Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's obviously a tool and mouthpiece for others. Those who can see the obvious naturally discount her and don't take her seriously.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Right.
      You want to go into the details of the science itself MM? To get at why those that are claiming there is reason to doubt it are viewed as not being able to think objectively?

I didn't think so.

So you should take a less pompous approach to what you dont know enough about to discuss intelligently.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-16-2019, 04:34 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        You want to go into the details of the science itself MM? To get at why those that are claiming there is reason to doubt it are viewed as not being able to think objectively?

I didn't think so.

So you should take a less pompous approach to what you dont know enough about to discuss intelligently.
        Right.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I'm just wondering why anyone cares about Greta at all. At either side of this debate. Its just an opinionated girl. For better or worse. I understand her first exposure, which was this... I can't even remember what, but it made sense that it'd get a mention in a newspaper. But for it to still be talked about, and referred to in media, that's honestly really weird.

People fine combing her statements for various errors, or ideosyncracies in what she's doing... its a fricking girl, with a microphone and a podium. Why are we still talking about this?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            There's plenty of reason to be "alarmed", if by that you mean you see a problem with climate change, and you believe there needs to be political action taken.

However it is rather sad to see crowds of celebrities being the ones who are the faces of this. I believe this says something about the scientific community, who have done a phenomenally poor job at communicating what they're doing to the public. There's still too much ivory tower mentalism present in the institutes and if it were up to me they'd be doing an order of magnitude more outreach.

I guess she's spured people to action. Hopefully in the right direction. But I despise singular faces representing entire groups. Like creationists finding flaws in Darwin and feeling that they've descredited the Theory of Evolution by doing that. Or people nitpicking weird antisemitisms in G. K. Chesterton and using that to attack Catholicism.

Greta is easy to criticize. She's a fricking child. Her statements, while poignant, also suffer from not always being connected directly to the facts. Gore was the same who was rather out of touch with the scientific community, and used way outdated ideas.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Right.
              Oh, I'm ready to go into it any time you are MM. Where would you like to begin? The raw measurements? The measured monotonic rise in co2 that unlike many naturally driven warming cycles is directly coincident with the warming? Or its correlation with known human output increases over natural sources. The physics of greenhouse gases and how they help retain heat? Whercwould you like to start?
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Oh, I'm ready to go into it any time you are MM. Where would you like to begin? The raw measurements? The measured monotonic rise in co2 that unlike many naturally driven warming cycles is directly coincident with the warming? Or its correlation with known human output increases over natural sources. The physics of greenhouse gases and how they help retain heat? Whercwould you like to start?
                We've been around the horn on this topic before, and neither one is going to convince the other to change his mind, but you seem to have a rather desperate need to validate your opinion, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Comment

We've been around the horn on this topic before, and neither one is going to convince the other to change his mind, but you seem to have a rather desperate need to validate your opinion, and I'm not entirely sure why.
                  Actually, we have never engaged in a discussion of the science at any in-depth level. You have refused to do so. The only tree we've been around is me asking you to engage the topic and you refusing.

And characterizing my response as a 'need to validate my opinion' is false. I have only a desire to see you face the truth and stop echoing misinformation about a topic you obviously know little to nothing about. The challenge then is can you accept responsibility for the fact you don't know enough to be making absolute statements about whether AGW is real or not? You don't know enough to know if it is or is not.

Comment

Actually, we have never engaged in a discussion of the science at any in-depth level. You have refused to do so. The only tree we've been around is me asking you to engage the topic and you refusing.

And characterizing my response as a 'need to validate my opinion' is false. I have only a desire to see you face the truth and stop echoing misinformation about a topic you obviously know little to nothing about. The challenge then is can you accept responsibility for the fact you don't know enough to be making absolute statements about whether AGW is real or not? You don't know enough to know if it is or is not.
                    Right.

Comment

Right.
                      I think you just proved my point. You've been given the opportunity to discuss the facts many times. And you have refused each and every time, just like you are right now.

Comment

Right.
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Right.
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Right.
                        ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                          ?
                          !

Comment

• greta2.jpg

And she has $240,000 worth of Bananas!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]41445[/ATTACH]

And she has $240,000 worth of Bananas!!!!

Now that is undeniable hypocrisy. Even her proponents can't deny that that is Greta being hypocritical, even those who pooh-poohed the video I posted of her Tesla full of that kind of stuff.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                Now that is undeniable hypocrisy. Even her proponents can't deny that that is Greta being hypocritical, even those who pooh-poohed the video I posted of her Tesla full of that kind of stuff.
                                You're just a big meanie for picking on a child.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment