Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Massive Muslim Immigration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
    What you are talking about is what is meant by "contellation of demands" in a particular context that you had not pointed to beforehand. I am not going to restrict my discussion of this important topic to whatever framework or definition you like to point to.

There is no way to define your way out of answering a very basic question that contains the moral challenge as to whether your focus is right or wrong as a nation when your primary concern is your own benefit when confronted with people in need. Seer points to a particular context in which many tend to focus on the negative effects and forget that quite many people are alive, living meaningful lives with hopes and dreams thanks to nations not primarily concerned with their own benefit.
    You obviously didn't read the link, or try to find your own summary of what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to frame the question in any particular context, or define my way out of answering. I'm simply trying to present a framework from which the question can be meaningfully answered. Your kind of simplistic black-and-white thinking is not an asset.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Well, I'm about to take my leave again so I'll just say this:
      Even though you're wrong more often than not () don't be a stranger.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You obviously didn't read the link, or try to find your own summary of what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to frame the question in any particular context, or define my way out of answering. I'm simply trying to present a framework from which the question can be meaningfully answered. Your kind of simplistic black-and-white thinking is not an asset.
        And yet though you are "trying to present a framework from which the question can be meaningfully answered" you have given no answer at all. So though you are not "trying to frame the question in any particular context, or define my way out of answering." it just so happens that no answer was given.

Prediction: No answer will be given in the following post. It is going to contain even more talk about either my understanding, the proper use of concepts or other details that will allow MM to talk about something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Ideally, you don't help others to your own detriment. Put your oxygen mask on first, then help your fellow passengers.
          How is that important with regard to the question I asked?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Y'all can act better and it won't be necessary.

--Sam
            Or you could not be a net nanny. Or start your own web forum and have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              And yet though you are "trying to present a framework from which the question can be meaningfully answered" you have given no answer at all.
              I did answer. I said that it depends on your constellation of demands. If you're looking for a simplistic, one-size fits all answer then I'm afraid I have to disappoint you.

For instance:

Should I help a person who is hungry? You might be inclined to unequivocally answer yes, but what if in helping them, it causes my own children to go hungry? Suddenly, the question is not so easy to answer.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Back on topic to a question that has not been answered:

Is this (the question about the benefit of a given country) the most important question to ask when confronted with people in need? Ideally you don't help others for your own benefit.
                I thought you said this wasn't about personal charity? So why are you asking about personal charity?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I did answer. I said that it depends on your constellation of demands. If you're looking for a simplistic, one-size fits all answer then I'm afraid I have to disappoint you.

For instance:

Should I help a person who is hungry? You might be inclined to unequivocally answer yes, but what if in helping them, it causes my own children to go hungry? Suddenly, the question is not so easy to answer.
                  Ah, so you are building a straw man.

Here is my original question:

Is this the most important question to ask when confronted with people in need? Ideally you don't help others for your own benefit.
                  That does not imply that there is only one question to be asked, it does not imply it is easily asked, it does not imply the answer will always be the same. It only questions or challenges the idea that own benefit should be the first or most important concern. It is not even the main concern in the example you give since in that case you are concerned about your children and not yourself.

If you look at the posts regarding "benefits" and cheap labour and assimilation, you will find the simplicity. It is in those posts you see people forgetting the fact that very many people are alive today and live meaningful lives because of what those countries did. There was no mentioning of that at all. And yet you did not point to "constellation of demands" or point out that there was no size fits all in those cases. Interesting.

Seemingly it was only when someone tried to point out there were other or more concerns that you worried about simplifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I thought you said this wasn't about personal charity? So why are you asking about personal charity?
                    ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      How is that important with regard to the question I asked?
                      How is the question you asked important to anything?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

?
                        you keep asking (and telling us) what we should do. That's personal. as denoted by the use of "YOU"

"Is this (the question about the benefit of a given country) the most important question to ask when confronted with people in need? Ideally you don't help others for your own benefit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          you keep asking (and telling us) what we should do. That's personal. as denoted by the use of "YOU"

"Is this (the question about the benefit of a given country) the most important question to ask when confronted with people in need? Ideally you don't help others for your own benefit."
                          I see that you could read it that way. That is not the intention. The question I asked was clearly concerning countries. I understand the example given could cause a bit of confusion. "Countries don't help others for their own benefit" would have been better.

Comment

I see that you could read it that way. That is not the intention. The question I asked was clearly concerning countries. I understand the example given could cause a bit of confusion. "Countries don't help others for their own benefit" would have been better.
                            But countries SHOULD help others with the health and safety of their own people and nation in mind. It's not an either/or.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              But countries SHOULD help others with the health and safety of their own people and nation in mind. It's not an either/or.
                              Never said it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I'm looking at results like neighborhoods where Sharia law is enforced
                                Is that a bad thing? I seem to recall more than one baptist priest in the US talking about how certain things like spousal abuse should be brought before elders, before its brought before police officers. The Catholic Church itself maintains a religious tribunal for legislating things like divorce and remarriage cases. The hasedic jews maintain their own internal courts for deciding various disputes.

Simply saying "Sharia Law", as if its one simple homogenous thing, doesn't really make sense.

The last time we had one of these conversations I remember people here saying that a place where I went shopping quite frequently was a no-go zone. I think there's a lot of unwarranted alarmism about muslim immigrants.

There are concerns as well, and I definitely agree that the integration process has been slow going. Which means its not a good idea for Denmark to accept a huge amount of immigration like we did during the last refugee crisis.

Comment