Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The strange greatness of Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    His country is the US of A. He indicated he lived in the UK for 3 years.
    Well that explains it then. Why would the UK give those rebels across the pond decent healthcare?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yeah, you all say that.

Um.... what put him over the top was your YANKEE states' electoral college votes.
      You seem to think that denizens of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are true "Yankees." While we occasionally let the Penns sit at the kiddie table, a proper Yankee arises from somewhere south of Canada, east of Lake Champlain, north of the Long Island Sound, and west of the Atlantic. The rest are just pretenders and aspirants to the class.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

A)
        In what universe is a customer satisfaction rate of 50-57% good?
        Customer Satisfaction Benchmarks by Industry
        Most of these are easily 76% and above?
        In what universe did I say 57% was good?

But, for the record, Trump seems to think he's doing "good" when he clears 45%.

2)
        A 7% drop would be quite alarming in any of the industries listed.
        In what universe did I say otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          You seem to think that denizens of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are true "Yankees."
          Not the "no true Scotsman" fallacy!!!! Next, you'll be invoking Godwin's law!

While we occasionally let the Penns sit at the kiddie table, a proper Yankee arises from somewhere south of Canada, east of Lake Champlain, north of the Long Island Sound, and west of the Atlantic. The rest are just pretenders and aspirants to the class.
          A Yankee is anybody North of the Red River in Texas!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In what universe did I say 57% was good?
            Ah, another case of defending the number, then arguing you never said it was good. You really need to stop that.

But, for the record, Trump seems to think he's doing "good" when he clears 45%.
            Yeah, and Congress is at 19, so Trump as a 73 point advantage!

In what universe did I say otherwise?
            Just making sure you're seeing where this thing is TRENDING --- that's crucial.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, frankly, most of what he "promised" I didn't want - so I sure as heck am not going to praise him for setting us years or decades back on cleaning our air, making corruption in government worse (so much for drain the swamp), reducing our security in many ways, keeping Guantanamo open, trying to throw millions off healthcare and make it more expensive for the rest of us, trying to defund Planned Parenthood, giving a tax break that primarily benefited the most wealthy, ballooning the national debt (and when asked about it - his response is that he's not concerned because by the time it becomes an issue, he won't be president), and the list goes on.

Of course, if you aren't for the stuff he is doing then it is your right to vote against Trump.

There is nothing about Islamic teachings that is intrinsically antisemitic, AFAIK, so it is not correctly called an "antisemitic philosophy." It is true that there is a great deal of antisemitism in the nations that surround Israel, and its roots are historical ones. That does not justify it, and I agree we should not tolerate it. But I find it ironic that your language here appears to reflect exactly what you seem to object to: dislike for another group that you don't want to see in this country. In this case, the Muslim community.

Unless, of course, I have misunderstood your statement...?

One of the problems of people on the internet is that they always over estimate what they know. Before you wrote the line" " you could have done a wee bit or work to research your claim and you might have found this in the Koran from Surah 5:51:

O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

That sounds a bit anti-Semitic to me, my friend.

How about 5:64 And the Jews say: The hand of Allah is tied up! Their hands shall be shackled and they shall be cursed for what they say. Nay, both His hands are spread out, He expends as He pleases; and what has been revealed to you from your Lord will certainly make many of them increase in inordinacy and unbelief; and We have put enmity and hatred among them till the day of resurrection; whenever they kindle a fire for war Allah puts it out, and they strive to make mischief in the land; and Allah does not love the mischief-makers.

Surah 2: 63-66 And remember We took your covenant and We raised above you (The towering height) of Mount (Sinai) : (Saying): "Hold firmly to what We have given you and bring (ever) to remembrance what is therein: Perchance ye may fear Allah."
              64. But ye turned back thereafter: Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of Allah to you, ye had surely been among the lost.
              65. And well ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected."
              66. So We made it an example to their own time and to their posterity, and a lesson to those who fear Allah.

At least do a bit of research on the topics you state. Oh I forgot, you can't be convinced by examples cause they are not data.

Comment

I know nothing of the UK issues. I do know that a story is just that: a story. At best it is a single data point. So I typically go looking or some data to affirm or refute the observations. I found the annual survey of the NHS, which saw a 7% drop in satisfaction between 2016 and 2017 (I am not finding any 2018 numbers), but remains above 50% - so 57% of the UK population disagrees with your assessment and is generally satisfied with their healthcare. Apparently older people are more satisfied than younger people. The 29% that said they were dissatisfied generally cited issues that seem to align with what you are saying - so clearly there are people there who are not getting what they want.

DUH most people don't have serious health issues and that is when the system is bad--just when you need it. And I said, the system is great if you have the sniffles. And that is the problem. the 57% are healthy and such numbers make it impossible to get rid of the useless health system politically.

But that does not mean we need to adopt the UK model. The five "happiest countries in the world" all have some degree or type of socialized medicine, at least in 2016. And when I go back through various years, the countries that consistently report the most happiness with their healthcare are those with socialized programs and universal coverage.

So yes - I want that. For all of us. I just want to make sure it is done right, and perhaps the UK model is not the best one out there.

One thing you need to understand. Most of those countries have quite small populations compared to the United States. Since we through NATO spend for their defence, and they don't have to spend as much on that, they can use that money to support social programs. Gotta look at the big picture. All the parts

Comment

Well that explains it then. Why would the UK give those rebels across the pond decent healthcare?
                  Because they give everyone in their country this excellent sniffle healthcare but bad if it is serious healthcare.

Comment

As for healthcare - I think any human being who is ill or in need of healthcare should receive it. I don't stop to check for a green card before I help a sick neighbor.
                    Let's look at this statement. Do you think doctors should be forced to work for free? If so, you believe in slavery for doctors. If you make healthcare free, then the government has to tell the doctors what they will be paid. I don't know what you do for a living but I don't think you would like it very much if a government bureaucrat determined your salary. In Canada, doctors can't go out on their own, they can and do in the UK after some years of practice. It is this Independent doctor care in the UK that provides the care for the politicians there, not the government owned system. But to go to one of those doctors you have to pay a lot of money. It isn't socialized at all. All the stuff I have talked about is what is provided to the poor. The wealthy in the UK still have better access to healthcare.

to your comment
                    But I find it ironic that your language here appears to reflect exactly what you seem to object to: dislike for another group that you don't want to see in this country. In this case, the Muslim community.

First, I pointed out above how shallow your knowledge of the Koran is--I have read it; clearly you haven't. Second, I wouldn't want a bunch of German Nazi's imported here either--would that be wrong? I don't think having a group of folk who hate another group is a good thing. As the Koran quotes show, this dislike of the Jews has nothing to do with the State of Israel cause it didn't exist when Mohammed wrote the Koran.

Comment

• I'm honestly surprised that nobody has made a "The Great Strangeness of Donald Trump" jibe.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I'm honestly surprised that nobody has made a "The Great Strangeness of Donald Trump" jibe.
                        The Great Strangeness of Donald Trump is perhaps a more appropriate arrangement of the words ...

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          I know nothing of the UK issues. I do know that a story is just that: a story. At best it is a single data point. So I typically go looking or some data to affirm or refute the observations. I found the annual survey of the NHS, which saw a 7% drop in satisfaction between 2016 and 2017 (I am not finding any 2018 numbers), but remains above 50% - so 57% of the UK population disagrees with your assessment and is generally satisfied with their healthcare. Apparently older people are more satisfied than younger people. The 29% that said they were dissatisfied generally cited issues that seem to align with what you are saying - so clearly there are people there who are not getting what they want.

But that does not mean we need to adopt the UK model. The five "happiest countries in the world" all have some degree or type of socialized medicine, at least in 2016. And when I go back through various years, the countries that consistently report the most happiness with their healthcare are those with socialized programs and universal coverage.

So yes - I want that. For all of us. I just want to make sure it is done right, and perhaps the UK model is not the best one out there.
                          except when it is your story or claim. Then everyone is expected to accept it as the gospel universal truth. And if they complain you simply handwave it away as, "I don't care if you accept it or not"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Not the "no true Scotsman" fallacy!!!! Next, you'll be invoking Godwin's law!

A Yankee is anybody North of the Red River in Texas!
                            Pagan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Ah, another case of defending the number, then arguing you never said it was good. You really need to stop that.
                              Ah, another case of reading into a post something not put there, then arguing against it. You really need to stop that.

Yeah, and Congress is at 19, so Trump as a 73 point advantage!
                              Now that was good. A REALLY bad case of statistical fallacy - but funny none the less.

Just making sure you're seeing where this thing is TRENDING --- that's crucial.

Comment

• My Rhode Island born and raised MIL would be having a fit about the definition of "Yankees" as including parts of the Upper Midwest.
                                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                                Save me, save me"

Comment