Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Half of all cases happening in care homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    That is one possibility. Another possibility is that I take the Bible, and the words of our Savior seriously.

Does that mean I am not invited to canada?

What do you do for the nursing homes in your area, simp?

And no, you are not invited to Canada.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      every one I have ever visited was horrible.
      How so? Is human life "horrible", or just the last nine months?
      Nursing homes are all filled with people at the end of their life, and those dedicated to their care. The label of "horrible" is as much a commentary on how human frailty is viewed.
      The fact is that in the US there are many excellent nursing homes that do not seem terrible, except those are for the elites of society.
      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      No, the horribleness (is that a word?) was from the way the people are being treated. Most nursing homes are understaffed, have a low budget, and staffed with people who don't seem to care about the patients. It's probably the lowest rung on the healthcare ladder. If you are any good, you would be working somewhere else. And that shows. I have had family members in nursing homes.

Now I am not saying that there are NO people working there that care for patients and do a good job. I am sure there are, and probably some good nursing homes out there, but by and large, they are not someplace you want to end up, or loved ones. We put our mother in one when she had lung cancer on the advice of a doctor. After only a few days, we took her back out and my brother took her in and hired home nurses and hospice. My brother's father-in-law had a stroke and their family could not care for him and there wasn't any home healthcare avaliable there so he had to go to a nursing home. They took such poor care of him that he lost a leg because they didn't catch an infection in time. He eventually died there.
      several of our nursing homes are "horrible". The stench of urine and feces is in the air, the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.

One Christians disparages the workers who work with our elderly, the most powerless of our society, and as someone noted, are too problematic to deal with at home. So they end up in nursing homes. And another feels the need to top that post. People have dignity, even nursing home workers who clean up and care for the most difficult.

The nursing home workers have dignity, perhaps a special dignity, because they work with the most difficult patients. The "best" nursing homes filter out who they take care of, the least problematic ones. The ones who take all comers, like the community hospitals, end up with the hardest patients. Those who are on "the lowest rung of the health care ladder" are dealing with life as it is. Life as G-d designed it.

Pro life is anti abortion, and churches can mobilize people to advocate and agitate for the first nine months. But other than the "feel good" ministries to those residents, there is little outreach to the workers, who are working poor. I am quite sure Cowpoke is not forthright about how he feels about those workers whose quality is so low as to suggest that they are the cheapest which can be gotten, he is there to assist.

But at the far end of life, the end closest to heaven, when they are problematic, whose incontinence produces such horrible results? Human life has dignity, even at the end of life when they are not cute as they are at the beginning of life.

Do pro life churches encourage members to choose a career serving people at the end of life? Sure doesn't sound like it. Wiping and changing patients? eeeeeewwwww. If the workers were any good, they'd have a job elsewhere. Nothing says thanks for caring for and serving those in need than to note their low quality

Look at what the Lord has wrought: incontinent burdens. Look at how these pro life Christians disparage those who serve those most in need, the burdensome incontinent.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        What do you do for the nursing homes in your area, simp?

And no, you are not invited to Canada.
        What do I do for nursing homes in my area? Not nearly enough, and I know that I will be judged on that when I stand on judgement day.

Comment

several of our nursing homes are "horrible". The stench of urine and feces is in the air, the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.

One Christians disparages the workers who work with our elderly, the most powerless of our society, and as someone noted, are too problematic to deal with at home. So they end up in nursing homes. And another feels the need to top that post. People have dignity, even nursing home workers who clean up and care for the most difficult.

The nursing home workers have dignity, perhaps a special dignity, because they work with the most difficult patients. The "best" nursing homes filter out who they take care of, the least problematic ones. The ones who take all comers, like the community hospitals, end up with the hardest patients. Those who are on "the lowest rung of the health care ladder" are dealing with life as it is. Life as G-d designed it.

Pro life is anti abortion, and churches can mobilize people to advocate and agitate for the first nine months. But other than the "feel good" ministries to those residents, there is little outreach to the workers, who are working poor. I am quite sure Cowpoke is not forthright about how he feels about those workers whose quality is so low as to suggest that they are the cheapest which can be gotten, he is there to assist.

But at the far end of life, the end closest to heaven, when they are problematic, whose incontinence produces such horrible results? Human life has dignity, even at the end of life when they are not cute as they are at the beginning of life.

Do pro life churches encourage members to choose a career serving people at the end of life? Sure doesn't sound like it. Wiping and changing patients? eeeeeewwwww. If the workers were any good, they'd have a job elsewhere. Nothing says thanks for caring for and serving those in need than to note their low quality

Look at what the Lord has wrought: incontinent burdens. Look at how these pro life Christians disparage those who serve those most in need, the burdensome incontinent.
          You're really trying your hardest to paint Cow Poke's and Sparko's posts in the most uncharitable and unreasonable way possible, aren't you? What a miserable person you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            You're really trying your hardest to paint Cow Poke's and Sparko's posts in the most uncharitable and unreasonable way possible, aren't you? What a miserable person you are.
            Perhaps you could summarize their opinion of nursing home workers?

My point is that
            both the patients who depend on the workers and the workers themselves have dignity

The main reason those homes are horrible is that they take in the class of people who are most difficult to care for; the "good" homes typically sort out those patients.

