Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nowhere with a significant number of cases is the mortality 1 in 1000. S Korea was the best but has now moved to a little over 1%. Germany is a bit of an outlier as well but somewhat new in terms of growth and we have yet to see where it is going but still 3x that. Italy is a disaster nearing 9%, Iran around 6% last I looked. US/UK/France/Spain are all above 1%. New York state is sitting at 0.5% right now but their explosion of cases is again very new and they are expecting to run out of ICU facilities soon. California is at 2%, Washington state with the impact on older population and having had the infection the longest sits at 5.7%

Again, the percentage of people that this disease sends to a hospital is high. And the long term consequences to those patients (if they live) in terms of permanent lung damage is also high. And the disease itself is very contagious. 2x that of the flu. Comments like yours are misrepresenting the facts and downplaying the severity of the impact of uncontrolled spread and the responsibility we all have to act in a way the reduces the chance of wide spread infection.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      And how do we know these are 100% necessary?
      Because we can do simple math. Italy, a country of 60 million, had its health system surpass capacity with 35000 cases. Once that happens you start picking who lives and who dies and fatalities skyrocket (not just from the virus but also from other conditions that require use of the system).

If you have better containment measures feel free to contact the CDC and let them know.

What are the risk factor groups most at risk?
      What does it matter? You can still spread it and kill people at risk even if you personally aren't affected.

How will people pay their bills if the economy collapses?
      Why would the economy collapse? Certain sectors will be hit hard and they can apply for EI/welfare until the threat is gone and the economy recovers.

Preparation is not panic.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Nowhere with a significant number of cases is the mortality 1 in 1000. S Korea was the best but has now moved to a little over 1%. Germany is a bit of an outlier as well but somewhat new in terms of growth and we have yet to see where it is going but still 3x that. Italy is a disaster nearing 9%, Iran around 6% last I looked. US/UK/France/Spain are all above 1%. New York state is sitting at 0.5% right now but their explosion of cases is again very new and they are expecting to run out of ICU facilities soon. California is at 2%, Washington state with the impact on older population and having had the infection the longest sits at 5.7%

Again, the percentage of people that this disease sends to a hospital is high. And the long term consequences to those patients (if they live) in terms of permanent lung damage is also high. And the disease itself is very contagious. 2x that of the flu. Comments like yours are misrepresenting the facts and downplaying the severity of the impact of uncontrolled spread and the responsibility we all have to act in a way the reduces the chance of wide spread infection.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-19-2020, 11:21 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Because we can do simple math. Italy, a country of 60 million, had its health system surpass capacity with 35000 cases. Once that happens you start picking who lives and who dies and fatalities skyrocket (not just from the virus but also from other conditions that require use of the system).

If you have better containment measures feel free to contact the CDC and let them know.

What does it matter? You can still spread it and kill people at risk even if you personally aren't affected.

Why would the economy collapse? Certain sectors will be hit hard and they can apply for EI/welfare until the threat is gone and the economy recovers.

Preparation is not panic.
          Italy:

Has among the oldest population, in the world.
          Has a higher consumption rate among cigarettes.
          Live closer together.

All factors that seem to cause big problems, with this new virus.

America has:

A younger population
          Less cigarette consumption
          Less living in close proximity

And if you saw you were about to get bit by a snake, but shot your own leg in the process of killing the snake, did you really save yourself?
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-19-2020, 11:19 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            The fact is Carp, he did not bungle it badly, at least no worse than most other leaders (except maybe in South Korea or Germany). Second, even though there were early missteps Trump is fully up to speed. The governors of the two worst infected states (New York and California) have nothing but praise for Trump and his response. I just listen to Como again this morning. And they are on the front lines.
            First, that is not a fact, Seer; it's an opinion. My opinion is that many needless mistakes were made and it was pretty badly bungled - and continues to be badly bungled. I have cited the reasons/events I use as the basis for this opinion.

Second, I have not seen the praise you are talking about, so if you have links to those news stories, I'd be interested in looking at them. "Nothing but praise" is Trump-esque hyperbole that raises question marks for me.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Americans seem to be waking up to the globalist scam traitors like you have been running for the last few decades. We can only hope people like you are made to answer for your many heinous crimes in this life. You certainly won't like what happens in the next.
              Calling a liar a liar makes you a globalist scam traitor? Warning that people are gonna die is a heinous crime?

See, this is why folks outside the USA think Christians are crazy. Bad advert for the kingdom, man.
              ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

And if you saw you were about to get bit by a snake, but shot your own leg in the process of killing the snake, did you really save yourself?
                If that was the surest-fire way of killing the snake, and it saved not only your life but that of many others whom the snake would have bitten and killed... then yeah, maybe.
                ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

• The only numbers I have seen broken down by demographics are from China and they cite 0.2% mortality up to age 49, then a jump to 0.4 up to age 59, and a leap to 3.6% up to age 69. I have linked to sources about these numbers previously. I have no idea where you are getting your numbers. Sources to substantiate the numbers would be helpful. I already noted the impact of asymptomatic carriers in my previous response. My point, Pix, was your statement was meaningless because a) most illnesses kill a small fraction and can be described as "unlikely to kill," and the role of asymptomatic carriers is vital: even if they do not die themselves, they can spread the disease and increase the risk to those who are at greater risk.

