Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's the Economy, Stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I'm not even trying to deal with the underlying "why" -- because to most Americans, perception is reality.
    Therefore, those who influence perception...

Democracy at its finest.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      I saw a map of Senegal, once. I was peeking in the window of Our President's office, and he had a book - an atlas! - open on the Desk. The guards caught me peeking, and (quite rightly) told me not to get ideas above my station. I went back to my work, planting bananas. But boy did I have a story to tell my friends!
      Et tous ont dit, je ne te crois pas, paysan.

Comment

Serous question. Is anybody alleging that he's continuing to do that, or has done that since being elected?
        Has anybody suggested he's repented, or asked for forgiveness, let alone admitted to it?

Same answer, I'm thinking.

I generally wait for an apology before I start my forgiving. I guess you're just a better man, CP.

Also, "serious."

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Depends on what your definition of "stagnant" is. Like I said earlier, relative to what amount of debt that was incurred, the expansion of government, and the amount of money that was pumped (and still is being pumped) into the system by the central bank only to get a less than 3% annual gdp number to me is pretty stagnant. But I agree that nothing has changed much from Obama to Trump, including ever increasing debt.
          I believe the evidence cited concerning the nature of economic growth cited and drop in unemployment the economy during the Obama administration was not stagnant. The rate of increasing debt has been accelerated during the Trump administration.

Comment

Dennis Muilenburg resigns.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              I believe the evidence cited concerning the nature of economic growth cited and drop in unemployment the economy during the Obama administration was not stagnant. The rate of increasing debt has been accelerated during the Trump administration.
              It doesn't surprise me. Folks under the yoke of partisan allegiances rarely can see economic matters objectively, and this sadly goes for both pro-Obama and pro-Trump supporters.

Comment

With any presidential election, the current (or expected) economy plays a huge part.

This is not an "I HATE TRUMP" thread - it's simply a thread to keep track of where we are with the economy, NOR does a robust economy offset the fact that Trump can be a real !$@&^!$.

Even CNN notes the "good news" for Trump....

Post-Impeachment, CNN Admits US Economy Received Best Ranking in Nearly 20 Years

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41572[/ATTACH] -- [ATTACH=CONFIG]41573[/ATTACH]
                Indeed:

And here we are ...
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  It doesn't surprise me. Folks under the yoke of partisan allegiances rarely can see economic matters objectively, and this sadly goes for both pro-Obama and pro-Trump supporters.
                  I do't pretend to have a solid understanding of economics. I admit I've gotten in the habit of lumping the economy with the admin simply because so many talk about it that way. In reality, the relationship between policy and economics is complex.

Not that it matters to the politics - people vote their wallets and tend to preserve admins when the economy is good for them. It's not so much that they believe this admin's policies are definitely causing the improvements; it's more that they don't want to rock an unsteady boat.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    I do't pretend to have a solid understanding of economics. I admit I've gotten in the habit of lumping the economy with the admin simply because so many talk about it that way. In reality, the relationship between policy and economics is complex.

Not that it matters to the politics - people vote their wallets and tend to preserve admins when the economy is good for them. It's not so much that they believe this admin's policies are definitely causing the improvements; it's more that they don't want to rock an unsteady boat.
                    It's good to be educated about it so folks don't get blind-sided. But this is why I pray things don't unwind before 2020. With the cast of potential democratic nominees and their insane policies, Trump must win at all cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Again . . . from my first post in this thread:

By far 90%+ of the recovery of the economy occurred under Obama from the Crash under Bush and the trend continued under Trump. A actually do not attribute the recovery primarily the responsibility of either Obama nor Trump, but the industry and commercial companies of the USA, and a natural recovery.

It's USA economy stupid, and not the Obama nor Trump economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        In the minds of Americans this is Trump's economy, and Trump did push through many business friendly policies.

Last edited by seer; 12-23-2019, 01:28 PM.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          It's good to be educated about it so folks don't get blind-sided. But this is why I pray things don't unwind before 2020. With the cast of potential democratic nominees and their insane policies, Trump must win at all cost.
                          Yep - money comes first. A president that abuses power, lies, regards the constitutional emoluments clause 'silly', gets other people imprisoned following his orders etc etc- these are all ok as long as my bank account looks good.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Again . . . from my first post in this thread:

By far 90%+ of the recovery of the economy occurred under Obama from the Crash under Bush and the trend continued under Trump. A actually do not attribute the recovery primarily the responsibility of either Obama nor Trump, but the industry and commercial companies of the USA, and a natural recovery.

While Obama did help the economy recover after the housing crash, he did not grow the economy. It was stagnant under him and unemployment rose as well as prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              In the minds of Americans this is Trump's economy, and Trump did push through many business friendly policies.
                              Many of them at great expense to the environment.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...n-achievements

Here are 15 impacts to the environment listed by NatGeo:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...d-environment/

Not just air, but water quality, wildlife management, and reduction of public lands/National Parks.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                Yep - money comes first. A president that abuses power, lies, regards the constitutional emoluments clause 'silly', gets other people imprisoned following his orders etc etc- these are all ok as long as my bank account looks good.
                                I don't own any stocks if that's what you were implying. I run my own internet business so I'm not really reliant on how the economy does, and I live a very minimalist lifestyle. I don't even own an automobile. So you might want to check your judgmentalism

Comment