Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    And all y'all can come up with is "Well, he's the president and we don't very much care what he does or why"
    You can be a real buckethead, ya know it, Sam? You pretend to want to be all prim and proper, then you post this kind of crap.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You can be a real buckethead, ya know it, Sam? You pretend to want to be all prim and proper, then you post this kind of crap.
      That's an accurate representation of the argument being used. As a counter to the fact that Trump's actions were explicitly and repeatedly against the national interest, as defined by his own national security team, and to the fact that Trump's propagation of conspiracy theories comes from Russian disinformation efforts, as defined by his own intelligence agency chiefs, folks around here have responded quite frequently with "He's the president, can do what he wants, and unlike those career 'experts', actually gets things done like a businessman."

Reasonable people would be highly concerned that the President was, at best, mentally compromised by Russian disinformation and acting against the consensus view of the nation's interests, even if his apparent pursuit of personal interests was merely coincidental. But a lot of folks around here don't seem to be concerned even a little.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

That's an accurate representation of the argument being used.
        Nope, it's just the Samitized version.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By all means, restate the argument, retaining all its elements, in a better light and point me toward the place where others have expressed concern regarding the President's actions or repetition of what his IC have labeled as Russian disinformation.

Otherwise, my point stands.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

So, once again, the best case scenario here is that the President is so addled or otherwise mentally compromised that he believes Putin's conspiracy theories instead of the people he chose to run his diplomatic and national security agencies and he's running foreign policy strategies in pursuit of these conspiracy theories against the national security interests of the nation.
            No, the best case scenario is that President Trump actually knows what he's doing, but you're so steeped in "Orange man bad!" irrationality that you can not allow for that possibility.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

<clears throat>

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              No, the best case scenario is that President Trump actually knows what he's doing, but you're so steeped in "Orange man bad!" irrationality that you can not allow for that possibility.
              QED

Comment

• They act as if his tax returns would reveal what a cheat he has been. If that were the case, the IRS would have arrested him before he even became President. They have all of his returns. People keep forgetting that.

Comment

Sam is so very blessed to have you as his advocate, Charles.
                  Chuck reminds me of "me too" of the flame warriors.

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/wa...igdogmetoo.htm

Comment

<clears throat>

QED
                    I guess if you stand on your head and squint just right and use your wildest imagination.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      They act as if his tax returns would reveal what a cheat he has been. If that were the case, the IRS would have arrested him before he even became President. They have all of his returns. People keep forgetting that.
                      Gotta point out the obvious again that numerous tax evaders have cheated the system for years or decades before they were caught or charged -- and those that were are not the exclusive list of criminal violators.

It's not like the Panama Papers were so long ago that people can legitimately forget about that.

And given the extant reporting and the existence of an IRS whistleblower complaint concerning how Trump's taxes are being audited, it just seems like an awfully stupid limb to climb out on.

--Sam

Comment

Gotta point out the obvious again that numerous tax evaders have cheated the system for years or decades before they were caught or charged -- and those that were are not the exclusive list of criminal violators.

It's not like the Panama Papers were so long ago that people can legitimately forget about that.

And given the extant reporting and the existence of an IRS whistleblower complaint concerning how Trump's taxes are being audited, it just seems like an awfully stupid limb to climb out on.

--Sam
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• As I recall, I linked to a 2007 article alluding to what was then relatively widely-known but little discussed connections between Trump and money laundering cut-outs in service of Russian oligarchs and mafiosos.

That Trump is a tax cheat and worse has been talked about for decades, even before the Atlantic City stuff.

--Sam

Comment

As I recall, I linked to a 2007 article alluding to what was then relatively widely-known but little discussed connections between Trump and money laundering cut-outs in service of Russian oligarchs and mafiosos.

That Trump is a tax cheat and worse has been talked about for decades, even before the Atlantic City stuff.

--Sam
                            And yet, 12 years later,

Who has been charged with this crime?
                            Why did Congress not bother to bring it up?
                            Why did The Muller Report not bother?

The answer seems to be:

You have no evidence to back up a word of it and are spreading insane conspiracy theories.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Trump is audited by the IRS constantly. If they can't find anything illegal to charge him with, what does a bunch of congressmen think they would find? But I am sure they would find something to twist to their own ends.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                And yet, 12 years later,

Who has been charged with this crime?
                                Why did Congress not bother to bring it up?
                                Why did The Muller Report not bother?

The answer seems to be:

You have no evidence to back up a word of it and are spreading insane conspiracy theories.
                                The Trump administration has been preventing Congress from examining his tax returns.

The Mueller investigation was specifically limited to the question of coordination with Russian outfits regarding its disinformation campaign on social media and the DNC/DSCC hack. Trump stated explicitly that Mueller examining his financials would be considered a "red line".

It helps to keep up with the news (from 2017)!

--Sam

Comment