Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can We Hate China Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    Was the initial cover-up (i.e. the telling of doctors who were trying to alert people to instead shut up and not talk about it) actually ordered or orchestrated by the national Chinese government? The impression I got from reading about it before now was that it was the local government independently performing the clampdown.
    The clampdown on the doctors appears to be independently organised by the local government, yes.

Oh no, a terrible coverup of *check notes* 4 days. Time to start WWIII.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      It's not that I'm having trouble accepting they would make it up. It's the reason they'd do it that disturbs me. No one's going to believe an extraordinary claim like that without evidence, so everyone would just assume they're obviously flailing.
      The context is that a US senator on the Senate Intel Committee has been claiming for days, if not weeks that it was a Chinese bioweapon without showing any evidence.* But when some Chinese official decides to throw the accusation back, it's time to start WWIII.

*Demi originally thought that was the case too

Comment

Additional context:
        China isn't making some special serious accusation. Get a grip, people

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
          The context is that a US senator on the Senate Intel Committee has been claiming for days, if not weeks that it was a Chinese bioweapon without showing any evidence.* But when some Chinese official decides to throw the accusation back, it's time to start WWIII.

*Demi originally thought that was the case too
          In defense of the senator, there's a bit more evidence for China's involvement considering the recent arrests of -- I believe -- three US bio engineers that were apparently getting paid by the Chinese (though I'm not sure if that was the evidence the senator was going by). This is why one of my others options was an accidental release from a Wuhan bio-weapons lab and their subsequent cover-up of it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            In defense of the senator, there's a bit more evidence for China's involvement considering the recent arrests of -- I believe -- three US bio engineers that were apparently getting paid by the Chinese (though I'm not sure if that was the evidence the senator was going by). This is why one of my others options was an accidental release from a Wuhan bio-weapons lab and their subsequent cover-up of it.
            Demi used to agree with the senator. The point is that China isn't making this accusation in a vacuum, it's not specially serious. The US accused first, whether justified or not, and tit for tat accusations are common.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And calling it "the Spanish flu" stigmatizes all Spaniards. And calling it "the swine flu" stigmatizes all pig farmers. And calling it "Lou Gehrig's disease" stigmatizes all baseball players. And...

And Ebola and West Nile virus stigmatized Africans while Rocky Mountain spotted fever stigmatizes those in the Western U.S.

Funny how it was alright for those in the MSM to refer to it as Wuhan coronavirus and Chinese coronavirus right up to the instant Trump did then magically the same folks who had been using those terms started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And Ebola and West Nile virus stigmatized Africans while Rocky Mountain spotted fever stigmatizes those in the Western U.S.
                And Lyme disease from a city in my state (Lyme Ct).
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  It's well known where and how the virus originated, but calling it "the chinese virus" is simply stigmatizing a race of people, the chinese people. It isn't "a chinese virus," it's "a virus" the name of which is Corona or Covid-19.
                  So calling it Lyme disease stigmatizes the people of Lyme Connecticut? And perhaps the Chinese people should be stigmatized with their filthy practices like in the wet markets:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hey-might-pose
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

"It's your bioweapon!"
                    "No, it's yours!"
                    "It's your virus! Chinese virus!"

Demi is always yugely comforted when superpower dialogue is no different from kindergarten fights. It means things are normal.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Funny how it was alright for those in the MSM to refer to it as Wuhan coronavirus and Chinese coronavirus right up to the instant Trump did then magically the same folks who had been using those terms started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia.
                      Ebola is not a people, west nile and rocky mountain is not a people.

Comment

Ebola is not a people, west nile and rocky mountain is not a people.
                        So you have no problem calling it the Wuhan or China virus then?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          So you have no problem calling it the Wuhan or China virus then?
                          It has an official scientific name derived of the virus itself, which I'm sure you know by now is corona or covid-19. Trump continuously calling it the chinese virus is purposeful stigmatization of a race of people.

Comment

It has an official scientific name derived of the virus itself, which I'm sure you know by now is corona or covid-19. Trump continuously calling it the chinese virus is purposeful stigmatization of a race of people.
                            How much is China paying you to clean up their culpability in this matter Jim? Is that how became "independently wealthy"?
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

What is wrong with calling it Wuhan or China virus? We still call it Lyme disease, and kept using the terms Bird flu and Swine flu even though we had technical names. And I have no problem stigmatizing the Chinese for their horrible food handling practices. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hey-might-pose
                              Last edited by seer; 03-19-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                And what about the fact that the liberal media was calling it the "Wuhan virus" and the "Chinese coronavirus" for weeks and only got their nose out of joint when Trump followed suit and used the common name? Apparently it only became racist when Trump did it.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment