Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's the Economy, Stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Yep - money comes first. A president that abuses power, lies, regards the constitutional emoluments clause 'silly', gets other people imprisoned following his orders etc etc- these are all ok as long as my bank account looks good.
    Don't be such an ass. The economic policies of those clowns would hurt EVERYONE.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Don't be such an ass. The economic policies of those clowns would hurt EVERYONE.
      Instead, Trump's dance toward the destruction of some of the most critical distinguishing elements of our republic is harmless?
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• There are a butt-load of different "Unemployment" numbers. The most frequently used, U3, may be the least informative. I think the U6 which I cited earlier in the thread accounts better for the cases you're citing. It peaked early under Obama, then dropped. Under Trump, it has continued the drop that began under Obama, and recently reached the level where it was at the beginning of Bush 43.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Et tous ont dit, je ne te crois pas, paysan.
          The President says that simple folk like me don't need no fancy languages. That's for smart folks who like to talk about matters way above me. I'm supposing you're one of them, you sure talk like one.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            While Obama did help the economy recover after the housing crash, he did not grow the economy. It was stagnant under him and unemployment rose as well as prices.
            This is not true, but I'm curious where you heard it.

Well, that explains it.

Do you know why they call it the Moonie Times?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              The President says that simple folk like me don't need no fancy languages. That's for smart folks who like to talk about matters way above me. I'm supposing you're one of them, you sure talk like one.
              All of West Africa is francophone until you hit Nigeria.

Comment

Moi, je viens pas de l'Afrique ouest, je viens d'ailleurs. Mais peu importe, nous discutons en anglais, c'est plus facile, ne c'est pas?

That's what the President typed in for me. I guess you understand it, at least.

Comment

Moi, je [ne] viens pas de l'Afrique ouest, je viens d'ailleurs. Mais peu importe, nous discutons en anglais, c'est plus facile, [n'est-ce pas]?
                  Plus heureux.

That's what the President typed in for me. I guess you understand it, at least.
                  The President is your secretary?

Comment

Plus heureux.

The President is your secretary?
                    We're a small nation, not like your grand one. I'm his gardener when I'm not planting bananas.

Comment

We're a small nation, not like your grand one. I'm his gardener when I'm not planting bananas.
                      And he's the president when he's not your secretary.

Comment

Bob Hearts Abishola
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is not true, but I'm curious where you heard it.

Well, that explains it.

Do you know why they call it the Moonie Times?
                          Ah, ad hom. Nice. Seems that is your standard response lately. Attack the source!

You realize that is a fallacy, right?

Comment

Ah, ad hom. Nice. Seems that is your standard response lately. Attack the source!

Not always Sparko. In this case it is quite appropriate:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...t-a-crossroads

Source: above

Until 2010, The Washington Times was also owned by Moon's New World Communications, an international media conglomerate similar to Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, which owns Fox News. The conglomerate was directly affiliated with Moon's Unification Church.

A request for comment from the Unification Church, widely known for conducting controversial mass weddings, was not immediately returned.

But Steve Hassan, a former "Moonie," or follower of the church who now counsels people who want to exit cults, says politics was deeply entwined with the church and the paper from the start. He recalls being asked in the 1970s to fast for three days on the steps of the U.S. Capitol Building for Richard Nixon's election, "because God wanted Nixon to be president," according to the church.

"Really, it was that Moon wanted to influence the establishments and he wanted to be accepted by the power brokers," says Hassan. The Washington Times, says Hassan, was a perfect way for Moon to wield that influence.

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Not always Sparko. In this case it is quite appropriate:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...t-a-crossroads

Source: above

Until 2010, The Washington Times was also owned by Moon's New World Communications, an international media conglomerate similar to Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, which owns Fox News. The conglomerate was directly affiliated with Moon's Unification Church.

A request for comment from the Unification Church, widely known for conducting controversial mass weddings, was not immediately returned.

But Steve Hassan, a former "Moonie," or follower of the church who now counsels people who want to exit cults, says politics was deeply entwined with the church and the paper from the start. He recalls being asked in the 1970s to fast for three days on the steps of the U.S. Capitol Building for Richard Nixon's election, "because God wanted Nixon to be president," according to the church.

"Really, it was that Moon wanted to influence the establishments and he wanted to be accepted by the power brokers," says Hassan. The Washington Times, says Hassan, was a perfect way for Moon to wield that influence.

© Copyright Original Source

Still, you are just rejecting the "facts" because you don't like the source, instead of addressing the actual "facts". Which is a fallacy. The chart on the article was by Gallup.

Comment

You're a lot of things, Sparko, but a careful reader is not one of them. As has been pointed out, with charts even, it's not true that the economy was stagnant under Obama, or that unemployment rose, or that inflation grew. So when I see something like this:
                                While Obama did help the economy recover after the housing crash, he did not grow the economy. It was stagnant under him and unemployment rose as well as prices.

It's entirely natural to ask why you're saying things that just ain't so.

It's not true because the actual figures show it's not true, not because it was written in the Moonie Times. On the other hand, it wasn't true, and it was written in the Moonie Times.

That's an important fact to note, and something I've noted often enough to put them in my "fake news" bin.

If you were more interested in the truth than in "being right," you'd do the same.

Comment