Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CrowdStrike couldn't say for sure Russians stole DNC emails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I don't understand why it's "unproven" the files were taken from the DNC server, considering how massive it was. Where else would they have been able to get those files, or is there some sort of way they could have intercepted the files in transit between servers?
    I agree with you that, for all intents and purposes, it's proven. The interviewee is hedging because a less skilled hacker (e.g. me :D) would leave behind definitive proof that files were transferred. For example, normally a short history commands you execute is retained. Failing to clear this history would definitively show that commands were executed to transfer files.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Right, they can't prove that files were taken or that Russia did it. Something was likely taken, and Russia likely did it. This is well beyond the certitude we were lead to believe...
      Why are you so sure about this when you know far less about about computers than I do?

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Why are you so sure about this when you know far less about about computers than I do?
        Because even in your quotes from the testimony there was clear ambiguity. BTW which page are you quoting from, I haven't found that part yet.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Right, they can't prove that files were taken or that Russia did it. Something was likely taken, and Russia likely did it. This is well beyond the certitude we were lead to believe...
          Pages 59 and 64.

Comment

Pages 59 and 64.
            From page 32:

MR. SCHIFF: lt provides in the report on 2016, April 22nd, data staged for
            exfiltration by the Fancy Bear actor'

MR.HENRY: Yes,sir.So that,again,staged for,which ,l mean, there's
            not -- the analogy I used with Mr. Stewart earlier was we don't have video of it
            happening, but there are indicators that it happened. There are times when we
            can see data exfiltrated, and we can say conclusively. But in this case, it appears
            it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it
            actually left
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

From page 32:

MR. SCHIFF: lt provides in the report on 2016, April 22nd, data staged for
              exfiltration by the Fancy Bear actor'

MR.HENRY: Yes,sir.So that,again,staged for,which ,l mean, there's
              not -- the analogy I used with Mr. Stewart earlier was we don't have video of it
              happening, but there are indicators that it happened. There are times when we
              can see data exfiltrated, and we can say conclusively. But in this case, it appears
              it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it
              actually left
              Right before that he says

MR. HENRY: counseljust reminded me that, as it relates to the DNC' wehave indicators that data was exfiltrated. we did not have concrete evidence thatdata was exfiltrated from the DNC, but we have indicators that it was exfiltrated

Again, are you actually disputing that files were taken from the DNC? Are you disputing that they were taken by the Russians? What are you actually challenging?

Comment

Even a casual perusal of the underlying testimony shows that the "article" in the OP is just so much hogwash. *THIS* is why I don't trust RWNJ news sources. *THIS* is why I insist on looking at the underlying data.

RWNJ "news" sites are *not* about reporting the news but only spin. Please don't continue to be suckers :(.

Comment

Right before that he says

MR. HENRY: counseljust reminded me that, as it relates to the DNC' wehave indicators that data was exfiltrated. we did not have concrete evidence thatdata was exfiltrated from the DNC, but we have indicators that it was exfiltrated

Again, are you actually disputing that files were taken from the DNC? Are you disputing that they were taken by the Russians? What are you actually challenging?
                  DO, what is not clear to you? It looks like someone attempted to take data but there is no evidence that it was actually accomplished:

"There are times when we can see data exfiltrated, and we can say conclusively. But in this case, it appears it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it actually left."

Comment

DO, what is not clear to you? It looks like someone attempted to take data but there is no evidence that it was actually accomplished:

"There are times when we can see data exfiltrated, and we can say conclusively. But in this case, it appears it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it actually left."
                    First, let's get this out of the way. Are you disputing that data was taken from the DNC servers? Where did the emails Wikileaks "published" come from?

Comment

First, let's get this out of the way. Are you disputing that data was taken from the DNC servers? Where did the emails Wikileaks "published" come from?
                      First, I'm only quoting Henry: But in this case, it appears it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it actually left.

Is he wrong? Misinformed? And do we even know where the Wikileaks stuff came from? Do we know it came from these servers? Or from a spear-phishing attack through Podesta's email?

Comment

First, I'm only quoting Henry: But in this case, it appears it was set up to be exfiltrated, but we just don't have the evidence that says it actually left.
                        He's saying we have circumstantial evidence that the files were taken but we don't have direct evidence. He's not saying it's just a guess.

Also, we know for certain that the files were taken because the hashes match the files which were released publicly. If you don't understand what I meant when I posted about that I'll be happy to break it down further.

Is he wrong? Misinformed?
                        No, he's speaking as a computer scientist who wants to be technically accurate in what he says.

And do we even know where the Wikileaks stuff came from? Do we know it came from these servers? Or from a spear-phishing attack through Podesta's email?
                        There were two leaks and they were both published by Wikileaks. Right? At least that's my understanding.

Comment

One thing that is rarely mentioned in these "Russia did it" articles and arguments, is the definition of "Russia".

When one talks about "China did it" they usually mean the Chinese government, because it is a quasi-communist dictatorship. The same with Cuba or Venezuela or Iran.

Russia is not the Soviet Union and (arguably) it is not a dictatorship. It has a free market and private enterprise, and its citizens enjoy a good amount of freedom; heck, they don't even have capital punishment. So when one says "Russia did it" do they mean Putin specifically, or some others in the Russian government? Or in some lower governments within the country? There are Russian companies like Gazprom that can interfere with other nations, and the Russian military nearly operates independently of the government (almost like ours does). In 2017, US investigators found a Russian bot farm in St. Petersburg that was being run by a Russian company that had a stake in the US election - independent of the Russian government.

So, I'm just saying that the "Russia did it" arguments really need to be specific. If the accusers mean Putin, then they should say "Putin", or specify some other entity in that country.

End rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            One thing that is rarely mentioned in these "Russia did it" articles and arguments, is the definition of "Russia".

When one talks about "China did it" they usually mean the Chinese government, because it is a quasi-communist dictatorship. The same with Cuba or Venezuela or Iran.

Russia is not the Soviet Union and (arguably) it is not a dictatorship. It has a free market and private enterprise, and its citizens enjoy a good amount of freedom; heck, they don't even have capital punishment. So when one says "Russia did it" do they mean Putin specifically, or some others in the Russian government? Or in some lower governments within the country? There are Russian companies like Gazprom that can interfere with other nations, and the Russian military nearly operates independently of the government (almost like ours does). In 2017, US investigators found a Russian bot farm in St. Petersburg that was being run by a Russian company that had a stake in the US election - independent of the Russian government.

So, I'm just saying that the "Russia did it" arguments really need to be specific. If the accusers mean Putin, then they should say "Putin", or specify some other entity in that country.

End rant.
                            From what I understand, though I haven't dug into it deep enough yet, is that there are supposedly docs proving Russia preferred Clinton instead because she was a known commodity, whereas Trump was an unknown. That should be interesting if that pans out. It certainly makes logical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              From what I understand, though I haven't dug into it deep enough yet, is that there are supposedly docs proving Russia preferred Clinton instead because she was a known commodity, whereas Trump was an unknown. That should be interesting if that pans out. It certainly makes logical sense.
                              "Russia" meaning ... ? All of its citizens? Putin? Some oligarch?

Your scenario above would unlikely be Putin. He hates Hillary because she tried to foment unrest in Moscow during the 2011/2012 elections there (talk about interfering in an election, and she was Secretary of State at the time). Putin denounced her publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                                "Russia" meaning ... ? All of its citizens? Putin? Some oligarch?

Your scenario above would unlikely be Putin. He hates Hillary because she tried to foment unrest in Moscow during the 2011/2012 elections there (talk about interfering in an election, and she was Secretary of State at the time). Putin denounced her publicly.

At 3:06.

Comment