Pix - I have no idea what you are arguing about/against here. You are essentially repeating the points I just made. Any person for any disease that is not in the risk factor group has a greater odds of survival. That's basic virology. However, they can be factors in spreading the disease and increasing the risk to those who ARE at risk. That is the point.

Where did I say anything about "shutting down response teams?" Can you link to that post, please? Trump (and his administration) shut down the pandemic response office within the White House. That is well documented, and was part of the resource that could have better responded to this situation. He also proposed broad cuts to the CDC - which fortunately never manifested.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                    Calling a liar a liar makes you a globalist scam traitor? Warning that people are gonna die is a heinous crime?
                    Strange how you don't actually address the things I actually DID talk about in my post. Very mysterious.

See, this is why folks outside the USA think Christians are crazy. Bad advert for the kingdom, man.
                    1. I'm not an American.
                    2. You country and people are both a complete laughingstock. I don't know anybody from any country who actually respects you, and I don't blame them. Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Chaotic Void

... Wow, really?

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Chaotic Void; 03-20-2020, 12:00 AM.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      First, that is not a fact, Seer; it's an opinion. My opinion is that many needless mistakes were made and it was pretty badly bungled - and continues to be badly bungled. I have cited the reasons/events I use as the basis for this opinion.

Second, I have not seen the praise you are talking about, so if you have links to those news stories, I'd be interested in looking at them. "Nothing but praise" is Trump-esque hyperbole that raises question marks for me.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...241321406.html

'Followed through': Newsom praises Trump for response to Grand Princess coronavirus outbreak

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-outbreak

CALIFORNIA'S DEMOCRAT GOVERNOR PRAISES TRUMP'S RESPONSE TO CORONAVIRUS ON CRUISE SHIP: 'EVERY SINGLE THING HE SAID THEY FOLLOWED THROUGH ON'

https://www.newsweek.com/californias...e-said-1491294

Gov. Newsom Praises President Trump For Federal Support on Coronavirus

https://californiaglobe.com/section-...n-coronavirus/

NEW YORK GOVERNOR PRAISES 'VERY CREATIVE' TRUMP ON CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE AS PRESIDENT SENDS SHIP TO SERVE AS FLOATING HOSPITAL

https://www.newsweek.com/andrew-cuom...avirus-1493058

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...team-is-on-it/

N.Y. Gov. Cuomo: President Trump Is "Fully Engaged" On Coronavirus Crisis; "Very Creative And Energetic"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...energetic.html

New York Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo praised President Donald Trump during a press conference on Tuesday for his work in helping New Yorkers combat the coronavirus, which originated in China.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/watch...riotic-message
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yep. The White House response has been "Don't panic. We have everything under control." Then Rosenstein's sister at the CDC holds a press conference call to delivery a contradictory statement. Guess which one the media has run with?
                        The contradictions and the very late response to the corona virus.

Comment

Italy:

Has among the oldest population, in the world.
                          Has a higher consumption rate among cigarettes.
                          Live closer together.

All factors that seem to cause big problems, with this new virus.

America has:

A younger population
                          Less cigarette consumption
                          Less living in close proximity
                          You are completely missing my point and validating everything I said about being short sighted. The point was that 35000 cases crippled a country of 60 million. It doesn't matter if it will spread slower in the US. 31 million americans had the flu this season. Imagine what this virus will do if it hits those numbers (which it will if it isn't contained given that it's more contagious than the flu).

Depends on the snake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mole Man View Post
                            Snopes?

They're selling the same distorted narrative as the Democrats. If you had bothered to actually read the Breitbart story, you world have noted that it was about the Associated Press independently verifying something that Breitbart had reported earlier.

It's true that Bolton eliminated the Ebola response team because they were no longer needed, but the CDC is bigger than that, and they have the money, personnel, and procedures in place to handle the current situation.

But seriously, man, Snopes? You need better sources.
                            Explain specifically where it is in error.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                              If that was the surest-fire way of killing the snake, and it saved not only your life but that of many others whom the snake would have bitten and killed... then yeah, maybe.
                              So you bleed to death vs dying from a snake bite when moving your leg out of the way might have worked better.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You are completely missing my point and validating everything I said about being short sighted. The point was that 35000 cases crippled a country of 60 million. It doesn't matter if it will spread slower in the US. 31 million americans had the flu this season. Imagine what this virus will do if it hits those numbers (which it will if it isn't contained given that it's more contagious than the flu).
                                But of the 144 cases in people 85 and older, 31% to 71% were hospitalized and 6.3% to 29% needed intensive care. The death rate in that age group was 10% to 27%.

In contrast, among people 20 to 44, 14% to 21% of 705 cases were admitted to hospitals and 2% to 4% to ICUs; 0.1% to 0.2% died.

The rates for middle-aged people fell between these extremes, while 29% to 44% of patients 65 to 74 were hospitalized and 8% to 19% needed intensive care; 2.7% to 4.9% in this age group died.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/

So right there tells me that your age is a good factor in your survival and hospitalization rate. One of the oldest countries, in the world, is finding itself overwhelmed by a disease that hurts the elderly, the worst. Imagine that.

Depends on the snake.
                                Or you could just move your leg and avoid both.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment