Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's speech malfunctions from Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I actually got an A for a book report for a non-existent book that I made up out of whole cloth an hour before I presented it.
    Same here!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Here's a video piecing together a three of Trump's serious speech malfunctions from Wednesday. Look how he struggled to even get his mangled version of 'terrorist' out. Clearly his brain continues to melt down from his dementia and (documented) long term drug abuse. Or is it just more TDS from me? Give an honest look and make up your own mind.

https://twitter.com/Craigrm5/status/1214974607377088513

Trump's issues are not *just* old age but we (as a country) also need to be honest about our increasing ability to keep our bodies working for far longer than our brains can keep pace. Four of the current frontrunners for 2020 (Trump, Sanders, Biden, Warren) are 70 or older and at two of them (Trump and Sanders) have had serious health scares within the last ~6 months. Bloomberg is also over 70 as well.

Should we consider a constitutional amendment limiting the president to not more than, say, 70 at the start of their first full term and not more than 74 at the start of their second? Or mandate that to be eligible past age 70 they must pass three comprehensive medital (physical and mental) top hospitals or something? How do we avoid getting stuck with a mentally enfeebled president for which there is no political appetite to do anything about as with Reagan (who, amusingly, turned 70 three weeks after being sworn in)?
      I think the people are a pretty good judge, always have been, when determining the mental and physical fitness of their selection. Moral and ethical character they sometimes have a problem with as is evident with the current President.

Comment

As someone who was sleep deprived for around a decade due to medical reasons I'm well aware :). But his his word salad wasn't slurred in those clips so that can't be it. Also there are prescription drugs you can take which make you right as rain no matter how little sleep you've gotten. I've taken Provigil a few times in my life and it's like a miracle how awake and aware it makes you in minutes even after staying up the entire night.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Point is, there is no reason to believe a conspiracy theory when other things work just fine.
          Unless it's Hillary of course.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Unless it's Hillary of course.
            Can you quote me where I said Hillary was a sickly mess?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

People are all effected differently by lack and sleep and stress.
              If you can't handle a lack of sleep and stress then being president isn't the right job for you.

If you can't do everything possible, even taking prescribed drugs which you don't want to (a an ad hoc explanation), to be in tip top shape in the days and weeks following multiple high profile targeted killings then maybe being president isn't the right job for you. Can't we agree at least on that?

when other things work just fine.
              Interesting choice of words (emphasis added by me).

Trump's father suffered from dementia in the years before his death. On that basis alone we know Trump's odds of getting dementia are higher than chance. No ad hoc explanations necessary.

Real talk: Have you ever seen someone make the kind of speech malfunctions Trump is exhibiting with increasing frequency from someone who wasn't either drunk, high, or with a medical condition? I haven't.

Comment

Can you quote me where I said Hillary was a sickly mess?
                Not off hand, but I was speaking in general, and many here were doing just that, and I don't doubt for a second that you were one of them. If not, don't take it personally.

Comment

If you can't handle a lack of sleep and stress then being president isn't the right job for you.
                  If you can't do everything possible, even taking prescribed drugs which you don't want to (a an ad hoc explanation), to be in tip top shape in the days and weeks following multiple high profile targeted killings then maybe being president isn't the right job for you. Can't we agree at least on that?
                  Interesting choice of words (emphasis added by me).

Trump's father suffered from dementia in the years before his death. On that basis alone we know Trump's odds of getting dementia are higher than chance. No ad hoc explanations necessary.
                  Real talk: Have you ever seen someone make the kind of speech malfunctions Trump is exhibiting with increasing frequency from someone who wasn't either drunk, high, or with a medical condition? I haven't.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's more likely, with all the slurring of speech, that he is on some kind of drugs. He also has that annoying breathing noise whenever he speaks. What's that all about?

Comment

This is a straw man. I said "handle", not "be immune to".

I've abused prescription drugs in the past and nowadays I use my prescription drugs according to doctors orders. Is there really a contradiction here?

I agree. But if the choice is between him using drugs as prescribed versus give the kind of performance he gave on Wednesday during one of his most important speeches yet I know which one I'd prefer from my president.

Clinton Derangement Syndrome
                      Not today Satan.

Or he could, get this, take the drugs according to doctors orders. I take a prescription drug which, if taken in excess, makes me feel *really good* (but also tends to give me seizures). I don't take it in excess anymore. And no one is accusing me of being a drug addict!

Edit: You (sort of) replied to my real talk question.

I'm not either of those.

Have you ever seen someone with those kinds of speech malfunctions who wasn't under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a medical condition? I haven't.
                      Last edited by DivineOb; 01-11-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

It's more likely, with all the slurring of speech, that he is on some kind of drugs. He also has that annoying breathing noise whenever he speaks. What's that all about?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, I just play one on tweb.

Comment

This is a straw man. I said "handle", not "be immune to".
                            I've abused prescription drugs in the past and nowadays I use my prescription drugs according to doctors orders. Is there really a contradiction here?
                            I agree. But if the choice is between him using drugs as prescribed versus give the kind of performance he gave on Wednesday during one of his most important speeches yet I know which one I'd prefer from my president.
                            Trump has never been known to be a great speaker, but that is hardly evidence that your assertions are true.

Not today Satan.
                            Or he could, get this, take the drugs according to doctors orders. I take a prescription drug which, if taken in excess, makes me feel *really good* (but also tends to give me seizures). I don't take it in excess anymore. And no one is accusing me of being a drug addict!
                            Edit: You (sort of) replied to my real talk question.

I'm not either of those.
                            Have you ever seen someone with those kinds of speech malfunctions who wasn't under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a medical condition? I haven't.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-11-2020, 02:34 PM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, I just play one on tweb.
                              I thought you played the court jester around here.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I thought you played the court jester around here.
                                Surely, you jest.

Comment