Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This is rich coming from someone who falsely accused his fellow Christians of not obeying scripture and of being callous and hard-hearted because we disagree with applying Old Testament laws directly to the policies of the US government.
    Well first of all I never said that. And second, once you drop into this deep a layer of mud, there is no coming back, so we are done for now.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Because Jim, I know resources are limited, we just can't take in all the world's poor or even just the ones that want to come in. For goodness sake we can't even take care of the poor we have.
      That has little to nothing to do with what is happening. Cutting back to nearly zero is NOT a necessity. It is an administration on a warpath against anyone NOT born in the USA that might like to come here. These are people that are fleeing horrors you or I have never witnessed and hopefully never will. They have nowhere to go. And we have a responsibility to help with that. We don't have to take them all. But we need to take our fair share. We are one of the wealthiest nations on the Earth if not the wealthiest. We don't have those resources so we can just git fatter and richer. There are people out there suffering and we have the means to help some of them.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I have personally helped the poor and needy by my own hand. Have you?
        Yes. But that is not the right question. The question is, how can a person have compassion for someone in the name of Christ, and then, in the name of Trump, support cutting off the poorest of the poor?

We can't serve two masters MM.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
          The people arguing that it's no big deal to refuse refugees welcome in the USA (and a good many of them flat out think/say we shouldn't have no plan for effective resettlement elsewhere -- they just want it to be someone else's burden.
          Nobody has argued that.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man
            This is rich coming from someone who falsely accused his fellow Christians of not obeying scripture and of being callous and hard-hearted because we disagree with applying Old Testament laws directly to the policies of the US government.
            Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Well first of all I never said that.
            This is a lie. You said exactly that:
            Sam, you have it right. Only the hardest of hearts can hear these words and not be humbled, not be confronted by their own failure to live by these words. It is most disturbing to see the utter callousness by which they are here often dismissed. I rarely reference them anymore on these pages so distubed am I by how their power is mocked by so many here.

Jim
            And in case you've forgotten, the premise of this thread is that a Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for United States immigration policy, a premise you have vigorously defended even to the point of hypocritically questioning the sincerity of your fellow believers.

And second, once you drop into this deep a layer of mud, there is no coming back...
            I suppose a mud-dweller like you would know better than any of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              The question is, how can a person have compassion for someone in the name of Christ, and then, in the name of Trump, support cutting off the poorest of the poor?

We can't serve two masters MM.
              I have never invoked the name of Trump, nor do I serve him as a master. As usual, your self-righteous condemnation misses its mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Nonsense, we can't care for the people we have.
                The government decided that it had enough money to provide a $1.5+ trillion tax cut, almost all of which was built to wealthy families and corporations during a period of economic growth, and I don't think you complained at all.

A single F-35 jet will cost >$90 million and the government has been building tanks that DoD says it doesn't need because those tanks are built in influential congressmen's districts. The tanks just get parked.

We have resources aplenty.

--Sam
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

And in case you've forgotten, the premise of this thread is that a Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for United States immigration policy, a premise you have vigorously defended even to the point of hypocritically questioning the sincerity of your fellow believers.
                  As the OP, I can state with great certainty that that is not the premise of this thread. Using a Scriptural verse that originates in the Hebrew Scripture to describe a universal Christian statement that runs through the entire gamut of Scripture and Christian tradition does not equate to "a[n] Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for United States immigration policy".

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Nobody has argued that.
                    Yes, I would say that they have. Very few here have pronounced any problem whatsoever with the Trump administration's reduction of refugees or the proposal to reduce admissions to zero. Fewer still have decried it as a deep violation of Christian principles, something y'all have no problem talking about when it comes to hot-button conservative issues.

--Sam

Comment

As the OP, I can state with great certainty that that is not the premise of this thread. Using a Scriptural verse that originates in the Hebrew Scripture to describe a universal Christian statement that runs through the entire gamut of Scripture and Christian tradition does not equate to "a[n] Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for United States immigration policy".

--Sam
                      You started the thread with a quote from Deuteronomy and then declared "We know what God has commanded in terms of the refugee, the dispossessed, and the desperate who come to our land" before chastising the Trump administration for contemplating a change in policy with regard to refugees.

I can't see how that can be interpreted as anything other than you proclaiming that Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for government policy. If you want to talk about our individual responsibility as Christians then say so and leave the government out of it.

Comment

Fewer still have decried it as a deep violation of Christian principles...
                        Because it's not. Jesus said to give to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar, and to give to God that which belongs to God. You, however, are implying that we should compel Caesar to give to God on our behalf.

Comment

I would like Christians who believe that Christian principles regarding giving safety, comfort, and welcome to marginalized and desperate people carry at least as much weight as , say, who gets access to contraceptives or marriage licenses.

--Sam
                          Why?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You started the thread with a quote from Deuteronomy and then declared "We know what God has commanded in terms of the refugee, the dispossessed, and the desperate who come to our land" before chastising the Trump administration for contemplating a change in policy with regard to refugees.

I can't see how that can be interpreted as anything other than you proclaiming that Old Testament law should be used as a guiding principle for government policy. If you want to talk about our individual responsibility as Christians then say so and leave the government out of it.
                            "Leave the government out of it" would invoke an ironic chuckle if we weren't talking about desperate refugees.

And we do know what God has commanded, and not just back in those OT days that y'all have drawn from in your opposition to the State allowing same-sex marriage or adoption to same-sex parents.

--Sam

Comment

Yes, I would say that they have. Very few here have pronounced any problem whatsoever with the Trump administration's reduction of refugees or the proposal to reduce admissions to zero. Fewer still have decried it as a deep violation of Christian principles, something y'all have no problem talking about when it comes to hot-button conservative issues.

--Sam
                              It is not a Christian principle to force others to live by Christian principles, is it?
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Because it's not. Jesus said to give to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar, and to give to God that which belongs to God. You, however, are implying that we should compel Caesar to give to God on our behalf.
                                Refusing to be gaslit, at least some of us know perfectly well the hell that would rain down as comments in this forum were the US government to announce that it would use taxpayer dollars to subsidize elective abortions in the country.

The abdication of moral expectation from government representatives here was sudden, sectarian, and shameful.

--Sam

Comment