Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    By withholding Congressionally appropriated funding until the Ukrainian president did Trump's bidding, Trump attempted to use a foreign government to influence the 2020 election. In doing so, he committed the highest crime: he attempted to deprive the people of the United States of their right to a free and fair election. This was established by the testimony of the House witnesses and would have been reinforced by the first-hand evidence of Bolton - i.e. if TRUTH was of any interest to the Senate or Trump's minion, McConnell..
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• This TIME article explains the origins and meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors:
      Note that statutory crimes are unnecessary for impeachment.
      https://time.com/5745616/high-crimes-and-misdemeanors/

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
        This TIME article explains the origins and meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors:
        Note that statutory crimes are unnecessary for impeachment.
        https://time.com/5745616/high-crimes-and-misdemeanors/
        Right, liberals have been working very hard to push the narrative that when our Founding Fathers said that a president could be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors", they really didn't mean high crimes and misdemeanors. Liberals have only latched onto this because they know that President Trump is not guilty of any crimes, so they're trying to establish the very dangerous precedent that an innocent man can be impeached and removed from office, and we should all be grateful that it appears the scheme will fail.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Right, liberals have been working very hard to push the narrative that when our Founding Fathers said that a president could be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors", they really didn't mean high crimes and misdemeanors. Liberals have only latched onto this because they know that President Trump is not guilty of any crimes, so they're trying to establish the very dangerous precedent that an innocent man can be impeached and removed from office, and we should all be grateful that it appears the scheme will fail.
          Tell me this, MM, could a president be impeached if he decided to take a year or two off to relax and play golf, or basically to shirk the responsibilities of the office?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Tell me this, MM, could a president be impeached if he decided to take a year or two off to relax and play golf, or basically to shirk the responsibilities of the office?
            Jim, a President can be impeached for farting, if there is a crazy enough partisan group of people in the House who hated him that much.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                This TIME article explains the origins and meaning of high crimes and misdemeanors:
                Perhaps Nancy should have made THEM House Managers instead of the lying little shifty Schiff?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Jim, a President can be impeached for farting, if there is a crazy enough partisan group of people in the House who hated him that much.
                  So you admit then that the commiting of an actual crime is not what is meant by "abuse of power?"

Comment

It seems that the devil himself has anointed you with his blood.

Comment

So you admit then that the commiting of an actual crime is not what is meant by "abuse of power?"
                      Jim, you're really not smart enough to play these "let's try to trap somebody" games. I said what I said. And you're incredibly bad at accurately summarizing somebody else's statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Been watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          I think a reasonable case could be made that this would fall under the crime of dereliction of duty since the president is the head of our nation's military.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                            I am washed by the blood of Jesus Christ who died and rose from the dead so that I might share in his victory over sin and death.

Comment

I am washed by the blood of Jesus Christ who died and rose from the dead so that I might share in his victory over sin and death.
                              I think he was thinking of his own baptism that or the one from that weird Netflix show.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• House manager Val Demings argues: "Innocent people don't try to hide every document & witness, especially those that would clear them. That's what guilty people do. Innocent people do everything they can to clear their name & provide evidence that shows that they are innocent."

This is formally known as a kafkatrap and is one step away from "Comrade, surely you won't mind if we read all of your personal correspondence. After all, an innocent man has nothing to hide."

Comment