Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We have passed the peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have passed the peak

We have passed the peak, according to the administration. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ak/ar-BB12HjgM

However, not all agree: https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/...onavirus-toll/

So we have two assessments of the situation. Will Trump's assessment be walked back in ten days?

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Trump's assessment...
    It's not "Trump's assessment", you idiot, it's the assessment of the advisers he's been listening to since the first day this whole mess started.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And the peak will vary by state and region. Cuomo said it looks like NYC has reached their peak.

Trump has said over and over, that they will look at each state and region separately and he has put together the advisory committee to help with deciding what to open and when. And it will be up to the governors too.

Comment

We have passed the peak, according to the administration. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ak/ar-BB12HjgM

So we have two assessments of the situation. Will Trump's assessment be walked back in ten days?
        Wow. How odd that Microsoft News would be quoting people saying we need the fantasy-vaccine. Where we go for unbiased news.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          And the peak will vary by state and region. Cuomo said it looks like NYC has reached their peak.
          IHME estimates peak resource use for the nation was on April 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
            But I note the disclaimer: "COVID-19 projections assuming full social distancing through May 2020". That seems slightly less likely by the day; note the heavy backlash in Michigan. (I don't think Trump's pronouncements are going to have much of a real effect on that one way or the other.)
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              I am not sure I trust them, their numbers have been off all along. But we might be over the hump if you take an average of everything, but since NY is the overwhelming driving number in that, it works out to be the same as I said: It varies by region and NYC seems to have reached the peak.

Comment

If so, is it possible for all to keep in mind it is a peak reached only by the rigors of stay at home and a shut down economy, a peak that is less than 1/10th what it could have been without it, and a peak that will not remain a peak if we do not wait until the case count is sufficiently low, and the testing capabilities sufficiently high to prevent a return to unrestrained exponential spread.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The peak tells you that physical distancing works to reduce the infection rate. When you go back to pre-virus normality, the curve will bend upwards again. You should expect 4 weeks or so of good times before it goes bad again. Repeat for about 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    The peak tells you that physical distancing works to reduce the infection rate. When you go back to pre-virus normality, the curve will bend upwards again. You should expect 4 weeks or so of good times before it goes bad again. Repeat for about 2 years.
                    That would be assuming no vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      That would be assuming no vaccine.
                      Ordinarily, it takes 10 years to develop a new vaccine. I think we are going to live with this for a long time yet.

Comment

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...rong-1.8691031
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't think so. I believe if we get creative and yield to the reality rather than demand we go back to pre-covid 'normal', we can find ways of living with this until there is a cure that is not "just let all the poor folks that can't fight it off die". We have a lot of tools at our disposal previous generations simply did not have that will enable us to cope.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Moronic Man View Post
                            It's not "Trump's assessment", you idiot, it's the assessment of the advisers he's been listening to since the first day this whole mess started.
                            The advisers Trump relies on need to toe the party line if they want to keep their jobs.

Comment

Mitigation will give us time to develop a vaccine.

Comment