Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam View Post
    I'm not aware of any reason for a morning hurricane briefing to the President requiring a large, full-color print-out on poster board. They get the WH print shop to print out a new huge poster board every few hours or what there?

--Sam
    I'm not rewriting the whole thread for you. Asked and answered.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Not really, unless you're doing a hit piece.
    I'm not aware of any reason for a morning hurricane briefing to the President requiring a large, full-color print-out on poster board. They get the WH print shop to print out a new huge poster board every few hours or what there?

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Kinda weird that the WH was carrying around a giant board with a momentary projection of a hurricane's path and decided "well, that's what we've got on hand", I'd think.
    Not really, unless you're doing a hit piece.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by myth View Post
    you don't "got it", or your you'd stop your attacking the straw man you erected. Belaboring the point you've made, which is entirely erroneous, isn't helping your argument. I don't understand how it's possible you think my argument here has anything to do with the public's ability to turn on the news.

quit. Attacking. The. Straw. Man.
    No. One. Gets. Weather. From. The. White. House.

None of the negative effects you postulated happened, because

No. One. Gets. Weather. From. The. White. House.

Originally posted by Myth
    My concern is about the information being BROADCAST by the media, not the public's ability to interpret it. The public's ability to interpret information is not generally impressive, but that's another argument (and one which I have so far said nothing at all about in this thread).
    *emphasis mine

Unless the public actually takes it seriously - which it didn't because WH - this makes no difference. I got it - but it had no real world bearing.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    No, I got it. What idiot wouldn't look up the local immediately? None. And no one panicked, no agencies went into over drive - the public here is kind used to weather reporting as life saving - happens twice a year, every year. We hear 'soandso said' and we immediately look it up, or turn on the news, to find out what we need to know.
    You don't "got it", or your you'd stop your attacking the straw man you erected. Belaboring the point you've made, which is entirely erroneous, isn't helping your argument. I don't understand how it's possible you think my argument here has anything to do with the public's ability to turn on the news.

You don't know what you don't know. One has to know there's a need to look up the information in order to have the desire to do so.

Quit. Attacking. The. Straw. Man.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    The WH has published one since - my guess? Didn't have it handy.
    Kinda weird that the WH was carrying around a giant board with a momentary projection of a hurricane's path and decided "well, that's what we've got on hand", I'd think.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Blah, blah, hate Trump, blah blah.

Asked and ALREADY answered.
    Personally, given the unprecedented corruption of the Trump administration, I find Trump Defense Syndrome a much greater cause for concern than Trump Derangement Syndrome.

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Why didn't he simply show a picture of the outdated map instead of drawing a new one, then?
    The WH has published one since - my guess? Didn't have it handy.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    No, you posted a screenshot of an earlier (~Aug. 29/30) projection cone that doesn't include a weird little hump.

It remains the case that Trump misrepresented the projection data and analysis at the time and then later (seemingly successfully) compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record.

Sure, locals can check up on local sources -- but if the President is forcing agencies to go back and call out NWS, for example, what are the chances that NWS in the future wouldn't contradict the President, allowing false information to stand?

At minimum, the President is creating a culture of disinformation and wasting public time and funds in the effort.

--Sam
    Blah, blah, hate Trump, blah blah.

Asked and ALREADY answered.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    I posted the screenshot of NBC broadcasting one.
    No, you posted a screenshot of an earlier (~Aug. 29/30) projection cone that doesn't include a weird little hump.

It remains the case that Trump misrepresented the projection data and analysis at the time and then later (seemingly successfully) compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record.

Sure, locals can check up on local sources -- but if the President is forcing agencies to go back and call out NWS, for example, what are the chances that NWS in the future wouldn't contradict the President, allowing false information to stand?

At minimum, the President is creating a culture of disinformation and wasting public time and funds in the effort.

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Please read more carefully. You're completely ignoring my actual concern.

My concern is about the information being BROADCAST by the media, not the public's ability to interpret it. The public's ability to interpret information is not generally impressive, but that's another argument (and one which I have so far said nothing at all about in this thread).
    No, I got it. What idiot wouldn't look up the local immediately? None. And no one panicked, no agencies went into over drive - the public here is kind used to weather reporting as life saving - happens twice a year, every year. We hear 'soandso said' and we immediately look it up, or turn on the news, to find out what we need to know.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Why didn't he simply show a picture of the outdated map instead of drawing a new one, then?

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    It's no deal at all. He was called a liar when he didn't lie. You're just looking for fault - this nitpicking is why no one takes the outrage seriously anymore. He could bomb Russia and I doubt most would believe either the media or the anti-Trump crowd at this point.

You can have better in 2024 - I want the only real shot we've had to end Roe stay and do that job. Besides, there's nothing of substance in the Dem field excepting maybe Williamson and Gabbard.

Felonious Sharpie - good grief.
    Trump intentionally misrepresented the truth because he wanted to look good on Twitter. The distinction between an outright lie and an intentional deception is, in this instance, entirely beside the point.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    There was no map that included a small hump over to AL on the cone...
    I posted the screenshot of NBC broadcasting one.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I do agree that Obama trying to make good on the beer summit thing was a good thing, if that's his actual motivation. I was a cop when that happened, and his administrations complete lack of support and antagonistic attitude towards LEOs in general would have given me pause. I remarked to my family at the time, that if Obama singled me out with those comments and then invited me to have a beer, I don't believe I'd have gone. There'd be nothing to really talk about, and I wouldn't have wanted to give him the positive PR over the issue. If he wanted to have a beer without advertising I was there, I'd have been game.
    And he didn't live up to it, in my estimation. But I try to give credit when due.

Leave a comment: