Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    We are performing slightly better than seven developed western nations.
    This is tempered by the US apparently doing much better than those western nations until about a month ago. As can be seen from the animation here, there were fewer confirmed cases reported in the US than there were in Italy, Spain, Germany or France up until March 18th. 8 days later the US had more than any of them and more than China.

So either the US failed badly at keeping the virus from spreading, or the previous US numbers were severely underreported due to a lack of testing.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You think the numbers changed that dramatically between 8:50 PM on 4/15 (when you posted that claim about Germany) and 9:40 AM on 4/16, when Roy made his post?

Sorry, Pix - I've been tracking the numbers. Your statement was wrong when you made it....
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• This appears to have nothing to do with the discussion at hand - so I'll leave the tangent to you.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        I check it, several times a day and have seen, for myself, the gap closing.
        Of course you haven't. I said the gap was widening - not closing. And I don't just "check it several times a day." I have been tracking the actual end-of-day data for several parameters since the start of the outbreak. I just added the testing data for the to 15 countries to see how they are tracking.

I have not "ignored" anything, Pix. My statement noted that these countries have similar urban/rural distributions but a higher overall density, making them more prone to spread than us in general. Comparing apples to apples (urban to urban, rural to rural) their performance is slightly worse than ours. They too have mistakes, but they also have a higher population density with the same rural/urban distribution.

Since I never made this claim, I'll leave the tangent to you.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Ummm...what on earth?

The observation was that your data was wrong - not that you lied. I have no idea why your data is wrong, just that it is.

But I have to acknowledge that this is the first time I have seen you acknowledge an error in your arguments, so kudos to you...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This appears to have nothing to do with the discussion at hand - so I'll leave the tangent to you.
            I see, so another Carp handwave, to the rescue! I live farther from NYC (where most of the outbreaks are currently at) than Paris and Berlin are apart. Why does it matter what happens, more than 1000 miles away?

Of course you haven't. I said the gap was widening - not closing. And I don't just "check it several times a day." I have been tracking the actual end-of-day data for several parameters since the start of the outbreak. I just added the testing data for the to 15 countries to see how they are tracking.
            Yeah I do Carp and there is a closing gap there.

I have not "ignored" anything, Pix. My statement noted that these countries have similar urban/rural distributions but a higher overall density, making them more prone to spread than us in general. Comparing apples to apples (urban to urban, rural to rural) their performance is slightly worse than ours. They too have mistakes, but they also have a higher population density with the same rural/urban distribution.
            Since I never made this claim, I'll leave the tangent to you.
            Another Carp handwave...
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Ummm...what on earth?

The observation was that your data was wrong - not that you lied. I have no idea why your data is wrong, just that it is.

But I have to acknowledge that this is the first time I have seen you acknowledge an error in your arguments, so kudos to you...
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Has the US peak passed? Or is this just more blind optimism*? I hope the former but expect the latter.

*"." (link)
                I am sure that the peaks will vary by location. I believe Cuomo said it looks like NY has reached the peak and things are leveling off if not dropping.

Trump has said they will look at each state and region separately. He isn't going to open everything at once. A state with very low numbers might be able to open sooner than a state with high numbers that are still climbing. Or a rural area might open before an urban one.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  I see, so another Carp handwave, to the rescue! I live farther from NYC (where most of the outbreaks are currently at) than Paris and Berlin are apart. Why does it matter what happens, more than 1000 miles away?
                  More tangent...

Yeah I do Carp and there is a closing gap there.
                  The data, please...

What this has to do with the arguments being made, I have no clue.

Data: The countries doing worse than the U.S. have a higher population density.
                  Data: The countries doing worse than the U.S. have roughly the same population distribution (rural/urban).

This leads to a possible reason for slightly elevated numbers. These countries have also made errors, like the U.S.

How the distance between the East and West coasts and how that compares to the distance from Paris to Moscow, I have no clue...

Another Carp handwave...
                  More tangent...

Sorry Pix - but you can call them "handwaves" all you wish - I'm not going to go down every tangent/rathole you toss into the discussion just because you apparently want me to.

Comment

• You were responding to my post when you made the comment I responded to. I did not accuse you of lying, hence my response.

Comment

How the distance between the East and West coasts and how that compares to the distance from Paris to Moscow, I have no clue...
                      It's simple. Lilpix thinks having 1000 miles between her and NY city means she'll doesn't need to worry. The fact that NY city is far more than 1000 miles from Wuhan yet has massive problems anyway seems to have eluded her.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

More tangent...

The data, please...

What this has to do with the arguments being made, I have no clue.

Data: The countries doing worse than the U.S. have a higher population density.
                        Data: The countries doing worse than the U.S. have roughly the same population distribution (rural/urban).

This leads to a possible reason for slightly elevated numbers. These countries have also made errors, like the U.S.

More tangent...

Sorry Pix - but you can call them "handwaves" all you wish - I'm not going to go down every tangent/rathole you toss into the discussion just because you apparently want me to.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          Hmmm, you must really hate Christians, expecting them to place the talking points and bumper sticker slogans into real life contexts. (yes that is sarcastic, but uses the actual points made by Christian posters here. )
                          Actually... I do hate Christians...

(for the ironically challenged, that was a joke. I'm married to one....)

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            It's simple. Lilpix thinks having 1000 miles between her and NY city means she'll doesn't need to worry. The fact that NY city is far more than 1000 miles from Wuhan yet has massive problems anyway seems to have eluded her.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-16-2020, 09:59 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• None of this relates to the argument being made, since I never suggested you had to "care about what goes on in NYC."

The argument was about the relative performance of the U.S. and other countries: we are slightly better than a small handful - for explainable reasons, and worse than most as well as worse than the world averages. The argument was also about the specific failings of U.S leadership at the federal level, which has been listed multiple times now.

The rest is a tangent, so feel free to toss in another "handwave."

Comment

None of this relates to the argument being made, since I never suggested you had to "care about what goes on in NYC."

The argument was about the relative performance of the U.S. and other countries: we are slightly better than a small handful - for explainable reasons, and worse than most as well as worse than the world averages. The argument was also about the specific failings of U.S leadership at the federal level, which has been listed multiple times now.

The rest is a tangent, so feel free to toss in another "handwave."
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-16-2020, 10:07 AM.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment