Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Here is a page with responses by some other Evangelicals in addition to Franklin.

I was particularly interested in the quote from CT honcho Galli, author of the article under discussion, where he characterizes himself and his associates as "elite" Evangelicals, and considers Trump supporters "alien."
    Yeah, that quote from Galli about being an "elite" evangelical is quite eye-opening, especially his sneering at people who don't have college degrees, or are working "blue collar" jobs. He sounds very much like the pharisee who thanks God that he's better than everybody else.

And now he's aligning himself with the party of abortion and "gender fluidity" to convict an innocent man of crimes the evidence says he never committed.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Jay Parini shares his opinion in the article 'Christianity Today' anti-Trump editorial is a sign of things to come:

It's not a stretch to say that white evangelicals put Trump into office in 2016. About 80% of them voted for him. They did so because of the abortion issue, mostly. They wanted pro-life judges throughout the justice system. But this was a devil's bargain, at best.

Younger evangelicals, those under 45, have been slowly but steadily moving away from Trump during the past two years or so, unhappy about his example.

A key topic that has driven them away is immigration. Loving your neighbor as yourself has always been a bedrock Christian value. And Trump's stance on immigrants (especially those of color) has upset the younger generation of evangelicals, with two-thirds of them saying in surveys that immigrants strengthen our country, bringing their work ethic and talents with them from Mexico or Central America or Syria.
      Humility lies at the heart of Christian behavior. As does honesty.

In these, Trump has set a terrible example, and he's now been taken down for this by an important Christian voice. If only another 10 percent of evangelicals take this seriously, and I suspect they will, Donald J. Trump's presidency is destined for the ash heap of history.
      I do not feel very certain that very many evangelicals will follow CT but I do hope so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Jay Parini shares his opinion in the article 'Christianity Today' anti-Trump editorial is a sign of things to come:

I do not feel very certain that very many evangelicals will follow CT but I do hope so.

Yes, because clearly you're so very concerned to maintain the purity of Christian conduct.
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          Yes, because clearly you're so very concerned to maintain the purity of Christian conduct.
          I am concerned about the purity of human conduct and that of course includes Christians.

Comment

I am concerned about the purity of human conduct and that of course includes Christians.
            Of course you are. Strangely, Christians seem to be the ones who most need your concern. Must just be coincidence, or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              Of course you are. Strangely, Christians seem to be the ones who most need your concern. Must just be coincidence, or something.
              Not Christians in general but quite many white Christian evangelicals support what is wrong and when I discuss with them, I share my opinion. And since it is a topic often discussed here it is not much of a coincidence. Even if it was not it would still not make my points any less important. You seem to be focusing on anything but the important topic.

Comment

Not Christians in general but quite many white Christian evangelicals support what is wrong and when I discuss with them, I share my opinion. And since it is a topic often discussed here it is not much of a coincidence. Even if it was not it would still not make my points any less important. You seem to be focusing on anything but the important topic.
                Do you find that makes you uncomfortable? That's a surprise to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yeah, yeah, yeah. That was the excuse presented by the Democrats for not wanting to wait for the courts to resolve the issue between Executive Privilege and Congressional subpoenas and why they had to pass at lightning speed this impeachment. And yet now we see that was yet another lie as they are stalling the process indefinitely.
                  Don't act like such an air head, rogue. Executive priviledge had nothing to do with it and you know it. Trump publicly stated at the very beginning of this process that he was going to challenge every legal subpoena whether for witnesses or documents, not for national security reasons, but just to obstruct the congress from carrying out their oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the U.S. and to check the abuse of executive power. Try being a defender of your country rather than a shill for your rogue and corrupt party.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Calvin ball. It's really easy to confirm a made upvdiagnosis. Because you can just make up the symptoms as you go along, matching them to whatever person you want to degrade using the term.

ETA. Oh look, I'm a time traveler- I answered MM before he posted the reply I'm answering
                    Yeah, it's because when I try to edit a post from my phone, a bug causes it to be deleted instead, so I sometimes resubmit a post to fix errors and then delete the previous one. Usually I catch it before anybody responds. Occasionally I don't.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Yeah, it's because when I try to edit a post from my phone, a bug causes it to be deleted instead, so I sometimes resubmit a post to fix errors and then delete the previous one. Usually I catch it before anybody responds. Occasionally I don't.
                      Ii understand. I have the same problem with the mobile app, so I've got it set to full site on my phone. Fun to time travel though
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yeah, that quote from Galli about being an "elite" evangelical is quite eye-opening, especially his sneering at people who don't have college degrees, or are working "blue collar" jobs. He sounds very much like the pharisee who thanks God that he's better than everybody else.

And now he's aligning himself with the party of abortion and "gender fluidity" to convict an innocent man of crimes the evidence says he never committed.
                        The evidence quite clearly shows he did commit them. That is why the op-ed was written.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          TDS is a derogatory term applied by Trump-supporting evangelicals rather than admit they have hitched their wagon to someone with a severely disordered personality about whom nothing good can be said categorically.
                          And yet you can see it for yourself virtually each and every day.

What else explains the compulsion to physically assault someone just for wearing a red hat with MAGA written on it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, let me get this straight. When CT says:
                            They are not enemies of the cross.
                            Correct. Because Christianity Today (the magazine - the company) did not say it - it was an editorial. Nor was it the sum of all they say.

But when Tassman says:

Then he is an enemy of the cross?
                            Because of the totality of his presence on Tweb, yes.

You claimed the last part here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post693929

I can see Tassman taking it a bit further than CT but they are certainly making some clear statements as well.
                            Tassman is an anti-Christian bigot who is not here for the fellowship, but to do battles with Christians. He never encourages Christians or their work, nor provided guidance for living the Christian life.

Anything else, Charles?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am not sure you got the point.
                              Yeah, what was it again?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                And yet you can see it for yourself virtually each and every day.

What else explains the compulsion to physically assault someone just for wearing a red hat with MAGA written on it?
                                There seems to be a significant leap between garden variety opposition to Trump (i.e. Sparko just labeled Mark Galli with the term) and the desire to commit physical assaults. Which is it? Is this an umbrella term that can cover all who oppose Trump, or does it refer to those with rage that leads to physical violence or personal harassment?
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment