical wild-eyed liberal pie in the sky horsie poo.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I'm certainly a lot more worried about this, than you are about protesters throwing fire crackers or bashing in windows.

burn1.jpg burn2.jpg burn3.jpg burn4.jpg burn5.jpg burn6.jpg
                      And that, AFICT, was a mere taste from just Minneapolis[1]

And perhaps you can tell folks like federal security officer at Oakland's Federal Building, Pat Underwood, that it's just someone throwing firecrackers. He was shot and killed during protests when at least one shooter opened fire on the building. Sort of like David Dorn, a retired police captain turned police chief, who's dead body was found outside a St. Louis pawn shop that had been looted. He had been shot.

Also in St. Louis, four police officers were shot near a downtown intersection well after an initial peaceful protest had turned violent. But at least they are all expected to live unlike Underwood and Dorn. Same with Las Vegas police officer Shay Mikalonis, shot by a protester while making an arrest.

1 I think it was after the just the second night that there was a list of at least 250 businesses that were burned down or totally destroyed there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whether it has to or not is not the question, the fact is that poverty does breed crime and has long been known to be the main factor. Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor in 121 AD; "poverty is the mother of crime."
                        Doesn't have to be. Might be a good idea to look at how to change that.

Probably could,
                        I doubledog dare ya. You can't. You won't.

but that poverty is a breeding ground for crime is basically common knowledge to most people, so I'll leave that for you to learn for yourself.
                        I know that's certainly a probability, but I tend not to accept that as a given.

Jim, that's just typical wild-eyed liberal pie in the sky horsie poo.
                        Yes, I agree.

Comment

Not that, Leon, the whole notion of defunding - and even disbanding - whole police departments. That's the topic of this thread.
                          The Bible has a whole parable about a tree being rotten and not producing good fruit. There was nothing to be done then but chop it down and burn it.

It wasn't military tactics or equipment that killed George Floyd.
                          True, but it's another perverse element of it.

Comment

The Bible has a whole parable about a tree being rotten and not producing good fruit. There was nothing to be done then but chop it down and burn it.
                            I really wouldn't expect you to misapply scripture like that, Leon.

True, but it's another perverse element of it.
                            It had ZERO to do with George Floyd's death. Not a single thing. That was the action of a cop abusing his power, and others not stepping in to challenge him on it.

Comment

You are misunderstanding what is meant by defunding. It doesn't mean doing away with law enforcement, it means reallocating some of the billions that go into law enforcement back into communities. In otherwords instead of breeding criminality and unnecessarily locking all criminals up, which for one thing is costing billions, and take someof the burden off of law enforcement and put those funds into the needs of communities.
                              Minneapolis is defunding and dismantling their police force. No. More. Police. Department. At least that is what the city council voted to do. The Mayer is saying no, and got booed for it.

I say if they don't want police, just put up a wall around the city and let them go at it like that movie "Escape from New York"

Maybe they can sell tickets to it like some Purge version of Disney Land.

Comment

I just hope that the extreme left liberal nutters keep this up, and "middle America" can recognize how loony left they have gone.
                                Yes, I think this will turn a lot of soccer moms!
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment