Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Yet Christian Conservatives, both in the US and in Denmark have done the same thing. Though they've used different words for it, but they've actively wanted television policed, as well as what sort of pictures can be shown in educational materials, what sort of things that can be discussed, tried to get art pieces removed from a museum, advocated for the return of blasphemy laws. And not just in the particular setting of a religious private school, but in public schools and in media outlets in general.

Same with blasphemous speech, like you and Cow Poke went off on a thick paragraph about. And here's there's a bit of an irresistable parallel to what you call the Politically Correct view. Because as far as I know there are no laws that prevent people from saying politically incorrect things, there's just them being shamed and criticized for it.

You have a point that people don't like that, and society will swing the other way. The Simpsons for instance was a response to that, showing a dysfunctional family, instead of the Brady Bunch, and people loved it because of that. Mostly I think because reality isn't so utterly sanitized as television had become at that point.

This is one of the better character assassinations of that website I've seen in a world.

But they are the bastion of free speech. If "free speech" is defined to be the ability to say anything you want, without personal repercussions because of what you said, then those places are some of the only places on the internet where you can do that. You can say anything there. And anything that can't be said there, like organized targeted harassment and bullying campaigns, can be said on 8chan or Kiwi Farms, or whatever random BBS board is quickly put up to provide a place to organize those events in.

If free speech is defined solely that the government can't punish you for what you say. Then even then you don't have free speech. You can't use your free speech to advocate for violence against minorities, or terrorism. You're not legally allowed to slander a person in public. There are and will always be restraints on what can legally be said.

In Denmark radical Muslim groups have gotten in trouble for some of the prayers that called for the eradication of Jews, even though technically that could fall under religious freedom. Legal repercussions were had against them. The US has similar reasonable restrictions about how far you can push religious freedom as an excuse to say whatever you want. But that's not what Conservatives are complaining about. They're calling it an attack on free speech when a campus, or a college, or another private forum, doesn't allow a hyper right-wing radical a platform to spew racism like Richard Spencer.
    Political Correctness isn't about "free speech" or polite language so much as it is about sex, race and other political groups. Google's dictionary definition captures it pretty good:

"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      We could be Tripplites!!!
      and what about me? Am I the red-headed stepchild of the family?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Political Correctness isn't about "free speech" or polite language so much as it is about sex, race and other political groups. Google's dictionary definition captures it pretty good:

"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."
        How is that not politeness?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I'm completely lost.
          Remember taoist? Same jerk, different name.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Quit picking on the furriners, toasti.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              How is that not politeness?
              I said, "not so much" - it is about "politeness" of a sorts in regards to political groups like race, sex, etc. Not merely politeness and civility in general speech (e.g. not cussing in public) and not about general free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Remember taoist? Same jerk, different name.
                Oh. Huh. Didn't now that. When did he come out? Also, what's a "furriners", and can you explain Juvenal's rofl? I don't get why the snips from Leonhard's post would trigger that sort of response.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  In today's world, I don't trust the people who want to define those limits. You know if they could, Democrats would ban any Christian utterance.
                  This is an important distinction. Just like "there was a time" that opening a Bible in a room full of cussing men would have a calming affect, we no longer live in that world. The same action might literally put one in the hospital.

There was a time when it was totally reasonable that we respect limitations on free speech, due to the need for safety and the desire for civility, but that was before the inmates took over the asylum.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Yes, 'political correctness' taken to extremes is quite unacceptable to anyone on either side. But, properly understood it merely describes language or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage specific groups in society. Surely this is a good thing.
                    The problem is the same with "fairness" -- fair to WHOM? With so many snowflakes today who can be triggered by the slightest imagined offense, it's no longer the "good thing" that it used to be.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In today's world, I don't trust the people who want to define those limits. You know if they could, Democrats would ban any Christian utterance.
                      As we saw with the former gay Mayor of Houston going on a wild hair and issuing subpoenas for sermon notes of pastors whom she perceived opposed her.

ETA: OR is it "wild hare"?
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Okay, well, if you put it that way, I would argue that political correctness is, in practice, very popular on TWeb, even if in theory, people do not like it. Epo became a social pariah on here through his racist postings, and as for groups who are socially disadvantaged/discriminated against, I would say disabilities apply to that. When a user said something about Nick and his autism awhile back, many of the posters on the site (most of whom were politically conservative), called for that user to be banned on the spot without a warning.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Oh. Huh. Didn't now that. When did he come out? Also, what's a "furriners", and can you explain Juvenal's rofl? I don't get why the snips from Leonhard's post would trigger that sort of response.
                          "Furriners" is a cutsie way of referring to persons who are foreign to the US of A.

Comment

and what about me? Am I the red-headed stepchild of the family?
                            OK!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              "Furriners" is a cutsie way of referring to persons who are foreign to the US of A.
                              I've never heard that term before. I always just called them foreigners.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I've never heard that term before. I always just called them foreigners.
                                you have to say it with a southern drawl.

Comment