Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, there ya have it! Obama set the precedent!
    I know you're trolling and we've covered this before but the Obama administration provided thousands of documents and allowed numerous officials, including AG Holder, to testify in the Fast & Furious investigations.

If Obama set the standard, Trump is nowhere close to meeting it.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      I know you're trolling and we've covered this before but the Obama administration provided thousands of documents
      You're familiar with the term "document dump"?

and allowed numerous officials, including AG Holder, to testify in the Fast & Furious investigations.

--Sam
      From less than two years ago, May 2018...

BREAKING: DOJ Announces Fast and Furious Documents Withheld by Eric Holder Will Be Released

The Department of Justice announced Wednesday additional documents related to the Operation Fast and Furious scandal during the Obama administration will be released to the House Oversight Committee. The documents were previously withheld by Attorney General Eric Holder, who was voted in civil and criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to turn them over. President Obama invoked executive privilege in June 2012 to prevent their release just hours before the contempt vote was held.

Yay, AG Holder!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• A politician releasing "thousands of documents" is an old dodge used by both sides. What always gets left out is often these thousands of documents conspicuously exclude ones that are pertinent including ones specifically requested.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I know you're trolling and we've covered this before but the Obama administration provided thousands of documents and allowed numerous officials, including AG Holder, to testify in the Fast & Furious investigations.

--Sam
          During the collusion delusion Trump ordered that every single document involved be preserved so that absolutely everything was turned over. Likewise he made everyone without exception available to Mueller and his staff. He claimed Executive Privilege on nothing. While he's followed a different course with the impeachment, I cannot think of another politician who has ever done that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're familiar with the term "document dump"?

From less than two years ago, May 2018...

BREAKING: DOJ Announces Fast and Furious Documents Withheld by Eric Holder Will Be Released

The Department of Justice announced Wednesday additional documents related to the Operation Fast and Furious scandal during the Obama administration will be released to the House Oversight Committee. The documents were previously withheld by Attorney General Eric Holder, who was voted in civil and criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to turn them over. President Obama invoked executive privilege in June 2012 to prevent their release just hours before the contempt vote was held.

Yay, AG Holder!

We know it won't happen but any of you could easily remember or learn about the Obama administration's compliance with congressional investigations into Wide Receiver/Fast & Furious over many years and see just how completely different that response was compared to the Trump administration's attempt to block all witnesses and withhold all documents.

For a couple of guys who were just trying to roast someone yesterday for 'Whataboutisms', this is quite embarrassing.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              A politician releasing "thousands of documents" is an old dodge used by both sides. What always gets left out is often these thousands of documents conspicuously exclude ones that are pertinent including ones specifically requested.
              Hence, the "document dump". This is often done in response to requests for documents during discovery.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

During the collusion delusion Trump ordered that every single document involved be preserved so that absolutely everything was turned over. Likewise he made everyone without exception available to Mueller and his staff. He claimed Executive Privilege on nothing. While he's followed a different course with the impeachment, I cannot think of another politician who has ever done that.
                Trump refused to testify before the Mueller investigation, as did his son. Mueller indicated to Congress that Trump was untruthful in his written answers to the investigation, an implication strongly confirmed during the Stone trial.

Federal documents must be preserved. Campaign documents must be preserved if there's a preservation order, as there was during the Mueller investigation. Trying to pin a gold star on Trump for that is ... not impressive.

And you still have avoided my question regarding executive privilege.

--Sam

Comment

• And, lest I forget, the Mueller report explained that its investigation was hindered or obstructed, in part, by documentary evidence that was destroyed or inaccessible due to encryption. So even the idea that Trump opened the floodgates on document production is lacking accuracy.

--Sam

Comment

We know it won't happen ...
                    Who's 'we', Sam? Take this "us vs them" crap and....

Comment

Who's 'we', Sam? Take this "us vs them" crap and....
                      If, in the late year of 2020, you're referring to years of document production by the Obama administration for numerous congressional investigations a "document dump", I think my point rests on solid ground.

--Sam

Comment

If, in the late year of 2020, you're referring to years of document production by the Obama administration for numerous congressional investigations a "document dump", I think my point rests on solid ground.

--Sam
                        Well, the only other guy around here who uses the "we" is JimL, so you're in good company.

Comment

Odd considering how the others who were subpoenaed stated that they were specifically watching how the Kupperman case resolved and a few even talked about joining it.

Of course he dropped it. When they abandoned the subpoena that means that Kupperman has nothing to resolve any longer. How that proved that "the stated reason by House counsel at the time ... proved sound" is anyone's guess.

IIRC, Nadler subpoenaed McGahn whereas Schiff subpoenaed Kupperman, Bolton etc. It is the legality of Schiff's subpoenas that has been called into question.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Why would those leaders pretend to be impartial, when several members of the opposing party have openly and in some cases repeatedly opined on Bad Orange Man's guilt?
                            https://www.justsecurity.org/67863/e...egal-concerns/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Well a fair Senate trial would...
                              ...be one that pleases the Democrats. Anything short of "throw the bum out" will simply not be tolerated, regardless of the shoddy way the House portion was run.

Comment

...be one that pleases the Democrats. Anything short of "throw the bum out" will simply not be tolerated, regardless of the shoddy way the House portion was run.
                                Democrats: "We should have a fair, impartial trial with witness testimony from relevant officials who were served lawful subpoenas."

Republicans: "Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?! Anything to win, anything to win."

I am not at all sure folks on the right are listening to themselves anymore and fairly sure that their sense of ethics requires that they not be listening to themselves.

--Sam

Comment