Those workers take on responsibility few would want, and is every bit as important as any other job in health care. They are serving those at the end of life.

The euthanasia movement is built upon views quite similar to these. We reject euthanasia but accept the premises?

How did Sparko and cowpoke describe those people? Those descriptions were certainly not charitable. And definitely not compatible with a pro life view, if one assigns human nature to the Creator.
            the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "lets hire the cheapest labor we can..."

If you were any good, you'd be working elsewhere

Do you think that Sparko and Cowpoke believe those words they posted?
            Last edited by simplicio; 04-18-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you could summarize their opinion of nursing home workers?
              Your gross perversions of what we have said is duly noted.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What do I do for nursing homes in my area? Not nearly enough, and I know that I will be judged on that when I stand on judgement day.
                Then stop pointing fingers at CP in particular and the rest of us "Christians" in general, you self-righteous prig.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In U.K. it is a common practise to encourage people in care homes and nursing homes to sign DNR (do not resuscitate) papers. Especially in the current circumstances they would speak to the old folk ( or their relatives if the person lacked capacity) and encourage them to sign a DNR. This would then entail the old person being kept at the nursing home and ‘made comfortable’ should they get so sick as to get breathing difficulties. It is only because of a national outcry over the past week that they are even going to test people in care homes who show symptoms for Covid-19. Most healthcare assistants know their charges well enough to know when they are unwell. But there is nothing available to them when the person shows the classic symptoms everyone has been told to watch for. No testing and very little protective equipment given to staff to deal with those they suspect have the virus. Under those circumstances the virus would spread in any community but even more so in a community of vulnerable people. The nature of the work means the healthcare assistants cannot socially distance themselves from the residents and many of these workers are getting the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                    In U.K. it is a common practise to encourage people in care homes and nursing homes to sign DNR (do not resuscitate) papers. Especially in the current circumstances they would speak to the old folk ( or their relatives if the person lacked capacity) and encourage them to sign a DNR. This would then entail the old person being kept at the nursing home and ‘made comfortable’ should they get so sick as to get breathing difficulties. It is only because of a national outcry over the past week that they are even going to test people in care homes who show symptoms for Covid-19. Most healthcare assistants know their charges well enough to know when they are unwell. But there is nothing available to them when the person shows the classic symptoms everyone has been told to watch for. No testing and very little protective equipment given to staff to deal with those they suspect have the virus. Under those circumstances the virus would spread in any community but even more so in a community of vulnerable people. The nature of the work means the healthcare assistants cannot socially distance themselves from the residents and many of these workers are getting the virus.
                    Yes, not only vulnerable, but pretty much a "captive audience".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Your gross perversions of what we have said is duly noted.
                      Here is what you said: the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.

Did you mean what you said? You're the one with expertise in the area. I do hope the employees in the nursing home have not figured out how you feel about them. I asked if you let them know how you feel about them and you answered "of course not, we are there to assist"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yes, not only vulnerable, but pretty much a "captive audience".
                        The captive audience includes those who care for them, the number of positive cases is soaring among workers.

The DA is investigating criminal charges for the skilled nursing facility in California. And it is quite likely that the infection control protocols were sorely lacking. PPE is part of infection control for the patient, the ones trapped in the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          Then stop pointing fingers at CP in particular and the rest of us "Christians" in general, you self-righteous prig.
                          CP and Sparko held some pretty .....surprising views of those whose vocation is serving those persons. It reflects a curious pro life attitude, the inconvenient life which is incontinent. An incontinent baby is cute, the incontinent elderly is a burden, too many of them in one place and its just "horrible", a consequence of human nature.

Do you even know what self righteousness is? If you read the bible, it is being self satisfied with your attitude, dispositions and the things you do. My answer showed that I feel my works are less than satisfactory, that no, I haven't done enough. And I believe that Christians do not get a pass on the divine judgement.

Cowpoke does seem rather satisfied with his works. Good for him. Yet his response concerning outreach did not address those workers who are the working poor, nor did it include any things done to alleviate the burden on the workers who he notes are of such poor quality.

Most homes allow volunteers (with training) to help feed, transport patients. Quality razors are appreciated, all facilities I've seen use the rock bottom cheapest razors, the type I cut myself with. (I have not tried to shave someone else with a razor) Some churches open up for affordable day care, filling a void for struggling mothers who need to get to work on all days of the week. luncheons or even fruit baskets are appreciated.

Comment

Here is what you said: the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.
                            In CONTEXT, it was noting that MANAGEMENT was trying to operate as cheaply as they could, which is a large part of the problem. Only a Pharisaical hack like you would turn that into me attacking the actual workers.
                            Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-18-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Cowpoke does seem rather satisfied with his works.
                              Scripture Verse: Matt 5:16

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm not "satisfied" - I take great Joy in being able to minister to so many forgotten people.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Some studies suggest that the first-year mortality rate for intensive care nursing home residents is as high as 60%. That doesn't necessarily say much about nursing homes.
                                If they are truly intensive care nursing homes...is that a surprise? They tend to be populated by the most sick. I'd love to see the mortality statistics for patients entering a hospital ICU.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment