Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    EGGzackly!!!! If Trayvon had been killed by a black guy, nobody - including you - would even give a flip.
    Again, that's just dumb. If the kid had been white, it most likely would never have happened. Racism is the point, CP.

Well, cept for the fact that he was Hispanic. It was only in the news because they ASSUMED he was white.
    What color was he, CP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It could simply have been really bad judgment, Jim.
      However this case might turn out I don't think I could ever view what happened as an merely an accident based on bad judgement.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
        Are you really confused about the concept of a "victimless crime"? You never go even 1 mph over the speed limit?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          However this case might turn out I don't think I could ever view what happened as an merely an accident based on bad judgement.
          At the same time, I have seen nothing to suggest that it was racially motivated.

Comment

• Considering that he might have lived a lot closer than the "10 miles" than Mountain Man has thrown out there, it does appear a lot more likely that he was simply jogging. I don't understand what he was doing at that construction site, but without a recording, witness testimony, or any hard evidence to confirm that he was stealing anything, I don't think anything can be established with that.

I do believe that the McMichaels thought he was a thief. In that police record, I linked to earlier, where it was also established by the testimony of the McMichaels that they were chasing him, cutting him off several times with their van, that the younger McMichael had lost a gun recently and thought it was stolen.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              That's just dumb. He was called white, because that's the color of his skin as opposed to Trayvon Martin who was obviously black.
              Nobody had ever heard the term "white Hispanic" until the media invented it to describe George Zimmerman. Have you ever filled out a job application or similar form? "White" and "Hispanic" are usually regarded as mutually exclusive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                You're a bald-faced liar. I never said "Arbery must have been up to no good".
                Oh, but you did insinuate just that, MM. Should I pull that quote of yours up again for you?

Comment

At the same time, I have seen nothing to suggest that it was racially motivated.
                  I've been mostly focused on the vigilante act and the ridiculously 76-day long delay in getting the case processed. You can only blame friendly relationships with the guy and COVID-19 for so long. Beyond that, I think there might be issues of racism. But it isn't straightforward, it will all boil down to why the McMichaels thought that Arbery was a robber.

For instance if it came out that there had been plenty of people at that construction site, with Arbery being one of if not the only black guy there, and they singled him out, then I think that's a pretty cut and dry case of racism. But I think I can hold off until the trial for that sort of information.

Mostly I've just focused on the vigilantes.

Comment

Nobody had ever heard the term "white Hispanic" until the media invented it to describe George Zimmerman. Have you ever filled out a job application or similar form? "White" and "Hispanic" are usually regarded as mutually exclusive.
                    ...in the US you fill in your race on application forms? Why? Is this for real?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      HuffPo has an article about criticism of CNN for their use of "white Hispanic" noting that there has been push back from the Hispanic community noting that "rightwingers at Breitbart aren't the only ones irritated with the term."

The fact that Zimmerman had the same color skin that those who are typically called Hispanic or Latino have with out the addition of the "white" descriptor attached was brought up a great deal back when the Trayvon Martin was shot.

It was painfully obvious it was used here by the MSM in order to stoke animosity. Bluntly, a Hispanic shooting a black person didn't fit into the agenda they wanted to push hence the addition of "white" into his description.
                      Ah, that's because he was white. Would you be complaining if they left out the Hispanic part and just called him a white male. Then you'd probably be clamoring that he wasn't white, he was Hispanic.

Comment

Considering that he might have lived a lot closer than the "10 miles" than Mountain Man has thrown out there...
                        Please, I didn't just "throw it out there". Early reports said that Arbery was ten miles from where he lived. New information now says that while his home is indeed ten miles away, he may have been visiting his mother who apparently lived closer. So, yes, that certainly makes it more plausible that he was simply out for a jog on the day in question, but it doesn't explain why he repeatedly visited the construction site, multiple times at night, nor why he was trespassing on that particular day. And lets be clear: every indication is that it was his actions -- the fact that he was observed trespassing -- that attracted the McMichaels' attention and not the color of his skin. Sorry, but I refuse to jump on the "jogging while black" narrative.

Comment

Fact is, he was a white Hispanic. It isn't only Americans that are racists you know, there is racism in the Hispanic community as well. They didn't need to add Hispanic, but so what. Fact is he was white man stalking a black kid.

Comment

...in the US you fill in your race on application forms? Why? Is this for real?
                            Affirmative action and anti-discrimination laws. Basically, it's so that companies can make sure they're meeting their minority hiring quota, although a lot of applications these days give you the option to not answer.

Comment

Oh, but you did insinuate just that, MM.
                              No I didn't. I have no idea what Arbery was up to, whether it was good or no good. We can only say what he did, not why he did it.

Comment

Fact is, he was a white Hispanic. It isn't only Americans that are racists you know, there is racism in the Hispanic community as well. They didn't need to add Hispanic, but so what. Fact is he was white man stalking a black kid.
                                You're a useful dupe for the liberal cause.

Comment