Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Why do you think that was?
    Evidence available was incomplete and flawed. Views changed when evidence available changed. Why the initial information was flawed can only be the subject of speculation.

So - let's see what the consensus is on another matter.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I was thinking more of the reaction to blacks killing whites.

Why do you think that was?

Given that the left in this country will call virtually any killing of a black man by a white person a racially motivated hate crime, the general reaction when they do so is to doubt it. Sort of how we treat posts by you, we assume they are going to be a derail until proven otherwise.

Comment

You made an assumption and of course you have no idea if my German heritage is from both sides!
        The assumption is reasonable. Your pattern of posting leads to the conclusion that, had you been not white, you would have trumpeted not being white long since.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Evidence available was incomplete and flawed. Views changed when evidence available changed.
          Yet despite the evidence being "incomplete and flawed" some of the initial responses were that he was far from innocent. That is indicative of a mind-set.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Yet despite the evidence being "incomplete and flawed" some of the initial responses were that he was far from innocent. That is indicative of a mind-set.
            Hardly - there would need to be good and valid reason to question the initial evidence before "indicative of mind-set" could be asserted.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Well, since no one shot any "protestors," it's not a valid comparison.
              If you are on the left setting a building on fire after you stole everything inside not nailed down, is defined as "mostly peaceful protest."

If you are on the right calmly walking between the velvet guide ropes can get you jail time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hardly - there would need to be good and valid reason to question the initial evidence before "indicative of mind-set" could be asserted.
                Why the immediate assumption among some posters that he was culpable?

We have even seen it inferred re George Floyd that he indirectly brought his death upon himself. To wit, if he had not tried to buy cigarettes with what was believed to be counterfeit money he would never have been arrested and then murdered.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

People tend to form hypotheses which are based on their experiences (real or imagined), and which may be incorrect. That is the normal course. Many people will test those hypotheses against facts as they become available. Hypotheses formed on the basis of expectation. Those who considered him culpable early in the piece cannot be criticised unless they continued to assert those opinions as fact once the real story became known.

We have even seen it inferred re George Floyd that he indirectly brought his death upon himself. To wit, if he had not tried to buy cigarettes with what was believed to be counterfeit money he would never have been arrested and then murdered.
                  The only posts I remember including such comments were made in response to assertions that another person was regarded as "bringing it upon himself" - and as a matter of underscoring the inanity of such comments about that other person. True - I do not pay full attention to every post, so I may have missed something.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Because of the evidence available at that time.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    We...
                    Who?

have even seen it inferred re George Floyd that he indirectly brought his death upon himself. To wit, if he had not tried to buy cigarettes with what was believed to be counterfeit money he would never have been arrested and then murdered.
                    Funny coming from the clown who repeatedly insisted that if Rittenhouse had stayed home none of what happened would taken place.

And that was offered to show just how insipidly vacuous your little remark was. Funny how you can spot that it isn't a valid argument wrt Floyd but continue to bring it up wrt to Rittenhouse. Not very bright are you?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

People tend to form hypotheses which are based on their experiences (real or imagined), and which may be incorrect.
                      My point.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Because of the evidence available at that time.
                        Yup.

Funny coming from the clown who repeatedly insisted that if Rittenhouse had stayed home none of what happened would taken place.
                        Could have been much worse - if they hadn't been stopped, they might have created real victims.

And that was offered to show just how insipidly vacuous your little remark was. Funny how you can spot that it isn't a valid argument wrt Floyd but continue to bring it up wrt to Rittenhouse. Not very bright are you?
                        I had that impression, but I couldn't be sure that I hadn't missed something.

My point.
                        The point seems to be that you will take a single piece of a comment out of context and portray it in the light that suits your purpose.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The point seems to be that you will take a single piece of a comment out of context and portray it in the light that suits your purpose.
                          My point being that among the initial responses on this thread to the death of Arbery, despite, as you have noted, the initial available evidence being "incomplete and flawed" was an assumption that he was engaged in nefarious behaviour.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My point being that among the initial responses on this thread to the death of Arbery, despite, as you have noted, the initial available evidence being "incomplete and flawed" was an assumption that he was engaged in nefarious behaviour.
                            He had been, quite a bit, prior, but that doesn't justify the way he died. Been saying that all along.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

FWIU, there was a good deal of evidence that he did engage in nefarious behavior, but that is irrelevant to the charges since, for one thing, the McMichaels and Bryan could not have known it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                FWIU, there was a good deal of evidence that he did engage in nefarious behavior, but that is irrelevant to the charges since, for one thing, the McMichaels and Bryan could not have known it.
                                He had a number of run-ins with the local law enforcement, much of it was on video. THEY knew him, but I don't think that his killers ever knew of or made that connection.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment