Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    He's already cheered our hearts by being a bright spot for levity during the boredom of the quarantine. Adds a spot of color to a drab work-from-home day when a work colleague posts about Trump's inspired leadership in the chat. I can tell you everyone in my country stands in awe of his... greatness.
    Glad we could be of assistance to our allies in this grave period. Stay tuned for more of the boogaloo tweets from our esteemed Commander-in-Chief.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      An interesting comparison between COVAG=19 and H1N1 2008-9.

H1N1 viruses: Coronavirus: How H1N1 cases and deaths compare to Covid-19

Unlike the coronavirus, the disease was more deadly for younger demographics. It was estimated that 80 percent of H1N1 victims worldwide were younger than 65 years of age. By far almost all infected were not asymptomatic of mild symptoms. It is likely to have a lower fatality rate due to the fate that it infects more younger people, but because of the lack of data for COVAG-19 this is inconclusive.

COVAG-19:In contrast by far the majority of the infected with serious illness and fatalities were over 65, and the proportion of the fatalities and severe cases in the different Western countries was proportional to the elderly population. The mild infections and asymptomatic cases of COVAG-19 were likely 80%+. What this means if isolation unless it is extreme isolation of the vulnerable and elderly will have limited success.

As far as the infection rate and fatality rate frequency I will reserve comparison, because of the uncertainty of the figures for COVAG-18 due large numbers of a symptomate and mild response to infection. More intensive testing needs to be needed.
      If you are going to pretend to be knowledgeable, at least get the name right. It's not COVAG-18 or COVAG=19, it is COVID-19

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If you are going to pretend to be knowledgeable, at least get the name right. It's not COVAG-18 or COVAG=19, it is COVID-19
        COVAG-18 sounds like an entirely different kind of disease.

Comment

• The 'left' are saying "never let a good crisis go to waste", and are doing everything in their power to use this to their advantage.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            The 'left' are saying "never let a good crisis go to waste", and are doing everything in their power to use this to their advantage.
            Watch and learn. I said at the start, that this thing is a reality bomb. Watch other countries succeed, and learn how ineffective a Repub. leadership is at crisis management.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Watch and learn. I said at the start, that this thing is a reality bomb. Watch other countries succeed, and learn how ineffective a Repub. leadership is at crisis management.
              Watch the US bounce back from this better and stronger than ever before.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Watch the US bounce back from this better and stronger than ever before.
                I hope you do, but the data looks awful. The UK and much of Europe is seeing the beginning of a recovering trend, even though deaths here (UK) have reached 850/day.

I see that some nutters are going on Fox to compare covid numbers with road traffic accidents, seasonal flu, and so on. They do not understand the reality of exponential growth. Neither does the POTUS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Hey, man, lay off Shuny, or he'll shoot you with his AR-14!
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    I hope you do, but the data looks awful. The UK and much of Europe is seeing the beginning of a recovering trend, even though deaths here have reached 850/day.

I see that some nutters are going on Fox to compare covid numbers with road traffic accidents, seasonal flu, and so on. They do not understand the reality of exponential growth. Neither does the POTUS.
                    I don't watch Fox. And I suspect you don't, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      It is a level of childishness not expected in a chief executive. A chief executive that throws a childish hissy ("I'm not going to call you if you're not nice to me! Whaaa....") is undermining the need for concerted effort to solve problems, and thereby putting people at risk. People before self, country before party, should be the operating mode of a chief executive.

But if you're OK with a chief executive with the emotional maturity of a third grader...
                      Really... so how often do you make a point of personally contacting someone you're unlikely to have a productive conversation with? The president has better things to do. The fact that you think this in anyway put people's lives at risk is nutty.

Comment

I don't watch Fox. And I suspect you don't, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Really... so how often do you make a point of personally contacting someone you're unlikely to have a productive conversation with? The president has better things to do. The fact that you think this in anyway put people's lives at risk is nutty.
                          Like playing golf, Tweeting, and watching FOX TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Like playing golf, Tweeting, and watching FOX TV.
                            Those, at least, are more productive uses of his time than trying to curry favor with malcontents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                              NZ and Australia are about to declare mission accomplished. Will be interesting to see if it stays accomplished once some of the restrictions get lifted.

Australia's cases per day:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44156[/ATTACH]

New Zealand's cases per day:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44157[/ATTACH]

Bit of a frustratingly slow tail-off, but it's getting there. We were finally single-digits for new cases nationally yesterday. Both countries have pursued pretty vigorous lockdown policies over the last month and those seem to have been very successful.
                              Our new cases per day have floated between 24,337 and 34,592 since March 31st. They are essentially flat at that level, and now we are seeing spikes in predominantly rural states. But "mission accomplished" and "damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead."

Actually - not exactly "full speed," but definitely, IMO, premature speed. Part of me is so tired of the silly argument, I'm almost inclined to say, "let them re-mingle." Anyone who contracts this virus out of pure stupidity deserves whatever happens to them. Cleaning the gene pool, as they say. The problem is, it won't be just them - a lot of other people trying to maintain social distancing to stay healthy will get caught in their wake.

It just boggles the mind...
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Really... so how often do you make a point of personally contacting someone you're unlikely to have a productive conversation with?
                                Apparently, the concept of "leadership" in your neck of the woods is different than in mine. In my neck of the woods it involves "doing what needs to be done to get the job done." Sometimes it means dealing with difficult people. Sometimes it means listening to criticism and sometimes that criticism is unfair. If my job is to see to the safety and security of a group of people, my job includes dealing with malcontents if that is what it takes to get the job done. It sometimes requires growing a pair, which I doubt this man will ever do.

Apparently, in your neck of the woods, "leadership" entails the concept of wiping your hands as soon as things get tough, and whining "it's not fair" at any semblance of criticism or unhappiness in the ranks. And this is the master deal-maker? Really?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                The president has better things to do.
                                Yeah - I've seen his calendar. Not so much...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                The fact that you think this in anyway put people's lives at risk is nutty.
                                In a crisis situation - anything that breaks down communication and creates obstacles to solutions puts lives at risk. It's not really simple: when time = more deaths, anything that adds time to the process of getting to solutions creates more deaths. Trump's lies, misinformation, promoting discord, and failure to act on key issues is wasting time which is costing lives. Those deaths are on him.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment