Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I can actually see the more anti-interventionist pro-Trump crowd using this as an example of 4-D chess they believe he uses. They can now say he did this knowing he'd have an even greater excuse to remove the troops from Iraq. Not only will Iraq parliament ramp up their rhetoric for them to leave, but he can now stave off the war hawks like Graham with the excuse that the situation is too volatile and dangerous for troops to be there. Not saying that's what will happen nor that's his strategy, but that's what they can say.
      I either case he should use the opportunity to get our troops out. It will be a mess though.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Trust in Rachel, and she will save your soul.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ddow-and-msnbc
        Just out of curiosity and amusement, what's Rachel's latest Russian conspiracy theory to explain why a Putin puppet assassinated one of Russia's ally's top leaders?
        Last edited by seanD; 01-04-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Diplomacy, like war, isn't about achieving perfect (or even fantastic) ends. It's about averting the worst and making progress where possible.

The question isn't: "Is China a model international state now?"

The question is: "Would China's behavior be better or worse with Policy X or Intervention Y?"

It's important to ask these questions and approach it seriously, lest you fail to avert the worst (or hasten it along with careless behavior).

--Sam
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
            What would have been the better option for China?
            Isolate them.

China has opened up in that time and is an active member of the international community. Chinese investments and tourists and students are present in virtually every nation.
            And what has that accomplished? Is China no longer wiping out cultures within its nation? Is China no longer stealing trade secrets, from the US? Is China no longer pushing around its neighbors? Is China no longer sending millions of their own citizens to slave away, in factories? Is the Chinese government not censoring the movies the people can see, the web sites they can visit, or the music they can listen to?

Sounds like China is still ran by an oppressive, authoritarian, government that now is flush with cash. Just remember, North Korea exist because China allows it to.

If the next generation in Iran shares the same ideals as us then would be the best policy?
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-04-2020, 09:05 AM.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              The embassy riot killed no one. Assassinating the 2nd most powerful person in Iran is not an appropriate response. At all. It's utterly demented insanity to pretend it was justified.

Yes. Although to Obama's slight credit he gave Congress plenty of warning he was going to do it, so they had the ability to say no if they wanted to (which they didn't). That's not, constitutionally, how it's supposed to work, so Obama was definitely in the wrong there.

I do not believe I was posting in this forum during that period. However, I have always been extremely consistent in my anti-war views, just as I am in all my moral positions, and I apply my views equally to Republican and Democratic presidents.

Here are segments from a series of posts from me in 2016 about Obama and war:

Progressive commentators I follow tend to rant about Obama's war-mongering on a weekly basis... The anti-war left loathes most of Obama's foreign policy. I can point you to previous posts of mine that have said Obama should be indicted for war crimes...

Obama has been able to get away with over the top militarism without it getting seriously questioned. The anti-war left has gotten almost entirely ignored [by the MSM]...

Obama... always claims that what he's doing is very limited in scope, and the public has only really learned the full horror of what he's been doing in drips that have leaked over time...

Obama's been horrific [as a warmonger]..

I loathe Obama's foreign policies...

[Obama's] still got troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, and has expanded drone strikes to six countries in total. He wanted to close Guantanamo, but failed. He wanted to help the Libyan people, but his intervention has led to chaos in the country that seems roughly as bad as Gaddafi was. He supported a coup in Honduras, and that's made things worse there...

Under [Obama's] command, the US military has committed numerous war-crimes ranging from the deliberate bombing of a doctors-without-borders hospital in Afghanistan to bombing weddings and funerals...

Also in that thread btw from me:
              most of the time [Trump's] advocated for a non-interventionist strategy, whereas Clinton is a war-hawk. That's one of two main reasons I'd prefer a Trump presidency over a Clinton one.

I criticized Obama for his war atrocities, and I'm criticizing Trump for the same.
              I see Tazzy Wazzy is ignoring the 500 some Americans that have been killed, thanks to Iran.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                No, one American was killed and four wounded in a forward base by his surrogates - we retaliated. Then the riots. And again Star why did you think Soleimani flew into Iraq? To set up a soup kitchen? Or was he planing more attacks? Never mind the fact that he has been involved in many past American and Muslim deaths. The world is better off without him.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Where is the evidence of imminent attack? If it is true then Congress should have been informed. Now we need to see the evidence, or do you just except anything that the Trump administration tells you. Oh, that's right, I forgot, you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    Where is the evidence of imminent attack? If it is true then Congress should have been informed. Now we need to see the evidence, or do you just except anything that the Trump administration tells you. Oh, that's right, I forgot, you do.
                    This is the kind of nuttery that makes it literally impossible to take you seriously.

Comment

• 81147712_10220951132150802_6695501852915531776_n.jpg
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Where is the evidence of imminent attack? If it is true then Congress should have been informed. Now we need to see the evidence, or do you just except anything that the Trump administration tells you. Oh, that's right, I forgot, you do.
                        A complete list of times Obama informed congress before a drone strike or a special forces strike:

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          A complete list of times Obama informed congress before a drone strike or a special forces strike:

Pelosi is just mad that Democrats didn't have the opportunity to warn their terrorist buddies.

Comment

According to this article

"President Obama notified the Gang of Eight in 2011 that he had authorized a raid targeting Osama bin Laden, Republican Mike Rogers said at the time."

Surely you'd agree that that was the highest stakes targeted killing that he authorized and the clearest analog to this recent one.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              According to this article

"President Obama notified the Gang of Eight in 2011 that he had authorized a raid targeting Osama bin Laden, Republican Mike Rogers said at the time."

Surely you'd agree that that was the highest stakes targeted killing that he authorized and the clearest analog to this recent one.
                              And how many drone strikes and special forces raids were carried out?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And how many drone strikes and special forces raids were carried out?
                                Moving the goal posts, huh?

Comment