Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Britain's Version Of 'Medicare For All' Is Struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain's Version Of 'Medicare For All' Is Struggling

Britain's Version Of 'Medicare For All' Is Struggling With Long Waits For Care

Nearly a quarter of a million British patients have been waiting more than six months to receive planned medical treatment from the National Health Service, according to a recent report from the Royal College of Surgeons. More than 36,000 have been in treatment queues for nine months or more.

Long waits for care are endemic to government-run, single-payer systems like the NHS. Yet some U.S. lawmakers want to import that model from across the pond. That would be a massive blunder.

Consider how long it takes to get care at the emergency room in Britain. Government data show that hospitals in England only saw 84.2% of patients within four hours in February. That's well below the country's goal of treating 95% of patients within four hours -- a target the NHS hasn't hit since 2015.

Now, instead of cutting wait times, the NHS is looking to scrap the goal.

Wait times for cancer treatment -- where timeliness can be a matter of life and death -- are also far too lengthy. According to January NHS England data, almost 25% of cancer patients didn't start treatment on time despite an urgent referral by their primary care doctor. That's the worst performance since records began in 2009.

And keep in mind that "on time" for the NHS is already 62 days after referral.

Unsurprisingly, British cancer patients fare worse than those in the United States. Only 81% of breast cancer patients in the United Kingdom live at least five years after diagnosis, compared to 89% in the United States. Just 83% of patients in the United Kingdom live five years after a prostate cancer diagnosis, versus 97% here in America.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This has been the status quo in England's medical system for decades.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Probably the same in Canada. Didn't mossy say her husband had to wait a very long time for a procedure or test?

Last year I went in to see a Cardiologist after both of my brothers had bypass surgery in the last year. They had me on the table for a heart catheterization procedure within a week. They wanted to do it sooner but I had to schedule my time off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Probably the same in Canada. Didn't mossy say her husband had to wait a very long time for a procedure or test?

Last year I went in to see a Cardiologist after both of my brothers had bypass surgery in the last year. They had me on the table for a heart catheterization procedure within a week. They wanted to do it sooner but I had to schedule my time off.

Yes.

They just throw more money at it and it doesn't get any better. My sister is currently waiting until November for a knee replacement. Since January.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Yes.

They just throw more money at it and it doesn't get any better. My sister is currently waiting until November for a knee replacement. Since January.

When the government controls how much the doctor's gets paid, then there is less incentive to become a doctor. Plus an incentive to pack as many patients in as possible to maximize their pay, meaning long wait times. So you end up with a shortage of doctors and a long waiting list for seeing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Britain's Version Of 'Medicare For All' Is Struggling With Long Waits For Care

Nearly a quarter of a million British patients have been waiting more than six months to receive planned medical treatment from the National Health Service, according to a recent report from the Royal College of Surgeons. More than 36,000 have been in treatment queues for nine months or more.

Long waits for care are endemic to government-run, single-payer systems like the NHS. Yet some U.S. lawmakers want to import that model from across the pond. That would be a massive blunder.

Consider how long it takes to get care at the emergency room in Britain. Government data show that hospitals in England only saw 84.2% of patients within four hours in February. That's well below the country's goal of treating 95% of patients within four hours -- a target the NHS hasn't hit since 2015.

Now, instead of cutting wait times, the NHS is looking to scrap the goal.

Wait times for cancer treatment -- where timeliness can be a matter of life and death -- are also far too lengthy. According to January NHS England data, almost 25% of cancer patients didn't start treatment on time despite an urgent referral by their primary care doctor. That's the worst performance since records began in 2009.

And keep in mind that "on time" for the NHS is already 62 days after referral.

Unsurprisingly, British cancer patients fare worse than those in the United States. Only 81% of breast cancer patients in the United Kingdom live at least five years after diagnosis, compared to 89% in the United States. Just 83% of patients in the United Kingdom live five years after a prostate cancer diagnosis, versus 97% here in America.

There is a fundamental correlation between rewarding high performance and creating disparity. If we set things up so that the best can truly do their best, then the worst look a good bit worse by comparison. It's fundamental to being human, and to human nature. BUT, If the best are kept from doing their best, we end up with mediocrity.

Universal health care almost always ends up taking away the incentive and the reward to the doctors and to the hospitals for being the best. And so instead of having the best medical care available (for a price) you end up with a a mediocre medical system available to all.

But what that does then is hurt the most needy out there, because they can no longer get the care they need at any price. If great care is available for a price, then it is always possible some one or some organization can foot the bill for a sufficiently needy person unable to aford that care. But if it doesn't exist at all, there is now no hope for them.

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              There is a fundamental correlation between rewarding high performance and creating disparity. If we set things up so that the best can truly do their best, then the worst look a good bit worse by comparison. It's fundamental to being human, and to human nature. BUT, If the best are kept from doing their best, we end up with mediocrity.

Universal health care almost always ends up taking away the incentive and the reward to the doctors and to the hospitals for being the best. And so instead of having the best medical care available (for a price) you end up with a a mediocre medical system available to all.

But what that does then is hurt the most needy out there, because they can no longer get the care they need at any price. If great care is available for a price, then it is always possible some one or some organization can foot the bill for a sufficiently needy person unable to aford that care. But if it doesn't exist at all, there is now no hope for them.

Jim
              Exactly, which is why you see rich people coming to the USA from these countries to get medical treatment. Because they can afford it and they know they are getting the best care.

Comment

Here's the healthcare debate in a nutshell:
                • High quality
                • Low cost
                • Everybody covered

Pick two.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Exactly, which is why you see rich people coming to the USA from these countries to get medical treatment. Because they can afford it and they know they are getting the best care.
                  FWIU, folks in the UK can buy separate insurance and use it at private hospitals/Dr's offices. But, I believe it's pretty pricey...
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Here's the healthcare debate in a nutshell:
                    • High quality
                    • Low cost
                    • Everybody covered

Pick two.
                    Kinda like my mechanic:

We can fix your car
                    • fast
                    • cheap
                    • good

Pick two.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      FWIU, folks in the UK can buy separate insurance and use it at private hospitals/Dr's offices. But, I believe it's pretty pricey...

We have to buy separate insurance if we want vision and dental care, or prescriptions, because those things aren't covered by the health care system. Vision exams are covered if you are under 18 or over 65, but there is no coverage for any dental or glasses or any scripts.

But, abortions and "gender reassignment" surgeries are fully covered.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The latest is Mick Jagger who is coming to New York for heart surgery rather than getting treated in Britain.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment