Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This appears to be part and parcel of the ongoing theme from the right to emphasize states rights as a way to deflect blame from Mr. Trump. The battle between states rights and federal rights has been ongoing since the first Congress and will not be resolved now. The role of the federal is to deal with any multi-state issues, especially with regards to defense (though the founding fathers originally didn't even want a standing army!). So it regulates interstate commerce, builds interstate road systems (even though they pass through states), regulates radio frequencies, identifies and manages national parks, collects taxes, and provides resources to states.

Mr. Trump's failings have been in this latter area. His lack of action on the Defense Production Act has resulted in current and ongoing shortages of critically needed resources. His lack of coordination of existing resource sources has resulted in states bidding against each other and inevitable price gouging from the "free market." His lack of willingness to issue a national call to shelter-in-place has resulted in a patchwork of mitigation efforts that has created infection spikes in multiple places. His "me first" approach to everything has resulted in governors having to hold "governors only" sessions to attempt coordination. His incessant need for accolades has led to a parade of sycophants praising him at every press conference and leaders bowing and scraping because they know they will be attacked/denied if they do anything else, and (for governors) the safety of their constituents is at stake.

In short, he's an inept, vile, narcissistic man who never should have been allowed near the highest office in the land. Is every priority has been and will be about furthering himself. If the country accidentally benefits, so much the better. But if it comes to a choice between himself and the country, he will (and has) toss(ed) the country under a bus without a thought.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Which is true.

You mean why now instead of months ago when Fauci admitted more lives would be saved?

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Which is true.

You mean why now instead of months ago when Fauci admitted more lives would be saved?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          You'd think they'd recognize it to be sand rather than continue drinking.
          JimL you drink the sand (kool-aid) and beg for more.

Comment

• Welp... Trump just wrecked the liberal narrative at today's press briefing with a video showing how was taking early action while the media downplayed the China flu and accused the President of overreacting. Of course the media isn't happy about it.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...-by-p-n2566846
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• So - after all of the "states rights" assertions made here, I have to wonder what Trump's base is saying about his claim, yesterday, that he has "absolute authority" with respect to the governors and decisions about re-opening businesses that exist within states.

I will repeat what I have said from the outset: Trump has failed to use the authority he DOES have, especially in a time of crisis, which relates to matters that are inter-state, multi-state, and international. But "absolute authority?"
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So - after all of the "states rights" assertions made here, I have to wonder what Trump's base is saying about his claim, yesterday, that he has "absolute authority" with respect to the governors and decisions about re-opening businesses that exist within states.

I will repeat what I have said from the outset: Trump has failed to use the authority he DOES have, especially in a time of crisis, which relates to matters that are inter-state, multi-state, and international. But "absolute authority?"
                The population that has suffered the most from Trump's lack of leadership and failure to act proactively concerning isolation and distancing, is the elderly and vulnerable, and they will likely suffer the most if Trump prematurally dictatorially demands the nation reopen. Fortunately many statements will follow the science and facts, and reopen in a orderly staggered process. Unfortunately some will not.

Comment

So - after all of the "states rights" assertions made here, I have to wonder what Trump's base is saying about his claim, yesterday, that he has "absolute authority" with respect to the governors and decisions about re-opening businesses that exist within states.

You were one of the ones complaining that Trump should have issued a nationwide lockdown. Now you claim he doesn't have the authority to issue a nationwide opening.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  There is not much reason to overly praise the administration here. They took a minimal action which was followed by piecemeal border closures for the next six weeks. And there is STILL no nationwide "shelter-in-place" order (8 states, all red, are still not issuing them) or limits on interstate travel.
                  My opinion is that he was right the first time, it's the Governor's who have the authority to open or shut down their states. He can lead and urge and guide but he can't order them to re-open.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 04-14-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

will repeat what I have said from the outset: Trump has failed to use the authority he DOES have, especially in a time of crisis, which relates to matters that are inter-state, multi-state, and international. But "absolute authority?"
                    I disagree with him.

As for you, first liberals complain that Trump acts too much like a dictator, then they complain that he isn't acting enough like one, and now they're back to complaining that he acts too much like one. Make up your mind, will you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I disagree with him.

As for you, first liberals complain that Trump acts too much like a dictator, then they complain that he isn't acting enough like one, and now they're back to complaining that he acts too much like one. Make up your mind, will you?
                      Since I have never said that, I have no response. I have been clear about the extent to which presidential authority extends.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]44132[/ATTACH]
                          Wow... the primary source of fake news portrayed as knocking out fake news...

No image I can think of could be more ironic - or backwards.

Comment

Wow... the primary source of fake news portrayed as knocking out fake news...

No image I can think of could be more ironic - or backwards.
                            That's because you're ironic and backwards.

Comment

• Less than a month after Putin said the COVAG 19 is "under control" there is surge of cases, and yes the COVAG 19 is out of control. Sound familiar. False bravado does not stop viruses.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-coronavirus-putin-moscow-hospitals-beds/

After Putin's bravado, COVID-19 is starting to hit Russia hard

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• People keep pointing out that the USA has the most covid-19 deaths and that means how poorly Trump is doing. But if you look at a chart based on deaths per capita instead of just raw numbers, the US is doing way better than most other countries in controlling the virus.

covidpercapita.jpg
                                https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

Comment