Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Isn�t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    McConnell also said that he was coordinating the trial with the White House council, in other words with the defendent.

Btw, Lindsey Graham said essentially the same thing "I'm not trying to be a fair juror."
    So the Senate is behaving exactly like the House. Partisan all the way!

Told you so.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      So the Senate is behaving exactly like the House. Partisan all the way!

Told you so.
      Sorry Tea, but your posts make it obvious that you're simply afraid of what the previously denied documents and witnesses will reveal.

Comment

Sorry Tea, but your posts make it obvious that you're simply afraid of what the previously denied documents and witnesses will reveal.
        I already gave you a completely doable solution. The House can open a new inquiry and issue the subpoenas.

Why are you so afraid of the House conducting a real inquiry? Is it because you know that the Democrats can't prove their case no matter how many witnesses they call?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Can you please provide a cite for this?

Thanks
          Yah

Mitch McConnell: 'I'm not an impartial juror' ahead of Senate impeachment trial

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I already gave you a completely doable solution. The House can open a new inquiry and issue the subpoenas.

Why are you so afraid of the House conducting a real inquiry? Is it because you know that the Democrats can't prove their case no matter how many witnesses they call?

Folks, please. The House has repeatedly said that its impeachment inquiry continues and that it may, given what evidence and testimony it uncovers, consider more articles of impeachment. They don't have to "recall" articles of impeachment to continue to gather evidence for current or future articles.

It's DOJ that's arguing the House's subpoenas are no longer valid after the impeachment vote.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
              This screed appears to have been written without any relevant details or knowledge of the impeachment proceedings after Day 1 or so.

Copious direct evidence and witness testimony has verified and added to the whistleblower complaint. Numerous scholars and a Judiciary Committee report have laid out the constitutional grounds for impeachment, both including abuse of power in their explanations. The Trump administration, like the Nixon administration before it, has obstructed Congress' lawful powers by withholding witnesses and documents, even while it releases highly redacted copies of those documents to private citizens through FOIA.

And the best you can do here is argue that the House should have waited for months or years for SCOTUS to resolve executive privilege claims with officials who, purportedly, have firsthand testimony that would exonerate Trump? While Trump remains completely free to continue engaging in these solicitations and pressure campaigns for his upcoming election.

Weak stuff, folks.

--Sam
              Not as weak as not requesting certiorari

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Executive privilege had nothing to due with the blocking of subpoenas and witnesses. Trump had contempt of congress from the start saying that "I will fight every subpoena."
                Exec Pivilege being the justification and the House never bothered to contest it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Folks, please. The House has repeatedly said that its impeachment inquiry continues and that it may, given what evidence and testimony it uncovers, consider more articles of impeachment. They don't have to "recall" articles of impeachment to continue to gather evidence for current or future articles.

It's DOJ that's arguing the House's subpoenas are no longer valid after the impeachment vote.

--Sam
                  Then go to court and defend their validity instead of whining about the Senate not issuing subpoenas.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Then go to court and defend their validity instead of whining about the Senate not issuing subpoenas.
                    The House is literally doing that right now and has been for longer than y'all have been whining about how that's what it should be doing. It doesn't invalidate or replace the Senate's duty to allow relevant witnesses to be called during the trial.

--Sam

Comment

The House is literally doing that right now and has been for longer than y'all have been whining about how that's what it should be doing. It doesn't invalidate or replace the Senate's duty to allow relevant witnesses to be called during the trial.

--Sam
                      The Senate isn't the prosecution. Relevant witnesses should have been heard in the inquiry. The Senate is working with what the House may eventually send over.

The House didn't bother to seek remedy in their kangaroo court. The Senate is under no obligation to continue the witch hunt.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Heard another theory attributed to Mark Lavin that the House is going to drag this out until the election just in case RBG has to leave the Court.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The Senate isn't the prosecution. Relevant witnesses should have been heard in the inquiry. The Senate is working with what the House may eventually send over.
                          The Senate isn't the defense either, but they are sure acting like it. Relevant witnesses should have been heard, but were blocked by the "defendent" from being heard. Yes, I know, the courts. But because the charge, "abuse of power" has to do with soliciting foreign interference in the upcoming election, Congress can not wait for the courts and Trumps stalling tactics.
                          The House didn't bother to seek remedy in their kangaroo court. The Senate is under no obligation to continue the witch hunt.
                          Yes, they did, and as Sam has informed you, they still are, but the trial can not wait that long for reasons stipulated above, not to mention the fact that he is also trying to run out the clock on being indicted for crimes committed outside of the Presidency. Remember, he can't be indicted for crimes while President.

Comment

The House managers are what the House will send over. They are the prosecution. And typically, if I know my way around a courthouse, prosecutors tend to be able to call witnesses.

Of course, what you're arguing here isn't merely factually incoherent: it's wholly inconsistent with what you were arguing a month ago. Then, you argued that Trump's "due process rights" were being denied by the House because, among other things, he couldn't call witnesses. It was explained that Trump doesn't have that "right" during an investigation or inquiry or even have the full array of due process rights afforded to defendants in criminal cases. You and others argued that the Senate must allow Trump to call "live witnesses", even after it was noted that the Clinton trial's witnesses came in the form of videotaped depositions. Yet, here we are, a month later: Trump reportedly wants to call witnesses at his trial, McConnell does not, and y'all are arguing that the Senate can "set it own rules" and deny witnesses if it wants.

I don't expect it but, at some point, someone in the right-wing media sphere might realize that calling witnesses has a better than 50/50 chance of helping, rather than hurting, Trump. The McGahn ruling is notable in part because it stated that, while McGahn must appear and honor a subpoena, he doesn't have to answer questions

Comment

The House managers are what the House will send over.
                              By the way, Sam, the glaring hole in your "grand jury" analogy....

Nobody goes to a grand jury and says, "OK, people, we have a really bad guy, and we need you to help us figure out what to charge him with".

You figure out what the charges are, THEN you go the Grand Jury and say, "here is the accused, here is the criminal charge, and here is the evidence...."

From there, you either get a true bill or a no bill, then go to trial (or not).
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not as weak as not requesting certiorari
                                Or quickly abandoning their subpoena when someone asks the courts for guidance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment