Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kim Jong-un

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Maybe he wants to hike the Tallahassee trail...
    . . . more likely walk, ah . . . run the Great Wall.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      I'll defer to the ever reliable Bill Palmer.
      Also, I am reminded of stretches of silence when the same happened in the Soviet Union. IIRC, those silent moments and lack of refutation were a sign of a power vacuum and a certain degree of chaos.

Comment

Memes about Kim Yo Jong are going crazy on social media.

Comment

It would make the left happy if Kim Yo Jong took over. They were all googly eyed over her during the Olympics when she supposedly upstaged Vice President Pence.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            It would make the left happy if Kim Yo Jong took over. They were all googly eyed over her during the Olympics when she supposedly upstaged Vice President Pence.
            But if she greeted Trump and they smiled at each other, she would be just as quickly be villainized by the same group.

Comment

All true but to repeat myself from a few posts ago, I think North Korea is too sexist to allow her to have power. I think we might be looking at the end of the Kim dynasty and maybe they're so silent because they're still fighting over who the next leader will be.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                All true but to repeat myself from a few posts ago, I think North Korea is too sexist to allow her to have power. I think we might be looking at the end of the Kim dynasty and maybe they're so silent because they're still fighting over who the next leader will be.
                I don't know about that. She was carrying some pretty hefty weight and power even before Kim "disappeared," at least according to sources I've read. I would think that if she's as ruthless as Kim, they'd want her there in that position, hopefully to mislead their opponents into thinking she's nicer than Kim to take advantage of them. Which is all the more reason to fear her rise to power, since she may be under pressure to act even more ruthless to show she's not weak just because she's a woman. In fact, that's the fear of any country run by a woman; they may feel the need to be even more aggressive than their male counterparts to be seen as equal (I know that sounds sexist and I'm in no way saying women shouldn't be in positions of power and authority).

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  I don't know about that. She was carrying some pretty hefty weight and power even before Kim "disappeared," at least according to sources I've read. I would think that if she's as ruthless as Kim, they'd want her there in that position, hopefully to mislead their opponents into thinking she's nicer than Kim to take advantage of them. Which is all the more reason to fear her rise to power, since she may be under pressure to act even more ruthless to show she's not weak just because she's a woman. In fact, that's the fear of any country run by a woman; they may feel the need to be even more aggressive than their male counterparts to be seen as equal (I know that sounds sexist and I'm in no way saying women shouldn't be in positions of power and authority).
                  The question is, was she powerful only because she was Kim's proxy or because she wielded power in her own right?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Memes about Kim Yo Jong are going crazy on social media.

I felt sad for Azula.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I think he is somehow incapacitated.

Maybe whoever takes over if he dies will have the sense to dissolve the NK regime and reunite with South Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Actually, I am pointing out that Trump's attempts to negotiate with N.K. were pretty much as non-productive as all previous presidents, none of whom gave N.K. the "honor" of face time with a U.S. president.
                        Let's see... off the top of my head North Korea has stopped testing nukes. For awhile they even stopped testing missiles something they didn't even pretend to do for previous presidents. In any case they seemed to stop launching them toward Guam. FWIU there was a very sharp decrease in anti-American propaganda inside North Korea after their meeting (although that could have picked back up since then). The bodies of a number of American soldiers have been returned -- something they wouldn't even discuss previously. And IIRC the leader of South Korea heaped a good deal of praise on Trump after his meeting with Kim Jong Um saying it significantly eased tensions between their two countries.

So while it serves your narrative to pretend that nothing whatsoever changed, the facts, as usual, just are not on your side.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I think he is somehow incapacitated.

Maybe whoever takes over if he dies will have the sense to dissolve the NK regime and reunite with South Korea.
                          His sister, who the MSM went gaga over during the Olympics, will likely take over. She's basically the only "heir" he didn't have killed.

One rumor is that he had surgery to have some stints put in and the doctor, who knew if anything went wrong his entire family would suffer horribly, was so nervous that he botched it. If true that would be pretty ironic. He spent so much time consolidating power and making everyone scared to death of him and that might be the very thing responsible for doing him in.

Another prominent rumor is that he's got the Chicom coronavirus.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can't remember who it was but someone back then was proclaiming just how progressive North Korea was for having a woman in line for being their next dictator unlike the benighted, backward U.S. (who had their chance to have a female dictator but the ignorant rube voters blew it )

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              His sister, who the MSM went gaga over during the Olympics, will likely take over. She's basically the only "heir" he didn't have killed.

One rumor is that he had surgery to have some stints put in and the doctor, who knew if anything went wrong his entire family would suffer horribly, was so nervous that he botched it. If true that would be pretty ironic. He spent so much time consolidating power and making everyone scared to death of him and that might be the very thing responsible for doing him in.

Another prominent rumor is that he's got the Chicom coronavirus.
                              You'd think he'd go to another country, like China, for surgery. But perhaps he was more afraid of COVID.

Comment

Let's see... off the top of my head North Korea has stopped testing nukes.
                                NK has had gaps in testing in the past of 3 years (2006-2009, and 2013-2016) and 4 years (2009-2013). Then they went into a spate of tests from early 2016 through 2017. We are now less than 3 years into another hiatus. I'm not sure how that makes what Trump did an "accomplishment" any different from the previous incidents.

For awhile they even stopped testing missiles something they didn't even pretend to do for previous presidents. In any case they seemed to stop launching them toward Guam.
                                Again, gaps in missile testing are not unprecedented and this one didn't even set records. As soon as KJU saw he wasn't getting what he wanted, they started up again. Meanwhile, KJU got one of the things he very much wanted: initially complete cessation of, and now significantly scaled back, military exercises with South Korea. And what did Trump get? Pretty much nothing.

FWIU there was a very sharp decrease in anti-American propaganda inside North Korea after their meeting (although that could have picked back up since then).
                                Documentation of this claim, please?

The bodies of a number of American soldiers have been returned -- something they wouldn't even discuss previously.
                                Rogue - about 50 boxes of remains were returned of the 5,300 missing. As much as I respect the military, we are talking about a fraction of the problem about six decades too late. This was a political stunt - not much more. I'm glad some families experienced closure, but it pales in practical significance to the possession and use of nuclear weapons.

And IIRC the leader of South Korea heaped a good deal of praise on Trump after his meeting with Kim Jong Um saying it significantly eased tensions between their two countries.
                                And any comment about people "praising" Mr. Trump is suspect from the outset. Mr. Trump has created an atmosphere of hostility in which anyone who does not bow and praise and compliment is subject to his wrath and his vindictiveness. SO we see a lot of bowing and scraping, and diplomats will always put things in the best light they can manage. Not much of an argument here.

So while it serves your narrative to pretend that nothing whatsoever changed, the facts, as usual, just are not on your side.
                                Unfortunately, your response/rebuttal is not all that convincing. It ignores a lot of practical/historical realities.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment