Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Confederate flags again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And?
    And so I know what I am talking about. I have lived in several southern states (dad was in the military) growing up in the 60s-80s. I have a pretty broad view of what Southern culture was during those times and today.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      And so I know what I am talking about. I have lived in several southern states (dad was in the military) growing up in the 60s-80s. I have a pretty broad view of what Southern culture was during those times and today.
      And is the view of Southern culture that blacks from Dixie see the Confederate flag as a benign symbol?

Comment

Oh please, they were still lynching blacks not long before you grew up there. Besides, having a broad view of what the culture was like tells you nothing about what blacks think when they see confederate flags or statues of racist leaders who fought to keep them enslaved.

Comment

Oh please, they were still lynching blacks not long before you grew up there. Besides, having a broad view of what the culture was like tells you nothing about what blacks think when they see confederate flags or statues of racist leaders who fought to keep them enslaved.
          Does rogue need to post the photos again?

And it was the Democrats who were the ones who fought to keep them enslaved. And how many blacks are democrats?

Comment

Does rogue need to post the photos again?
            No, that was irellevant. They could be ignorant of history, they could be earning money, or they could just be nuts.
            And it was the Democrats who were the ones who fought to keep them enslaved. And how many blacks are democrats?
            Political party doesn't matter, different time, different party, it was the south.

Comment

No, that was irellevant. They could be ignorant of history, they could be earning money, or they could just be nuts.

Political party doesn't matter, different time, different party, it was the south.

Comment

Political party is relevant?

But is the religion of those who enslaved blacks, who pushed for segregation laws, who accepted Jim Crow as some status quo, at all relevant?

Some blacks argue the Christian religion is the religion that enslaved and persecuted them, and also argue that is reason to not be Christian.

Yes Democrats were the party most closely associated with slavery. And Christianity is the religion most closely associated with slavery in the Americas.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

But is the religion of those who enslaved blacks, who pushed for segregation laws, who accepted Jim Crow as some status quo, at all relevant?

Some blacks argue the Christian religion is the religion that enslaved and persecuted them, and also argue that is reason to not be Christian.

Yes Democrats were the party most closely associated with slavery. And Christianity is the religion most closely associated with slavery in the Americas.
                  Christianity didn't enslave anyone. Anyone can claim to be a Christian. It doesn't make them one, or even mean they are following Christ. But slavery was the official policy of the Democrat Party. And they are still enslaving blacks by trying to keep them on food stamps and government support. Their policies are geared toward making everyone completely dependent on the Nanny State. Once someone is dependent on the Democrats for their livelyhood, then they have no choice but to keep electing them into power. Slavery.

So yeah it is ironic that blacks were enslaved by the Democrats then, and now they are volunteering to be slaves of the Democrat party today.

Comment

You seem to have left out for some reason that Christianity was responsible for ending slavery in the parts of the world that they are dominant in or controlled. The same cannot be said for areas where Islam is predominant.

Why was that?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You seem to have left out for some reason that Christianity was responsible for ending slavery in the parts of the world that they are dominant in or controlled. The same cannot be said for areas where Islam is predominant.

Why was that?
                      Why did I leave Islam out of this discussion? Because Islam has had little impact on the history of slavery in the Americas. It would be different if then discussion revolved on slavery in Europe or Africa.

Why did I leave Christianity's role in abolition of slavery and the slave trade? Because the question of whether slavery, segregation, and denial of rights is consistent with the Christian faith is included in this topic. Many thought those things were consistent.

Sparks brought in the past association of Democrats with slavery, implying that their past views are pertinent. If he is right, then the same rationale applies to whether a black American ought to be Christian.

It is not my argument.

Comment

Why did I leave Islam out of this discussion...
                        Hold it right there. I merely used Islam as a counter example. An illustration. The question that I specifically asked was
                        You seem to have left out for some reason that Christianity was responsible for ending slavery in the parts of the world that they are dominant in or controlled.

So why did you ignore that?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Christianity didn't enslave anyone. Anyone can claim to be a Christian. It doesn't make them one, or even mean they are following Christ. But slavery was the official policy of the Democrat Party. And they are still enslaving blacks by trying to keep them on food stamps and government support. Their policies are geared toward making everyone completely dependent on the Nanny State. Once someone is dependent on the Democrats for their livelyhood, then they have no choice but to keep electing them into power. Slavery.

So yeah it is ironic that blacks were enslaved by the Democrats then, and now they are volunteering to be slaves of the Democrat party today.
                          While I disagree strongly with the Dems on most everything, I wonder if merely providing assistance is a type of enslavement. Which places charities as a form of oppression. Does an ongoing soup kitchen in a neighborhood result is a similar "enslavement"?

If so, that would put the corporal works of mercy as a type of oppression. And I disagree strongly.

Is there a party that is without sin?
                          Last edited by simplicio; 12-20-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

While I disagree strongly with the Dems on most everything, I wonder if merely providing assistance is a type of enslavement. Which places charities as a form of oppression. Does an ongoing soup kitchen in a neighborhood result is a similar "enslavement"?
                            ?
                            Christian charity is voluntary help by people to help other people get back on their feet and provide for themselves.

Liberal "charity" is stealing money from people who they think have too much to keep poor people dependent on them for life. That way they make everyone equally poor and dependent on the government (read Democrats) for their income, healthcare, food, etc.

Comment

Christian charity is voluntary help by people to help other people get back on their feet and provide for themselves.

Liberal "charity" is stealing money from people who they think have too much to keep poor people dependent on them for life. That way they make everyone equally poor and dependent on the government (read Democrats) for their income, healthcare, food, etc.
                              Always wondered why the left doesn't see coveting other people's stuff as being greedy.

Comment

Hold it right there. I merely used Islam as a counter example. An illustration. The question that I specifically asked was

So why did you ignore that?
                                I answered above.

Past positions is a counterproductive argument. I have not denied that the Dems supported slavery, Jim Crow, and lynching.

Yet each of those policies happened in a Cjristian culture

Comment