Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Don't know if this has been brought up, but it appears that one of the suspects (the father) was the one who released the video that sparked all of the outrage and led to him and his son being charged with murder.

Interesting.
    No, the attorney of the third man took responsibility.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The evidence is arbery did nothing that could possibly justify any of the actions against him.
      I don't agree. I also wouldn't agree that evidence shows that actions were justified. We don't have all the facts, and unlike you, I'm not willing to jump to conclusions.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        No, the attorney of the third man took responsibility.

Source: Ahmaud Arbery shooting video was leaked by one of the suspects: report

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And that's what they said on the local news early this morning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I believe you have shared that little tidbit of wisdom in the past.
          With pride since my buddy Keith and I came up with it. From there a local radio talk show host picked it up. And back in the 90s I heard Rush Limbaugh call it that (he was on the same station as the local talk show -- followed immediately afterwards).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No evidence whatsoever that he went in the house to drink - that was speculation on the owner's part.
            Speculation yes, but speculation based on the video evidence of Arbery location at the site.

I don't believe anybody claimed there was.
            No, you defenders of the murderers are just implying that Arbery's intent was probably to commit a crime.

Did you actually READ the article, Jim?
            Which article? I've read many articles.

Let me know when you've actually read the article, mkay?
            Okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Source: Ahmaud Arbery shooting video was leaked by one of the suspects: report

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And that's what they said on the local news early this morning.
              "The video shows McMichael standing in the back of a pickup truck as his son, Greg, confronts and opens fire on the jogger with a shotgun."

That's not what the video shows at all.

Why did they leave out the whole part about Arbery attacking Greg and trying to wrestle the shotgun away from him? The sentence also makes it sound like Arbery was the one with the shotgun.

Comment

I think one of the reasons it's hard to pinpoint the facts in this case is because the reports seem to evolve over time. (As I have often said, "the first reports from the field are always wrong".)

According to News4Jax.... [bolding mine]

So, some of the information is coming from Graddy, the property owner's neighbor...
                The only facts you need are facts that are already obvious. The guy went into the site, looked around, and left, just like many others have done, including yourself and wife, CP, and was tracked down, avoided the pursuers twice until the third time when they confronted him with guns and a scuffle broke out where he was shot and killed. Now, do you see anything wrong with that picture with respect to the killers.
                And no, he didn't live 10 miles away as you asserted, he lived with his mom, two and a half miles away. Nor was it at night, it was in broad daylight at 1 PM. And the law does not allow for armed men to form a posse and track down a suspect. Also, as to MM's argument that it was an accidntal shooting due to the struggle, you don't shoot someone with a shotgun 3 times by accident.
                Last edited by JimL; 05-16-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The only facts you need are facts that are already obvious.....
                  I'm gonna cut you off right there, because this is what you do --- the facts that "are already obvious" are the ones that fit your narrative. You blatantly ignore other facts that complicate the situation.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I don't agree. I also wouldn't agree that evidence shows that actions were justified. We don't have all the facts, and unlike you, I'm not willing to jump to conclusions.
                    Actually, you are and have been. There is no evidence that has been made public that shows he did anything to deserve being chased down. Is that more to your liking? Either way, you have focused on what arbery might have done wrong. That is jumping to w conclusion
                    Likewiee, you have only made many allowances for what might make the white dudes less guilty and focused on what might cast aspersions on arbery. And that is nothing more that the voice of racism as it sits insidiously under the covers in our time. Unfortunately at least one of the sources you typically listen to is overtly racist (breitbart) and so the information you echo is often coming from a racist point of view, even if you yourself are not racist. And that has also colored your content in this thread.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-16-2020, 05:57 PM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      The only facts you need are facts that are already obvious. The guy went into the site, looked around, and left, just like many others have done, including yourself and wife, CP, and was tracked down, avoided the pursuers twice until the third time when they confronted him with guns and a scuffle broke out where he was shot and killed. Now, do you see anything wrong with that picture with respect to the killers.
                      And no, he didn't live 10 miles away as you asserted, he lived with his mom, two and a half miles away. Nor was it at night, it was in broad daylight at 1 PM. And the law does not allow for armed men to form a posse and track down a suspect. Also, as to MM's argument that it was an accidntal shooting due to the struggle, you don't shoot someone with a shotgun 3 times by accident.
                      Indeed, two shots are clearly heard in the video, and we dont see any punches thrown till after the first shot was fired.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"The video shows McMichael standing in the back of a pickup truck as his son, Greg, confronts and opens fire on the jogger with a shotgun."

That's not what the video shows at all.

Why did they leave out the whole part about Arbery attacking Greg and trying to wrestle the shotgun away from him? The sentence also makes it sound like Arbery was the one with the shotgun.
                        Again, you ignore the fact these men created the confrontation, and you are demanding arbery do nothing to defend himself. Whether it was the smartest way to defend himself is irrelavent. If you draw a gun on soneone with no cause, you need to expect they will try to survive. If you draw a gun on someone you are the aggressor, you put them in mortal danger, and the actions by the party you have put in mortal danger are self-defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Also, as to MM's argument that it was an accidntal shooting due to the struggle, you don't shoot someone with a shotgun 3 times by accident.
                          Come on, Jimmy, I never said that it was an accidental shooting. I only suggested it as a possibility. We don't know if it was or wasn't because we don't yet have all the facts.

Comment

Actually, you are and have been. There is no evidence that has been made public that shows he did anything to deserve being chased down. Is that more to your liking? Either way, you have focused on what arbery might have done wrong. That is jumping to w conclusion
                            Likewiee, you have only made many allowances for what might make the white dudes less guilty and focused on what might cast aspersions on arbery. And that is nothing more that the voice of racism as it sits insidiously under the covers in our time. Unfortunately at least one of the sources you typically listen to is overtly racist (breitbart) and so the information you echo is often coming from a racist point of view, even if you yourself are not racist. And that has also colored your content in this thread.
                            You're a nasty piece of work, you know that? So now everybody who doesn't immediately jump to the conclusion that the white guys are guilty of cold blooded murder is an undercover racist? I would like to say you're better than that, but I really don't think you are.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-16-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Again, you ignore the fact these men created the confrontation, and you are demanding arbery do nothing to defend himself. Whether it was the smartest way to defend himself is irrelavent. If you draw a gun on soneone with no cause, you need to expect they will try to survive. If you draw a gun on someone you are the aggressor, you put them in mortal danger, and the actions by the party you have put in mortal danger are self-defense.
                              Let's assume that Arbery was intentionally shot and that it wasn't an accidental discharge caused by the struggle. Here's what the trial is going to come down to: Precisely when was the decision made to pull the trigger? That's going to be the key question. Was it before Arbery attacked, or was it after? If it was after, then it could very easily be ruled a matter of self-defense like we saw with the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case. The two incidents are very similar in that a situation was created in which a male apparently felt threatened and tried to gain the upper hand by wrestling a gun away from the man confronting him. You can argue that they had no business confronting him while armed, but as far as I know, their actions up to that point did not break any laws, so from a purely legal standpoint, it's irrelevant.

Comment

Let's assume that Arbery was intentionally shot and that it wasn't an accidental discharge caused by the struggle. Here's what the trial is going to come down to: Precisely when was the decision made to pull the trigger? That's going to be the key question. Was it before Arbery attacked, or was it after? If it was after, then it could very easily be ruled a matter of self-defense like we saw with the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case. The two incidents are very similar in that a situation was created in which a male apparently felt threatened and tried to gain the upper hand by wrestling a gun away from the man confronting him. You can argue that they had no business confronting him while armed, but as far as I know, their actions up to that point did not break any laws, so from a purely legal standpoint, it's irrelevant.
                                No, they were threatening him, they were trying to stop him. They were the aggressors, he was defending himself. He was no threat to them. And had they not put themselves in his way, armed, ge would not be dead, and they would not be in jail. There is nothing here that is in their favor, and if this had been a white young man killed under these circumstances there would be no debate as to who was wrong and who broke the law. Everything about this is driven by racism.

Comment