Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden's #metoo moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You obviously didn't read the article, because all of this addressed. Whether or not she used the term "sexual harassment" in her complaint is irrelevant because what she describes is clearly a case of sexual harassment.

We also know that Biden dispatched his own operatives to scrub the records under lock and key at the University of Delaware, so if that's where the complaint was stored, it's a safe bet that it will never see the light of day now.
    We "know" nothing of the kind. We know that Biden's team went to access the records. Fox' News article then speculates that it was for the purpose of "scrubbing" without one iota of proof or offered shred of evidence. For all they know, Biden and his team went to check to see what the records show to prepare public statements/defenses. Fox (and Breitbart) do this kind of thing regularly - offering undefended speculation that matches their partisan leaning without evidence - which those who cite them then turn into "knowledge" and "proof."

And yes - I read the article you offered. The things I cited are not "addressed." They are speculated about and/or asserted without proof.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      • Breitbart cannot know what is in the complaint because it has not been released.
      • Biden has publicly requested the Senate to locate and release the report and has been turned down by the Senate (which is currently in Republican hands).
      • Reade has herself noted she did not specify an accusation of "sexual harassment" in her complaint (I have seen various reasons for this - so not sure which one is correct).

We have a he said/she said situation: she claims - he denies. That there are people she apparently told about this in the past strengthens her claim. That there is no history of this sort of behavior in Biden's record strengthens his. The best we are going to be able to do is make a reasonable guess on the basis the the available information.

And building this entire thing up to be so huge in the face of the 25 different women who accused Trump of much the same thing (to varying degrees) is more than a little hypocritical.
      MeToo and the criteria of "believe all women" wasn't started by Trump supporters. "Building this entire thing up" is to amplify the hypocrisy and phoniness of those who started the movement. And I'm guessing most Trump supporters WANT Biden to be the candidate. I'm torn about it myself. Though I believe Trump would easily beat Biden once they engage in debates and the world sees the marshmallow brain that Biden has, I also believe it would be a national embarrassment to our country it that were to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        MeToo and the criteria of "believe all women" wasn't started by Trump supporters. "Building this entire thing up" is to amplify the hypocrisy and phoniness of those who started the movement. And I'm guessing most Trump supporters WANT Biden to be the candidate. I'm torn about it myself. Though I believe Trump would easily beat Biden once they engage in debates and the world sees the marshmallow brain that Biden has, I also believe it would be a national embarrassment to our country it that were to happen.
        95819003_1955978214545865_8989721074308481024_n.jpg
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

We know that Biden's team went to access the records.
          And what do you suppose their purpose was? And what do you think they would have done with a copy of the complaint if it was found? Stop using your thinking cap for a chamber pot.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Believe all women? When did THAT movement start? I'm unaware of it.

The movement I have been proxy to is one that says "automatically dismissing any woman who makes such a claim is no longer acceptable." Even Reade deserves to be heard and deserves to speak and be taken seriously. And these woman deserve to NOT be attacked for coming forward.

But the situation will always be a he said/she said situation. Few people are going to engage in this behavior where they can be seen and where the behavior can be witnessed and documented. So it will always be her word and against his (or his against his or her's against her's). Where we see adequate evidence, especially a demonstrable pattern, the person in question needs to be shown the door, IMO. We saw that pattern (and evidence) with Weinstein, Clinton, O'Reilly, Ailes, Trump, and many, many more. That pattern and evidence is missing with Biden, AFAICT. All that the right-wing media is putting forward is Biden's history of being publicly affectionate with people, or "handsy." Personally, I regret that we are now in a world where, if I hug a child in the schools where I guest teach, I am suspect. Biden is from an age where that kind of personal contact was commonplace and he never made the adjustment. He's acknowledged that and has significantly changed that behavior.

As for the rest - pure speculation. I realize the right needs to put forward the "Biden brain mush" narrative, but all I see is the same imprecise, prone to speak before he thinks and therefore prone to gaffs, Biden that I have always experienced. As for being embarrassed - I cannot think of any candidate that has run for the presidency that would be capable of embarassing me more than Mr. Trump. It is the primary reason why, for the first time in my 62 years, I will not acknowledge this man as "my president." I want no confusion on the fact that I reject pretty much everything this man stands for - and publicly defends: bullying, name-calling, vengeance-seeking, lying, mysogyny, racism, and all the rest.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And what do you suppose their purpose was?
              I don't "suppose." I know they went, and that's all I know. Anything else is pure speculation. It could be to scrub - and it could just as easily be to research and prepare for a response.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And what do you think they would have done with a copy of the complaint if it was found?
              I don't speculate. When I speculate, usually all I do is affirm my pre-existing biases, as you are clearly doing here. If Biden is the ethical man I believe him to be, the complaint would be left right where it was. If Biden or someone on his staff is not the ethical people I believe them to be, the complaint might have been taken. Which is the reality is unknown.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Stop using your thinking cap for a chamber pot.

Comment

Do you wish to give the impression that both you and your wife are illiterate?

The lie Dr. Fraud told is she claimed a second door was added to her home because she wanted more than one escape route from her house (does her house lack a back door?), but "documents reveal the door ... has been used by renters and even a marriage counseling business".
                How, specifically, does that show she lied about her initial motivation and didn't later simply decide to make different use of their house addition?

The initial (irrational) motivation could have been one thing and then later on they decided to use that space differently. Maybe she realized she was being irrational. Maybe the counseling session helped.

Print this post out and when I apply *different* standard to Tara Reade's claims call me on it.

Dr. Fraud also implied that she and her husband sought therapy when they disagreed over adding the second door when, in fact, the house renovations were completed several years prior to the couple entering therapy.
                Here is her actual testimony.

had completed a very extensive, very long remodel

She is implying no such thing. She directly stated that the remodel was completed before the counseling, and that the remodel had been very "extensive" and "long." So clearly the plans had been drawn up quite a long time in advance of the counseling sessions.

Even more curious is the fact that their counselor was renting the private residence accessed by the second door.
                Bolded section is false. Now who's illiterate, foo? Here's a quote from your source.

Thanks for playing.
                Last edited by DivineOb; 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I don't "suppose." I know they went, and that's all I know. Anything else is pure speculation.
                  Let's be reasonable, shall we? I really doubt Biden sent his operatives to find evidence that he was guilty of the accusations, or that his operatives would be forthcoming with such evidence if it was found.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                    How, specifically, does that show she lied about her initial motivation and didn't later simply decide to make different use of their house addition?
                    Because every indication is that the intended purpose of the door was as a private entrance to the rental space. Records show that's all it was ever used for. Dr. Fraud's story simply doesn't add up.

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                    had completed a very extensive, very long remodel
                    Yep. This was four-years after the remodel despite the fact that her testimony implies that the counseling was an immediate result of a disagreement over the second door that was added to give private access to tenants.

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                    Here's a quote from your source.
                    Hmmm... according to another article, she would neither confirm nor deny it, which is usually how someone responds when they would rather not say something that could implicate them. I wonder why she changed her answer?

This the biggest problem with Christine Fraud's claims, the string of inconsistencies, contradictions, and lies.

Comment

Let's be reasonable, shall we? I really doubt Biden sent his operatives to find evidence that he was guilty of the accusations, or that his operatives would be forthcoming with such evidence if it was found.
                      What you call "reasonable" I call "your bias is showing."

Last word to you.

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

Believe all women? When did THAT movement start? I'm unaware of it.

The movement I have been proxy to is one that says "automatically dismissing any woman who makes such a claim is no longer acceptable." Even Reade deserves to be heard and deserves to speak and be taken seriously. And these woman deserve to NOT be attacked for coming forward.

But the situation will always be a he said/she said situation. Few people are going to engage in this behavior where they can be seen and where the behavior can be witnessed and documented. So it will always be her word and against his (or his against his or her's against her's). Where we see adequate evidence, especially a demonstrable pattern, the person in question needs to be shown the door, IMO. We saw that pattern (and evidence) with Weinstein, Clinton, O'Reilly, Ailes, Trump, and many, many more. That pattern and evidence is missing with Biden, AFAICT. All that the right-wing media is putting forward is Biden's history of being publicly affectionate with people, or "handsy." Personally, I regret that we are now in a world where, if I hug a child in the schools where I guest teach, I am suspect. Biden is from an age where that kind of personal contact was commonplace and he never made the adjustment. He's acknowledged that and has significantly changed that behavior.

As for the rest - pure speculation. I realize the right needs to put forward the "Biden brain mush" narrative, but all I see is the same imprecise, prone to speak before he thinks and therefore prone to gaffs, Biden that I have always experienced. As for being embarrassed - I cannot think of any candidate that has run for the presidency that would be capable of embarassing me more than Mr. Trump. It is the primary reason why, for the first time in my 62 years, I will not acknowledge this man as "my president." I want no confusion on the fact that I reject pretty much everything this man stands for - and publicly defends: bullying, name-calling, vengeance-seeking, lying, mysogyny, racism, and all the rest.
                          Don't try and act like Biden isn't in cognitive decline. It isn't "speculation," it's not a rightwing narrative, and even the progressives are pointing it out, you schmuck. If you're going to engage me in discussion at least be honest, carp.

Comment

Don't try and act like Biden isn't in cognitive decline. It isn't "speculation," it's not a rightwing narrative, and even the progressives are pointing it out, you schmuck. If you're going to engage me in discussion at least be honest, carp.
                            Oh I'm aware some on the far-left and some of the "rank and file Democrats" have taken up the same narrative. That doesn't make it true. Personally, I see the same Biden I have always seen. I just see a new narrative jumping on his every verbal misstep as evidence of "cognitive decline."

I'm not buying the narrative. And I think the "rank and file" and "far left" will eventually realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot. Failure to get behind Biden will essentially translate to putting Trump back in office. There are a lot of us who don't want that to happen.

Comment

Oh I'm aware some on the far-left and some of the "rank and file Democrats" have taken up the same narrative. That doesn't make it true. Personally, I see the same Biden I have always seen. I just see a new narrative jumping on his every verbal misstep as evidence of "cognitive decline."

I'm not buying the narrative. And I think the "rank and file" and "far left" will eventually realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot. Failure to get behind Biden will essentially translate to putting Trump back in office. There are a lot of us who don't want that to happen.
                              If Biden debates Trump, Trump will win hands down, but the nation will lose because of the embarrassment of the left trying to prop up not only a invalid, but a rapist. I lean more towards the hope he steps down for that reason. Then I would imagine he'll be scorned by the phony left, more than he is now, once they no longer have political use for him.

Comment

If Biden debates Trump, Trump will win hands down, but the nation will lose because of the embarrassment of the left trying to prop up not only a invalid, but a rapist.
                                I know Trump is a raving megalomaniac, Sean, but I wouldn't call him an invalid...

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                I lean more towards the hope he steps down for that reason. Then I would imagine he'll be scorned by the phony left, more than he is now, once they no longer have political use for him.
                                We'll see...

Comment