Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Autocrat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yeah, I've not seen anybody on the left or right suggest he was a fool, just that he seemed confused and not in full possession of his faculties. This is in sharp contrast to the man with a razor sharp legal mind and laser like focus we were sold for the past two years.
    And that's exactly the contrast they have been drawing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Perhaps, but that doesn't change the facts of what is in the report itself....
      Tap your heels together three times while repeating "Trump is going down, Trump is going down, Trump....."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

...what is in the report, which Mueller affirmed, is that the President is guilty of much obstruction, witness tampering, etc.
        There's Jimmy's desperate spin, and then there's the truth:

"As we say in the report and as I said at the opening, we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime."
        -Special Counsel Robert "Dirty Cop" Mueller
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          There's Jimmy's desperate spin, and then there's the truth:

"As we say in the report and as I said at the opening, we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime."
          -Special Counsel Robert "Dirty Cop" Mueller
          Don't be a knucklehead, MM. That's been explained to you ad infinitum. What Mueller also made clear yesterday, contrary to Trumps constant and public lie, is that he could not and did not clear the President of crimes, or exonerate him, which if he could have done so, he would have. He left that to congress, which btw he also made clear to be the intent of the report.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            Don't be a knucklehead, MM. That's been explained to you ad infinitum. What Mueller also made clear yesterday, contrary to Trumps constant and public lie, is that he could not and did not clear the President of crimes, or exonerate him, which if he could have done so, he would have. He left that to congress, which btw he also made clear to be the intent of the report.
            I guess you missed the part where two committee members challenged Mueller to name the legal code that gives a prosecutor the authority to "exonerate" the subject of an investigation, and Mueller couldn't answer! This ridiculous idea that it is a prosecutor's job to "exonerate" turns the entire notion of "innocent until proven guilty" on its head.

Comment

You normally can't "exonerate" anyone in an investigation, since they are already innocent unless you can prove them guilty. They don't try to prove you innocent and exonerate you, since that is the default position. Now if you are accused of a crime and the investigation finds someone else did it instead of you, then you can be "exonerated" because someone else was guilty.

Comment

• mueller_testifies.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Oh I actually think you do listen to conservative sources. You just dismiss them.
                  Actually - no. I find that I nod "yes" to the conservative sources about 30-40% of the time (immigration, fiscal responsibility, etc.). I shake "no" the rest of the time. I nod "yes" to the left-leaning sources about 40-50% of the time. Then there are those positions in which I don't appear to align with either camp. So your characterization is wrong.

But as I said to CP, my experience is I will likely be told you know my mind better than I and your will stick to your perception, so I'll leave the last word on this to you.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    It was toward the end of the first testimony - and no one is spinning anything. It's not a point of evidence - I made that clear.
                    I'll look for it. Thanks.

ETA: Just did, and reviewed the audio. I'm seeing a man with a long career who served under six presidents being asked a question out of the blue about one of them and brain farting on it. It gets a big "yawn" from me. He laughed and apologized for misremembering. I don't know why it gets one iota of attention, except it can be spun into "confused, dazed, and onset dementia."
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-25-2019, 11:28 AM.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      I'll look for it. Thanks.

ETA: Just did, and reviewed the audio. I'm seeing a man with a long career who served under six presidents being asked a question out of the blue about one of them and brain farting on it. It gets a big "yawn" from me. He laughed and apologized for misremembering. I don't know why it gets one iota of attention, except it can be spun into "confused, dazed, and onset dementia."
                      Okay, now you are being DELIBERATELY nasty. I ALREADY SAID anyone could have a bad day - I did NOT use the incident as evidence that Mueller was impaired - I simply noted that there MIGHT be a reason for that mistake and the overall poor performance.

READ THE WHOLE POST!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Cause to be done isn't DO. The point stands.

They either do it now or it never happens - no one is gonna sit still for another round of 'lookie, we can't prove what we set out to prove' investigation of any sort. The time to put up or shut up has come.
                        I know many on the right want this to be true, but for many of us it simply is not. I want to know if our president is profiting from his decisions, and making them to inflate his wealth rather than improve our country. I want to know if the bizarre positions Trump has taken internationally are because he is laboring under the control of a foreign power. I want to know what OTHER (and more serious) lies Trump has told besides the bold-faced ones he tells day after day. I want to know if he compromised our national security in bypassing security credential approval processes. I want to know if he set out to obstruct the investigation about Russian interference in our elections. I (and many like me) would be VERY happy to see this fully investigated in public view.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Not gonna happen - far more likely to bury the Democrats and Pelosi knows it. She wants this whole fiasco dead and buried as fast as possible. Any further dragging out of the nonsense can only hurt Democrats - this is the second huge disappointment the Dems have hyped and I expect it will cost them in 2020 as it is.
                        We'll see.

Comment

Yep - and the point stands - it's still a setback.
                          Umm...OK. I'd say it's pretty commonplace for some indictments/accusations to fall off the table as they work through the process. Focusing on the ones that have fallen off and ignoring the ones that are continuing through is the very definition of "cherry picking."

Comment

Actually - no. I find that I nod "yes" to the conservative sources about 30-40% of the time (immigration, fiscal responsibility, etc.). I shake "no" the rest of the time. I nod "yes" to the left-leaning sources about 40-50% of the time. Then there are those positions in which I don't appear to align with either camp. So your characterization is wrong.

But as I said to CP, my experience is I will likely be told you know my mind better than I and your will stick to your perception, so I'll leave the last word on this to you.
                            You try so hard to present yourself as a reasonable centrist. Yet your posts here belie that claim. Especially the way you handwave away any conservative sources we present to you and completely dismiss them. And that isn't mind reading, it is just post reading. Your posts. I am not sure if you are just trying to fool us into thinking you are a moderate/centrist, or you have actually fooled yourself into believing it.

Comment

Except it didn't fail, nor is it over. The only question now is whether or not to begin impeachment hearings now, or as Pelosi would prefer, to wait until all of the evidence is made public thereby putting the onus on the unprincipled, unpatriotic, Republican Senate to either oust Trump from office or face the wrath of a more informed public.. There are still investigations going on, as Mueller made clear yesterday, and there are many witnesses that still need to testify. Trump and his criminal cronies are still obstructing, still defying subpoenas.
                              Well - we'll have to disagree on "failed." I don't think anyone learned anything from those hearings that wasn't in the report and/or wasn't already known - and the Dems should have known that was what was going to happen. All they did was give the Reps a public forum to create a gazillion anti-Mueller soundbites and assemble cherry-picked videos like the one CP provided. The exercise was pointless and, if the Dem continue tripping over themselves like this, they will likely lose, IMO.

They should have simply used the Mueller report as the launching point for congressional investigations (which IS a function of Congress, despite claims to the contrary) to determine in an impeachment is warranted. Pelosi is making an error, IMO.

Comment

Umm...OK. I'd say it's pretty commonplace for some indictments/accusations to fall off the table as they work through the process. Focusing on the ones that have fallen off and ignoring the ones that are continuing through is the very definition of "cherry picking."
                                Not when the only point is 'this is a disappointment to Democrats' - sheesh, you are just trying to start a fight now.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment